Radiator installation question

RussMcB

SCCA Club Racer
I’ve been bothering Matt so much lately, I thought I’d give him a break and ask here instead.

I bought the Midwest aluminum radiator. It is a nice piece and identical to the stock X1/9 radiator.

I am installing it into a very bare chassis I bought recently, and I’m not clear how to bolt in the radiator.

I did purchase the “Radiator Stud Hardware” kit from Matt.

I’m wondering if I’m missing chassis brackets or something. I don’t see exactly where in the chassis this gets bolted in.

It’s been 30 years since I’ve worked on an X1/9. :)

Attachments

• IMG_7571.jpeg
    IMG_7571.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7573.jpeg
    IMG_7573.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7574.jpeg
    IMG_7574.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7575.jpeg
    IMG_7575.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7572.jpeg
    IMG_7572.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 44
Do you have the lower mount? It looks like this.
Screenshot_20240407-101237_Chrome.jpg

The radiator has two studs that mount to this bracket with the hardware kit you have, and the bracket mounts to the body on two studs at each end. On the center top of the rad there is a boss that fits into a hole in the body. There is a rubber grommet for that boss as well. On my car it was tricky to get the fans on with the radiator installed, so I put the fans on first and then lifted it all in.

Excellent. Thank you. No, I don’t have that lower mount.

Got an extra one you want to sell? :)

Thank you. More great info.

I *think* my car is a later model (1500cc, after 1979), but don’t know for sure. It was made into a race car a few years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_7548.jpeg
    IMG_7548.jpeg
    411.4 KB · Views: 25
Thank you. More great info.

I *think* my car is a later model (1500cc, after 1979), but don’t know for sure. It was made into a race car a few years ago.
Is this the raceX that was listed on MWB? Also, are you the Russ McBride who used to own a twin cam X?

Is this the raceX that was listed on MWB? Also, are you the Russ McBride who used to own a twin cam X?
Yessir!

Here’s what it looked like in the for sale ad.

Attachments

• IMG_7124.jpeg
    IMG_7124.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 23
I did purchase the “Radiator Stud Hardware” kit from Matt.
Pretty sure you need two of those kits, one for each lower fixing - could be the source of some confusion otherwise :) The idea is the radiator is isolated from any direct fixed chassis contact.

This is the top mount as mentioned:

Hi Russ,

Last time we met, it was at Scott Phelp's house for a solo "rematch". 24 years ago. It seems we are loyal to our cars!

I would say the best way to determine which model year range is your car maybe with the struts top mounts... unless they were modified to fit camber plates...

On the 1500 cc there was a bump surrounding the top of the struts, like this:
1712517378652.png

1300cc models were flat with just a lip around the hole.
1712517288567.png

FFO Rematch!

Yes, that was fun.

My car has camber plates. What’s the second best way? :)

Attachments

• IMG_7580.jpeg
    IMG_7580.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7581.jpeg
    IMG_7581.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 23
I was surprised and happy to see this race car still available when I looked again earlier this year.

I can’t provide any new info about my old twin cam car. A buyer drove it out of my driveway years ago and I lost track of it. I miss it. It was special. The car (chassis) probably had less than a few thousand miles on it (long story including less than legal paperwork).

Hi Russ,

Last time we met, it was at Scott Phelp's house for a solo "rematch". 24 years ago. It seems we are loyal to our cars!

I would say the best way to determine which model year range is your car maybe with the struts top mounts... unless they were modified to fit camber plates...

On the 1500 cc there was a bump surrounding the top of the struts, like this:
View attachment 83377

1300cc models were flat with just a lip around the hole.
View attachment 83376
except... In Australia, we have what is called a series 1.5. These are 1979/80 and are mixed s1 and s2 parts. They are 1300/4 spd but have the strut top sheet metal from the later cars but the dash bulkhead from the early cars [does not suit the ginormous washer reservoir]. Many other details make these cars neither s1 nor s2 - hence s1.5 :)

I've contacted the seller (Larry Svaton - great guy) and he may have the mount that was in this car. If he doesn't, I expect Midwest-Bayless can help me out.

Your replies have been very helpful. Thank you.

This excerpt from the '79+ parts manual might help.

The bottom mounting studs are set up like a sway bar link:

Big cupped washer
Rubber donut
Mount crossmember
Rubber donut
Big cupped washer
lockwasher
nut

radiator.JPG

B

Last edited:

Not that it really matters I suppose...but since you seem curious as to what year your X is....

If this pic you posted is of your X:

green x.jpeg

then look carefully at the ends of the bumper tubes. That tells me your X is a '75-'78 chassis !! note the shape of the ends of the tubes. That looks stock and un-modified, and a '75-'78 style. I believe - could be wrong - that from '79 on fiat changed the ends of the tubes to incorporate a towing eye. Look at the pic below of my '81:

20240407_170909.jpg

note the totally different shape....with rolled edges on mine.

Here is a pic of a '75. Crummy pic but note the same end shapes as yours:

neil bumper.jpeg

Also note...on the pic of your X.....those upper mounting tabs for the grill...they look original....are the '75-'78 type. The tabs on a '79 and up are totally different.

This all tells me your chassis is a '75-'78. There are other ways to tell - or narrow down the year...if you want....

Back