Question about key blanks

Eastep

True Classic
Does anyone know what the OEM key blank number is for a '79 X1/9? I'm finding alot of Curtis and ilco FT43 & FT36, but don't know what the SIPEA number is. SIP11 sound correct?
My current keys are Lock Corp X12, and I did like the size/style

Attachments

• 15170617513171338186027010182342.jpg
    15170617513171338186027010182342.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 15170618752501349425760280361705.jpg
    15170618752501349425760280361705.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
There were at least two different blanks used depending on the year, and there are two different ones for the ignition and doors for all years (i.e. 4 different blanks in all). Look at the site referenced above, it is clearly spelled out there with photos and data to help identify yours. I bought "code cut" keys from them (there were no keys for the car when I bought it) and they are excellent. See this thread for the details:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/keys.32812/

If the history of the car is unknown, there is always the possibility that the ignition has been replaced. I had to,replace mine last year and the new ignition from Midwest is a different blank.

Thanks for the link. I wasnt sure if it was the correct (for my car) blank, but I ordered the #1 key option. As a strange and random turd of events, would have it; While looking through some spares and odds & ends at my storage unit, I remembered I still had a key from one of my previous '79 X1/9's, which was the same style as the blank I ordered Since I wasn't too confident, that I ordered the correct blank; I wanted to test fit the key. I was very happy when the key did in fact fit my ignition. I'm not sure about you, but any time I find a key that physically fits into a keyway of any sort; my compulsion is to twist the key. The key fit, so I did, just that. Don't you know; the damn thing actually turned in the ignition! No effing way, I think, to myself. Wouldn't it be some *#@t if this key actually got the car to turn over!? .... I twist to ignition contact..turn just a touch more! It turns over! After a couple stabs of the throttle and turns of the key, and the car fired up!!!!! I just discovered an X1/9 skeleton key!! This is very exciting and very troubling at the same time, for obvious reasons. I've had that key for at least 15 years! Check your keys, folks!

Last edited:
Key "cut" variations are not infinite, so they can be repeated at some point in a vehicle's history. Old Honda motorcycles are notorious for this; they recycled the key codes constantly over the millions of bikes made, so it is fairly easy to find a used replacement from a box of old keys. What's amazing is the old spare you had actually matches your current ignition lock. And actually the key might not necessarily be an exact match. As the key and the lock cylinder wears, the profiles of either/both become less defined. This makes them less "unique", which is the principle of a car thief's "bump key". But I would not worry about it being more of a theft risk, if a thief wants to steal you car he will regardless of the condition of the lock. I see no reason not to just use that key "as is".

Oddly I had a similar experience. I have a motor-home that I use to haul race vehicles to tracks for weekend events (and motor-homes have lots of locks on them). On one such trip I drove for about 4 or 5 hours, getting roughly half way there, when I stopped for a gas break. I was checking everything over when I discovered I had left one of the needed keys (to gas up) at home. I was too low on gas to get far so needed to find a way to open the lock. About to call a lock-smith when a guy parked next to me started a conversation about the race car. I mentioned my predicament and he said "will it help to try some of my keys?", as he pulled out a key ring with about a dozen various keys on it. Although my instinct said don't waste my time, I went ahead and started trying his keys. And yes, one of them worked. Same reaction you had.

Talk about a blessing! Man, I know I would have been loosing my mind if I were in a similar situation. My plan is to use the skeleton key as my primary key and the "original" key as my spare. I may or may not have the new blank, cut. Probably will hang onto it for 15 years and have to as a backup, lol.

If you have the new blank cut, it would be best to have it "code cut" rather than copy any existing keys...especially not the old used key you had that happened to work. The reason is related to what I mentioned earlier about keys wearing down with use, and the fact that old key may not be the "correct" one, just close enough to work. So by having the new blank code-cut, its profile will be exactly what the original new key was back on day one and not a copy of a worn one.

Back