Pops and bangs?

mine used to backfire something fierce. I tried what I thought was everything. including swapping out of dual carbs back to a single. nada. still gun shots. my solution was to do the honda swap. so once I committed and spent money on parts already I pulled the engine. when I took the header off there it was, staring at me. the O2 sensor bung was wide open.

Odie

r
mine used to backfire something fierce. I tried what I thought was everything. including swapping out of dual carbs back to a single. nada. still gun shots. my solution was to do the honda swap. so once I committed and spent money on parts already I pulled the engine. when I took the header off there it was, staring at me. the O2 sensor bung was wide open.

Odie
Great, now you will be able to sell you O2 sensor bung to Nico (@Dine).

Excellent vid, here are my thoughts:
1) Nice example of why "pops and bangs" are cool.
2) Please remind us exactly what your setup is so we can appreciate what contributes to your sound.
3) At some points I hear a squeak. If that's your pedal box then clean and lube it before the bushing seizes and causes a lot of damage. But it might have only been the brakes, not sure.
4) I see you have COX cable there. I had decent (not great) service from them in SoCal. But here in Vegas they totally suck. Hope it's better in Canada.
5) Too bad the climate isn't like that year around there.
Thanks for posting.

My setup is as follows: car is a 79, carb is whatever came with that year (32DATRA I think...) that my father had rebuilt, and it's jetted rich apparently as it makes the typical black smoke cars running rich do. De-smogged, including the cat. Air filter is one of the oval mesh/foam ones (think it's from Vick's). Header, no idea what kind, but I've included pics.

The squeak is mainly the steering wheel rubbing on the column cover and some from the pedal box. I managed to temporarily stop the squeak from the pedal box by shooting some lube at the bushings. I also put some felt pads in between the wheel and the column cover as a temporary fix, but it looks like it fell out at some point.

IMG_20200813_170133.jpg
IMG_20200813_170227.jpg
IMG_20200813_170245.jpg

My setup is as follows: car is a 79, carb is whatever came with that year (32DATRA I think...) that my father had rebuilt, and it's jetted rich apparently as it makes the typical black smoke cars running rich do. De-smogged, including the cat. Air filter is one of the oval mesh/foam ones (think it's from Vick's). Header, no idea what kind, but I've included pics.
Thanks. Makes sense, with a tube type header/performance muffler, open type air cleaner, and rich mixture the over-run sounds will be enhanced. And glad you on top of the 'squeak'; I wasn't making fun of it, just didn't want to see something bad develop (depending on its source).

@Dine , When You will have done it, please share Your results.
Will do, just waiting on a new belt to arrive because freeing up my exhaust actually exposed a major belt squeak/chirp so I'm going to fix that and then I'll start this experiment.

The squeak is mainly the steering wheel rubbing on the column cover and some from the pedal box. I managed to temporarily stop the squeak from the pedal box by shooting some lube at the bushings. I also put some felt pads in between the wheel and the column cover as a temporary fix, but it looks like it fell out at some point.
The stock carb for a '79 a Weber 28/30 DHTA so if you've got a 32DATRA, that's an upgrade. You might want to try different jets to lean it out. The main jets, air corrector jets and emulsion tubes can be easily accessed by removing the air filter.

Back