Rebuilt Bosch Ignition Control Modules - $75

Jeff N

Your Mileage May Vary
Re-post

I am now rebuilding Bosch Ignition Control Modules. I use the original Bosch aluminum box, remove the old printed circuit board and replaced it with a new solid state GM HEI ICM. This will fix ICM's that have burned out or ones that experience thermal failure and won't start when the engine is hot. The rebuilt units use half the amperage and produce a stronger spark than the original. Just ship me your failed unit that has an intact box and electrical connector. I'll usually have a couple units already built, so turnaround time should be fairly quick.

The $75 price includes the rebuilt unit, the box cleaned and painted with silver epoxy paint, seams silicone sealed against moisture, and return shipping. Let me know if you want the option of my returning your original box, instead of a core. If you want a specific name brand HEI module, let me know and the price can be adjusted.

Message me or send me an email with orders or questions, jnolta*integrity.com.

Hi Jeff,

Assuming that the one for $75 could be referred to as your "base model, " could you provide a couple of examples of what different "name brand" modules would cost?

Not knowing much about the reputation for quality in the HEI niche, I have no idea what brands would be considered Good-Better-Best.

Some of the name brands would be MSD, ACCEL or Pertronix. Depending on what you might want, prices could vary from $30 to $70 more. Reason's for wanting a specific module is to match it to a specific coil or just being more comfortable with a particular brand. The differences between various modules appears to be in the amperage they provide. I am far from an expert on HEI modules and would defer to the guru, Bob Brown. I mainly wanted to provide an option, should anyone want something specific.

I did a quick study on these

Specifically with MSD because MSD is known for multi-spark discharge units.
Finding a real specification sheet on the MSD unit seems impossible to find. (so far in my search)
I see no difference with the MSD 5596 module offering as with the Accel 35361 offering other than the MSD sticker on the unit.
It's important to note that the MSD unit does not produce multi-spark output as with most of their other "boxed" units.
The one thing they have in common is the high performance factor, meaning they draw a little more current and deliver a hotter spark from the coil.
Picking a high performance module from whomever you choose will likely yield the same result.

Hmmm.... tempting. Let me see what my financial situation looks like after this month's bills (we just financed 2 cars and going to rent a storage unit) Those things are going to make disposal income tough for me for a while :\

Rebuilt Bosch ICM

Hello I was referred to you by MikeMo. I am new to xweb and have a recently purchased 1981 X. Just wont start after running fine for a few days after purchase. I have a spare ICM from a '79 parts car and the one in the '81. I don't know if either are functional. I'm interested in one of your rebuilt units but could you tell me how to test mine to see if its the issue with no spark? Thanks for your help.
Kevin

Kevin

I replied on your other thread. I'm hoping among all of us we can help get it worked out for you.

Rebuilt Bosch ICM

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. Still getting used to the way replying to posts works. Thanks for the assistance. Ill read the other post.

Kevin

"Wur'ster Mass", huh... I can hear your accent as you type!

HA!

Hey... I don't know where your other thread is but the best way to "test" an ICM is to PLUG it in on a working engine.

Leave it exposed and with your lady's 1200 watt hairdryer... heat it up for a few minutes. If its still running you have a good ICM.

Jeff N here has provided us with a quick and easy exchange plus a few bucks to have a reliable ICM. I still have my original still working since 1979 and also carry a SPARE just in case.

(Murphy was an Optimist...)

HTH...

rebuilt icm

in my humble opinion, the GM upgrade is more than enough. actually bulletproof. the only reason they failed was the heat transfer from the engine to the distributer. since it is in a box away from heat, should last forever (don't quote me) and Jeff does a stellar job on the install.
I am not sure if I need one when I reinstall my plex 201, but if I do I definably will install one of Jeff's for peace of mind.
mikemo

Bought one

Got mine from Jeff and I am more than thrilled. Great job, great work and great deal. Looking at it you could never tell it's been modified and improved. Thanks for offering this buddy!!

Still Available

It seems like every few weeks someone posts about having ignition problems involving their ignition control module. I still have rebuilt units for sale, including one currently available for immediate shipping. Buy them still for $75.

Shameless plug -

Keep in mind that these rebuilt units take less than half the current (amps) than
the original Bosch unit while delivering a cleaner spark from the coil.

The original Bosch unit takes up to 8 amps, (key on but not running) while the GM
rebuilt Bosch box that Jeff supplies takes a little over 3 amps under the same condition.
Coil stays significantly cooler too. :)

I have one unit available for immediate shipping if anyone is in the market for a rebuilt ICM upgrade.

Jeff N,
$75.00 plus shipping??? I will take it!!! If it is still available. Let me know and I will PayPal ya.
Mike

Back