oh I wish I could decide on a colour.

Well Bob... if you lived in L.A....

Even a 2 mile trip to Walgreens takes two hours! HA!

Do show us how ya pack the X for your camp trip... I'm imagine-ing a tent and bags and Coleman Stove and the like...

What is the X's "natural color"?

Most cars have a color that is best.
IMO - British Racing Green for a Jag, Silver for a Merc, Dark Blue for a BMW, etc.

But the X IMO doesn't have a color that I automatically associate as being the "proper" color for an X. They seem to look good in all colors except that ghastly orange - sorry if I offend!

My X'es have all been and are red, but despite this I think a really straight body with a lovely Metallic Nero (black with gold fleck) just looks fantastic.

Bottom line is it's your car!!

IMO the three colors that are best on this car are RED, Lime Green, Black and maybe Silver as a follow up color.. I cant stand the two tone or any with yellow... But that is because i have owned those colors I think...:)

I don't know, JJay...

...I kind of like that Camaro. I thought you were going to post a pic of that Alfa you had, that had the graphics on it. Did you have trouble selling THAT one?

...I kind of like that Camaro. I thought you were going to post a pic of that Alfa you had, that had the graphics on it. Did you have trouble selling THAT one?

Nope sold it for almost 8000 to someone in Canada...:D And my GF did the Graphics...:eek:mg:

So.....

....maybe too custom isn't that bad. It is all a matter of personal preference.

I like the green & yellow, just don't know if I could live with 'em. I don't like my red so much, but then it's kinda faded...

...since I didn't pay a dime for the actual car, and don't feel that invested in it emotionally, I may just paint it over myself - rustoleum "Sunrise Red" is a very close match :D

My list of X preferences

Yellow
Red
White
Silver
Black
everything else...
Brown :)
4608981444_92a03b3cda_b.jpg

Silver
Red
Yellow
Green
Black
Gold (mine, at least it isn't brown....sorry)

It seems to depend a bit on the actual car though, A yellow car with the wrong wheels might look worse than another.
It's the over all effect I guess is what I mean.
I'm not a huge fan of my gold metallic but it looks different in different light and all the black accents work well with gold. I don't think I'd go through the tremendous hassle to do a color change unless it were getting stripped down to a shell anyway.

http://gallery.me.com/jvandyke#100397/SDC10752&bgcolor=black

That's a great looking X!

Brown, I don't understand on any car intended to be considered "sporty" :rolleyes2:

Crazy idea

Somone needs to be brave enough to paint your car like a camo fighter plane! Markings and a big toothy mouth on the front. Wow!

OK, I'm better now. I love bright colors on small cars. But I despise poorly done color changes. My car is sort of BEIGE. Sheesh I might have to puke.

I hate to do an all-over paint, so part of me wants to pick a better color of metallic beige (like from a BMW) that isn't much different, but vastly better than original. I could get away with not painting the whole car.

The other part of me wants to go nuts and paint the car like a big Italian flag kind of on the diagonal. Shwing!!!! That's why I haven't done anything yet......split personalities can't reach an agreement.

It's GREEN, KERMIT GREEN! The OFFICIAL color for an X1/9...

... IMHO.

It especially works well with the FROG-LIKE appearance the car has from the front with the headlamps UP!

BLACK... BTW, hides so many of the nooks and crannies and gaps and lines and even ROUNDS OUT some of the sharp edges. Makes for almost an entirely different car.

All other colors are essentially TWO-TONES as they have all the "black lines" and seams and gaskets, and top and hood covers and bumpers, etc... in ADDITION to the body color.

The whole "FLY yellow" thing is interesting Tony. I have heard that FLY actually is an acronym for "Ferrari Light Yellow" so "FLY yellow" would be Ferrari Light Yellow Yellow :)

I have found this info too from a Ferrari site that indicates that FLY Yellow s the exact shade of the town of Modena, Italy's town shield. The Ferrari Modena itself is supposedly the "only" correct car model that the paint came in, tough I have even seen a Porsche 911 painted in "FLY Yellow". FLY yellow is supposed to now be a proprietary PPG paint name, but don't hold me to that, rumor more than fact.

Two FLY Paint codes include:
20-Y-191 = Giallo FLY

20.Y.490 = Nuovo Giallo FLY

Now I used PPG 8028 I think for my "Giallo Modena" paint. Info at this site ( http://www.eurospares.co.uk/userImag.../PaintCode.htm) says: " Principally Scaglietti-built cars such as the 275 GTB series were delivered with paint manufactured by Glidden Salchi, whereas those built by Pininfarina had paint manufactured by either PPG or Duco, the latter only being in solid colors (non-metallic). The list below details all known paint colors available during the 1965 to 1973 period, where a code number is not listed, this is because the manufacturer did not list one."

The color "Giallo" used from 1965 to mid-1969 is one of those colors, like Nero, where the manufacturer did not assign a paint code.
It appears, according to this chart, that "Giallo FLY" became available in mid-1969.

On other web pages, I've seen the following paint code used for "giallo":

20-Y-346 = Giallo

In more info: "Giacomo Caliri is an Italian former Formula One engineer.
His racing career began in 1966 when Caliri graduated from Turin Polytechnic with a prize-winning thesis on aerodynamics.
He joined Ferrari in 1964 and became the head of aerodynamic studies in the racing department in 1969, replacing Mauro Forghieri who had moved to Ferrari's F1 department for the 1970 season. By 1974, he was the head of the design office at the Fiorano Circuit. He left Ferrari in 1976 and set up FLY Studio in Modena, working in conjunction with Autodelta, Fittipaldi Automotive (he designed the F5A's aerodynamics in 1978) and ATS (he designed ATS D2 in 1979) on the design of competition cars.

He joined the Minardi Formula Two team in 1980 and became a stockholder of the Italian team. He became the technical director of the team in Formula One in 1985 and also designed the first Minardi Formula One car, the Minardi M185. He left Minardi in 1989 and also sold his stock in the team.

He joined Maserati as Technical Director. In 1997 he returned in Ferrari as the head of the Innovation Department. He left Ferrari in 2002 and started as a consultant for the ATR group.

Since 2004, he is the President of Expotecnica.

http://www.fly-studio.it/index.htm

Their contact info on their website is:
Fly-Studio
Viale Malmusi, 88 Viale Malmusi, 88
I-41100 Modena - Italy I-41100 Modena - Italy
email: info*fly-studio.it

Hope this helps. It does appear that Giallo Modena PPG 8028 is the closest you can get for an aftermarket paint for true "FLY yellow".

That's a great looking X!

Brown, I don't understand on any car intended to be considered "sporty" :rolleyes2:

I can't think of ANY car I've ever seen brown that wouldn't have looked better some other color.
The 70's colors were just a bad time. All those beautiful Vette shark bodies painted hideous colors.

Back