Radiator installation question

Not that it really matters I suppose...but since you seem curious as to what year your X is....

If this pic you posted is of your X:

View attachment 83397

then look carefully at the ends of the bumper tubes. That tells me your X is a '75-'78 chassis !! note the shape of the ends of the tubes. That looks stock and un-modified, and a '75-'78 style. I believe - could be wrong - that from '79 on fiat changed the ends of the tubes to incorporate a towing eye. Look at the pic below of my '81:

View attachment 83399

note the totally different shape....with rolled edges on mine.

Here is a pic of a '75. Crummy pic but note the same end shapes as yours:

View attachment 83400

Also note...on the pic of your X.....those upper mounting tabs for the grill...they look original....are the '75-'78 type. The tabs on a '79 and up are totally different.

This all tells me your chassis is a '75-'78. There are other ways to tell - or narrow down the year...if you want....
IIRC the cooling compartment divider was used up thru '76 ???

Although many things on your X will have been changed for stock in it's transition to a race car....some more clues likely exist..

Yes...that radiator divider looks stock....and only found on early cars....

Is there a distributor access panel ? I think that started in '77 or so. Yeah...someone could have added one...but I think if from the factory the hole for it would have had rolled edges ? nobody would have bothered to do that.

Same goes for the access panel into the rear trunk. I think that started in '79 ? If there is one there...does it look factory ?

Last edited:
I shouldn’t be surprised with the knowledge in this group :)

Here’s a pic of the back compartments. I think the hole between the engine bay and rear trunk is roughly cut out, not a nice removable panel like my later X1/9’s.

Attachments

• IMG_7582.jpeg
    IMG_7582.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 29
Back