Pops and bangs?

Dine

Nico
Hey, guys, I've been playing around with doing cat and muffler deletes and listening to my engine truly roar. I noticed there are a decent bit of deceleration pops and bangs but they're still rather quiet and infrequent. Does anyone have a good setup for some beautiful pops and bangs? IE what's the best way to approach it for the best results knowing that there are multiple ways you can get pops and bangs from your car. I drive a 1980 carbeurated X by the way. Also is it even recomended or will I be destroying my exhaust manifold.

The pops and bangs are caused by air leaks in the exhaust. You could loosen all your exhaust joint nuts and see what happens. I'm tired of the pops and bangs in my exhaust but would truly love to have flames shooting out the tailpipe.

The pops and bangs are caused by air leaks in the exhaust. You could loosen all your exhaust joint nuts and see what happens. I'm tired of the pops and bangs in my exhaust but would truly love to have flames shooting out the tailpipe.
Well then Carl, just retard and advance your timing until you hear a great big bang. Only, it maybe the last one from that engine and it will come from the carbs. Don't forget to put that on youtube.

would truly love to have flames shooting out the tailpipe
That's fairly easy to do. Search "exhaust flame throwers" online.

hqdefault.jpg

Pops and bangs, unless like already said is a state of tune. Unfortunately not very desirable, especially in a carburated car. The tune that is. What you are trying to create is a over rich unburnt fuel mixture in your exhaust, which needs a way to ignite it and/ or oxygen to support it. Having a catalytic converter will take most of that opportunity away from you as it is designed to superheat the exhaust and burn off exactly what you need for your pops and bangs. it happens a lot on race cars for that exact reason. Race cars run rich under closed throttle situations due to the rapid closing ot the throttle plates. There is a fair amount of unburnt fuel left from the last full throttle acceleration. When reopening the throttle a rush of new oxygen and superheated exhaust gas enters the open exhaust causing an ignition inside of the tail pipe. This is kind of a simplified description of what happens but hopefully it helps.

On your street car if that is what you want I would remove the catalytic converter. jet the carb to the rich side. and create a small exhaust leak near the manifold. IT would create the conditions you are looking for. And dont feel bad. My son wants the exact same thing for his 2017 abarth spider and is planning to spend a lot of money for a pops and bangs tune.

If you want a noisier exhaust, you could get some headers and aftermarket mufflers. Or there is another way. My wife recently complained about my 17 years son car's being noisy. He got the car for 6 months and the muffler sounds suddenly more raucous. I slip under the car just to found out 5 recently drilled holes into the pipe in the middle of the car. They happened to be just the same size than the bit that was actually on my drill! Guess my son was thinking his car wasn't sporty enough (it's a Kia Forte). He didn't say it was him, but he kind of looking guilty when I had to buy some parts to repair...

drilled holes into the pipe
Way back in my high school days there was a couple of guys that punched a hole in the muffler on their cars to make it sound more powerful. The funny part is they had totally stock, plain, generally undesirable cars so everyone knew what they had done - making them a bit of a joke.

Pops and bangs, unless like already said is a state of tune. Unfortunately not very desirable, especially in a carburated car. The tune that is. What you are trying to create is a over rich unburnt fuel mixture in your exhaust, which needs a way to ignite it and/ or oxygen to support it. Having a catalytic converter will take most of that opportunity away from you as it is designed to superheat the exhaust and burn off exactly what you need for your pops and bangs. it happens a lot on race cars for that exact reason. Race cars run rich under closed throttle situations due to the rapid closing ot the throttle plates. There is a fair amount of unburnt fuel left from the last full throttle acceleration. When reopening the throttle a rush of new oxygen and superheated exhaust gas enters the open exhaust causing an ignition inside of the tail pipe. This is kind of a simplified description of what happens but hopefully it helps.

On your street car if that is what you want I would remove the catalytic converter. jet the carb to the rich side. and create a small exhaust leak near the manifold. IT would create the conditions you are looking for. And dont feel bad. My son wants the exact same thing for his 2017 abarth spider and is planning to spend a lot of money for a pops and bangs tune.
I’ll give it a go👍 Time to ruin my mpg.

I get the cool factor of a engine that snarls, pops, farts, bangs, and spits...think of a world rally car on a tarmac circuit. That is if the rest of the car fits the bill; it just wouldn't seem right to see a crappy car making all the odd noises, that would appear more like a broken engine than a hot one.

In addition to the very rich over-run, I've seen where things like the cam timing can also make that happen. I recall there was a trend with the "hot rod" (American V8 engines) crowd several years ago to have something like that, plus a "lumpy" idle (e.g. a blower engine). So cam makers developed a profile that created the effect. But I wouldn't want to experiment with something as critical as my cam timing to find out if it works here. I also had a situation where the AIR pump hoses got installed in reverse positions on a engine, so the pump was feeding air into the wrong part of the system. Everytime the throttle was let off there would be a huge explosion in the muffler. I imagine there are also ways to tune a EFI system's ECU to make it happen. The flame thrower systems (see my prior post) install a spark plug in the tailpipe, connected to a seperate coil and triggered by a circuit to make the plug fire repeatedly as raw fuel is pumped into the exhaust (via a secondary pump). For really big flames they feed it with gasses like propane. Or you could build a really high strung high performance engine with a big turbo and have the real thing.

Hey, guys, I've been playing around with doing cat and muffler deletes and listening to my engine truly roar. I noticed there are a decent bit of deceleration pops and bangs but they're still rather quiet and infrequent. Does anyone have a good setup for some beautiful pops and bangs? IE what's the best way to approach it for the best results knowing that there are multiple ways you can get pops and bangs from your car. I drive a 1980 carbeurated X by the way. Also is it even recomended or will I be destroying my exhaust manifold.
De-smog your car, add freer flowing air filter (or none at all) and freer flowing exhaust.
You'll get the crackling and sounds you desire.
Occasionally flames out of the tips.
Regularly flashes of fire in the tips, as the poping and crackling emanates.

@Dine , When You will have done it, please share Your results.
Here's my car, which follows Eastep's recipe above. I should mount the camera under the bumper to see if I get any flames. 😆

I had a previous run that was filmed with a GoPro knock off that I just bought, but the wind noise drowned out the engine noise...too bad, it had some really loud bangs. Nothing like the BRZ at the 2:15 mark though...jeez.

Here's the vid:

Last edited:
Here's the vid
Excellent vid, here are my thoughts:
1) Nice example of why "pops and bangs" are cool.
2) Please remind us exactly what your setup is so we can appreciate what contributes to your sound.
3) At some points I hear a squeak. If that's your pedal box then clean and lube it before the bushing seizes and causes a lot of damage. But it might have only been the brakes, not sure.
4) I see you have COX cable there. I had decent (not great) service from them in SoCal. But here in Vegas they totally suck. Hope it's better in Canada.
5) Too bad the climate isn't like that year around there.
Thanks for posting.

I thought pops and bangs is normal on our cars. I had that on my 1500 and sometimes "gun shots" as you can hear on this video at around 0.45. I hope for even more pops with UT engine, and flames maybe.

I hope for even more pops with UT engine, and flames maybe.
A turbo makes a excellent muffler, so the noises may not be as obvious. But it also makes the exhaust hotter, so if you have raw fuel exiting the head (as in extremely rich ECU mapping) then you will likely get more "gun shots" if not flames. ;)

Back