quarter light/vent glass replacement

jvandyke

True Classic
Anyone have experience replacing the vent glass? (since it doesn't vent, I'm calling it a quarterlight) I'm working towards doing the passenger mirror through the glass like the driver's side and I have the holed glass in frame but it's black and my '81 is still all chrome so I was wondering about swapping the glass, if it's not too troublesome.

piece of cake...

In the old archives I have a pictorial post on how to do this. But, the easiest way is to ship it to me, I'll do it and then ship back. If you wanna tackle it yourself, shoot me a message. No charge other than shipping costs.

T

Thanks guys, wonder what I'm doing wrong with my searches that I miss these posts, sorry. Sounds like it's doable then, that's good.

Were you searching the Xweb 1.0 archive?

I always start with the old Xweb 1.0 archives unless I am positive there was a recent post on the topic in Xweb 2.0. In this case I entered "vent glass" and clicked the "Sort by Match" option. That was all it took. Both threads I linked were in the first page of results.

I picked the term "glass" rather than "window" on a gut feeling. I knew Tommy had a post out there for sure, hopefully he can find the pics.

I think they got purged...

I can do it again though. I have the stuff. AAMOF I am getting ready to sell both frame/glass assemblies with or without the mirrors. I'll try to get something posted in the next few days.

Peas
T

Refitting (learning from my recent mistake)

When you put it back in make sure you fit the rubber corner first before tightening all three bolts, like this:

a277c1f7.jpg

Not like this ;-)

e4515b88.jpg

Here's my ones before refitting

I replated the frames, fitted new felt channels, repainted the black covers and re-riveted the whole thing back together:

DSC_0595.jpg

Perfect. All my glass rattles when windows are not cranked up tight. I should redo it all. I'd also someday love to convert to power windows....someday.
So, am I right that you need to de-rivet the black plastic corner piece, then "push" the glass out of it's home?
I would just use the whole quarterlight/frame assembly I have (right side with hole version of course) if it were not black instead of chrome. It might not be too noticeable and yet, I'd notice.

Not sure if you can get the glass out without taking off the triangle piece, I had to do it for replating. Tim would probably know better. It takes some wiggling, I used a screwdriver to spread the metal away at the bottom of the window a bit and then put my finger in the hole and tugged (that really sounds odd now that i read it...)

Wow. This is all great stuff! When the weather gets warmer, I was going to swap my 1/4 window uprights from black to chrome set I have standing-by and wasn't sure how tough it was going to be. Sounds like this is a less-than-one-day sort of job if everything goes right.

John O.

It looks like the black sail panel is riveted to the frame and encloses the glass, no? So to get glass off, that has to come off first. It "looks" anyway.
Are you moving the glass from one set of frames to the other? If not, no big deal to swap the frames with glass in them I don't think.
Did they make quarterlights with through-the-glass mirrors (passenger side) in chrome or were they all black trim by then?
Not that I'm too interested in seeking out another right side quarter glass assembly with mirror hole in chrome!

Instructions I got from Matt

I bought a set of thru-the-glass vent windows and mirrors from Matt years ago. I held on to the instructions he sent me for installation of the entire frame. Here they are:

Hi Jim,

The trick, to getting the wing-vent assemblies in and out is to take out the other window guide first, near the latch-end of the door. You should follow the procedure below: (roughly)

1. Roll window down
2. Remove outer window weatherstripping by prying the end nearest the door handle upwards and gently pull the piece up, detaching it from the door.
3. Find and remove a tiny phillips screw buried into the fuzzy piece of the inner window weatherstripping. It is near the door lock pull end of the piece and it secures the trim strip to the door. It can only be accessed with the window all the way down. When the screw is removed, pull up on the weatherstripping piece to remove.
4. Remove the inner door panel, roll window back up.
5. Remove 10mm bolt near bottom of door that secures the door-latch-end window track.
6. The window track will slip out of position by pulling/wiggling it downward. You may have to move the upper rubber piece attached to the window track out of the way of the top of the door, or detach it's two nipples from the door.
7. Carefully roll the window down, it should only be fitting into the front window track at this point (the wing-vent assembly).
8. Remove three 10mm bolts front the inner panel of the door that secures the wing-vent window.
9. Slide the window out the window track toward the door latch end of the door. It should be hanging from the cables.
10. Wiggle the wing-vent assembly up and out of the door.

Good luck,

-Matt

Got the glass with hole out of the old frame, little teasing with rubber mallet, little prying. Wondering what to use to replace the rubber lining that goes between the upright of the frame and glass. That tutorial linked above seems to suggest using tape?
This One

call an auto body supply shop and tell them

what you are wanting to do and they will have it...It's called "setting tape" but it's not actually not tape per se; rather it's a heavy rubberized strip of felt.

To confirm the correct width, best to bring the parts and a piece of the old "tape" with you.

Take a look in CR Lawrence's catalog for a better idea...
http://www.crlaurence.com/apps/sitesearch/search.aspx?searchSource=search-input&query=setting tape

I know I have some around here somewhere, I'll take a peek tomorrow after work.

T

Thanks, I'll look for that. I'm planning on ordering the felt strips from Bayless as well. Any tricks to that? I think there is one screw hidden in the rear track I read. I hope to redo all of that on both front and rear tracks. I'm also hoping I can adjust the whole assembly as the current one is cocked slightly and doesn't meet the windshield frame very evenly (this whole door is FUBAR'd though, fits poorly, has been heavily messed with in the past).
I got the mirror from Wil (Abec) and am in the process of refurbing it. It had some very strange surface issues, almost like webbing/vein texture, like an old paint job gone bad but I don't think it was as the maker imprint was still clear in the corner. I just sanded the heck out of it to smooth it off and am trying to track down some Dupli-color trim paint to hit it with. There was something rattling inside it so I loosened the glass enough to reveal some sort of rubber gunk that seems to have once been globbed onto the adjustment cables. I just took it all off.
It should be all worth the effort someday as I really miss that mirror, every day I look for it for every lane change.

Got some setting tape at an auto trim/glass/upholstery place, they sold me a hunk of 18" for $1.50. (1/16" thick or pretty close) It's too wide but I can trim it back. Running out of excuses to tear into it now.

Back