Prototipo articles?

carl

True Classic
I was reading a book about the 131 Abarth and they mentioned how the X based car was supposed to be the replacement for the 124 Abarth. I have to admit, I don't really know that much about the prototipo and would like to know more about them.

Fun to fantasize what the Stradale version would have been like.

There is a fascinating interview with Gandini (in French w/Eng subtitles) where the topic of the Abarth Prototipo X being replaced by the suits at FIAT with the 131 as the corporate flagship rally car. Suffice it to say that Maestro Gandini was not impressed.

There are four parts to this interview, well worth the time if one is a fan of Gandini.

Hey Carl. Yes..the story of the Abarth X1/9 Prototipo is quite fascinating.

If you would like to know more about them, I would suggest to start here:

Grab a beverage and sit in front of the biggest computer screen you have. That way you should be able to read the screenshots of the many articles contained in it.

Basically...yes the Abarth X1/9 was intended to replace the 124 Abarth for rally. Abarth made 4 or 5 of them for testing purposes in various configurations. At the time they called them "prototipos" ( Italian for prototype ) And entered them in European events where homologation was not required.

Back in the day - 1975 or so - to enter in the big rallies ( like the European Championship and the World Rally Championship - the WRC events ) you could not just build and modify any car you chose ( or make one from scratch ). It had to be a "production" car from a real car company. with only certain limited modifications allowed. The big loophole back then was that for Group 4 ( the forerunner of Group B ) a run of 500 cars was considered a "production" car.

So.....Fiat...in collaboration with Abarth....planned to make a run of special X1/9 Abarths. Basically...an X1/9 shell with big flares, snorkel, and spoilers. And a twin cam 124 based engine of 1850cc with special Abarth heads and twin carbs. Special suspension and brakes, Modified Beta/Scorpion transmission with LSD. Etc, etc.

After testing, Abarth and Fiat finalized a specification for the official run of 500 cars. And made one only car to that spec. Known now as the "Stradale" ( Italian for street ) version. All 500 cars were to be made to that exact spec. And would be available for purchase as a high performance street car - but likely only in a couple of European countries who would allow such things.

Those wishing to convert them for rally use could then further modify them under the allowable "modifications from stock" allowed by the rally rules at the time. For example, fender flares could be only 2" wider than "stock". So the Stradale flairs were smaller than the rally spec flares. Stuff like that.

So the story goes.....Abarth completed all the tooling and plans for a run of 500 cars. The homologation papers were all prepared, using the one only "Stradale" version for specs.....

At this point.....the suits at Fiat HQ decided that Fiat should instead use the 131 ( a much more important car for Fiat sales ) as the basis for a new rally car instead. and thus the project was shelved at the last minute. Ah...what might have been.....

It is said the 4 or 5 "Prototipo" versions are still around. Abarth stripped them of their drivetrains ( there was a shortage of the Abarth engines at the time ) and sold them off. Legend has it that Al Cosentino managed to get 2 of them. It is said one is now in Italy and one in Japan or something.

And the one and only "Stradale" version ever made.....well apparently Al also managed to get that too. It is on the cover is his "Faza Bible". It ended up in Australia with a guy who bought his Faza empire. It sat there for many years and was finally restored back to its original spec last year ( Al had messed with it quite a bit ). And it even appeared at a car show in Australia not long ago. There are videos of it at the show. I'll try to find them.

Last edited:
From what I read in the 131 Abarth book, the suits at Fiat wanted the car more relevant to it's main products, in that case the 131 sedan. Also, all their competitors were doing the same thing, such as Ford. For awhile the 131 Abarth and the Stratos were competing at the same time.

Apparently the first prototype of the 131 was with huge flares and the V6 out of the 130 but was not all that fast and very nose heavy.

Made me wonder what the make up of the Prototipo was.

Fun read wasn't that ?

Okay...here are a couple of videos of the restored Abarth X1/9 Stradale:

Lots more on YouTube. Just search Abarth X1/9 Stradale

Enjoy.....

The X1/9 Stradale was to be produced as a collaboration between Abarth & Bertone. Based on conversations from a friend who visited both Abarth & Bertone and got to know them well, well enough that he got a ride with 'Miki' Biasion in one of the Abarth rally cars after dinner (he said never again. Literally scared the !_!_!_! out of him being in the Intergrale rally car with Miki). Production already began on x1/9 Stradale body parts. Once the program was canceled, the parts were destroyed... except some escaped destruction.

This is the sad and sorry history with the X1/9, all involved with it's design knew well the performance potential it had and was designed into the X1/9 body-chassis-suspension from day one. It was indeed the Suits at Fiat that would never allow any performance development of the x1/9 as they did NOT want a small mid-engine two seater, they wanted a FWD two seater in common with the rest of the 128 series of the time. Years and decades later some car folks have discovered just how GOOD the X1/9 chassis-body-suspension really is.. and power train alternatives began to happen allowing the initially designed in performance potential to be realized.

Consider where the X1/9 would be today if those 500 or more X1/9 Stradale were produced with the race version winning WRC more than once.. IMO, the x1/9 would have been quite capable with world class drivers and support folks like the crew at Abarth from that time.

MotorSports is much about creating brand image and perception of desirability. More often than not, the image created and branding created is much more significant than actual content and design excellence.

Bernice

Last edited:
The other variant of X1/9 from that era was the Dallara body.. which was done at Bertone with no limits on usage and reproduction of that body kit. IMO, Bertone wanted folks to do this to an x1/9.

Bernice

A lets not forget the history behind the Filipinetti X1/9...one if not the first ever racing X......😊

Not sure this belongs here but…
The X1/9 Stradale was to be produced as a collaboration between Abarth & Bertone. Based on conversations from a friend who visited both Abarth & Bertone and got to know them well, well enough that he got a ride with 'Miki' Biasion in one of the Abarth rally cars after dinner (he said never again. Literally scared the !_!_!_! out of him being in the Intergrale rally car with Miki). Production already began on x1/9

Last edited:
Despite being an X owner and fanboy.... I think the 131 was a better path. The longer rougher rallies meant more stuff to carry and the basic body shape meant much easier to get long wheel travel. And it was no ordinary 131 either. I also don't like the twin cam installation in the X. Too bum heavy.

Fun to fantasize what the Stradale version would have been like.
Agreed. I've always liked it and considered building a replica. But pretty much everything unique to it would have to be hand made from scratch. Someone in Australia was building one...can't recall who and not sure how far it got, but he was doing an amazing job making all of the specific parts.

The stradale Faza replica with K20 has been finished for a while now. It's active in Melbourne Australia. Scroll to #160, I haven't seen updates on xweb though.

The stradale Faza replica with K20 has been finished for a while now. It's active in Melbourne Australia. Scroll to #160, I haven't seen updates on xweb though.
YES, that is the one I was remembering!

Back