Oil leak again

really looking forward to the JAZZY goggles
orangeuvglassesI005-017.jpg

Bob, have you found any of the 13mm cup plugs to replace the leaking one in your oil galley yet? Seems all of the usual Fiat sources either don't carry it or are out of stock. I may have found a generic replacement, available at local parts stores. I'll have to try one to confirm it is the correct size. I also found a part number for another one that should be an exact fit, but it is a little harder to get - my local source has to order them, which may or may not work in my experience. But if the ones I got do not work as well as expected then I'll try that next. Just wondering if you had any luck finding any. Although it does not apply to your engine, my other rebuild uses the larger 16mm flat plugs (I need both sizes for different engines). I thought I found them locally, but turns out they are NLA. However they are listed as in stock at a couple of Fiat suppliers.

Bob, have you found any of the 13mm cup plugs to replace the leaking one in your oil galley yet? Seems all of the usual Fiat sources either don't carry it or are out of stock. I may have found a generic replacement, available at local parts stores. I'll have to try one to confirm it is the correct size. I also found a part number for another one that should be an exact fit, but it is a little harder to get - my local source has to order them, which may or may not work in my experience. But if the ones I got do not work as well as expected then I'll try that next. Just wondering if you had any luck finding any. Although it does not apply to your engine, my other rebuild uses the larger 16mm flat plugs (I need both sizes for different engines). I thought I found them locally, but turns out they are NLA. However they are listed as in stock at a couple of Fiat suppliers.
Jeff -

Any luck finding the core plug, and if so, where?

Assuming you are referring to the 13mm block "oil galley" ones, yes and no. There are a few other sizes of oil and coolant galley plugs which differ in size/type between engines, so that's why I wanted to make sure we are referring to the 13mm "cup" ones here.

I say "yes and no" because 'yes' they are available from Eurosport in the UK (link below), but 'no' because I decided to use non-Fiat ones, so I did not buy these. The ones I got were from a wholesale supplier I use in Europe along with a larger order of other parts.

Let me know if you are referring to other sizes and/or types of plugs and I'll add info on them.

Assuming you are referring to the 13mm block "oil galley" ones, yes and no. There are a few other sizes of oil and coolant galley plugs which differ in size/type between engines, so that's why I wanted to make sure we are referring to the 13mm "cup" ones here.

I say "yes and no" because 'yes' they are available from Eurosport in the UK (link below), but 'no' because I decided to use non-Fiat ones, so I did not buy these. The ones I got were from a wholesale supplier I use in Europe along with a larger order of other parts.

Let me know if you are referring to other sizes and/or types of plugs and I'll add info on them.
Thanks Jeff. I ended up ordering from HDengineparts per EricH’s post, the 33/64” Clevites, in case my machinist does not have them or 13mm in stock (he’ll be in the shop Sunday checking). Folks are keen for the first firing report, as am I enthusiastic to fulfill.

Thanks Jeff. I ended up ordering from HDengineparts per EricH’s post, the 33/64” Clevites, in case my machinist does not have them or 13mm in stock (he’ll be in the shop Sunday checking). Folks are keen for the first firing report, as am I enthusiastic to fulfill.
Glad you found something. I forgot to mention the 13mm ones I went with were for a VW engine, and were easier to locate that way but still not readily available everywhere. However I think a VW dealer should be able to order them.

I am rebuilding three different Fiat SOHC engines at the same time and due to them being different years they use different sizes/types of plugs in the various locations. Since I preferred to not leave any of the old plugs in for the entire engines, that ment I needed a long list of various ones to replace everything. For a couple of plug sizes (e.g. coolant expansion plugs on the block) I did similar to what you suggest and bought "inch" sized items that were close enough to work. And for most of the oil galley ones (particularly the smaller stuff, like on the crankshaft, etc) I tapped the holes and used threaded plugs. So I ended up not using any of the original Fiat type. Everything came from local sources except the 13mm VW items I got from Europe.

Back