Rebuilt engine, problems....

Thanks for the continuing input....

Ran the car tonight 1 1/2 hours. The temp stayed true center 190 all the time driving at speeds of 40-50 mph. The road had only a few lights so I drove at a good pace. When I got back into town it was a little stop and go. Here is where it started climbing up. BUT once I drove fast enough the temp stayed at 190.

Overall it still got to 225 after about an hour and 15 minutes.

At the end of the drive I pulled into the garage and the front fan is cranking away. Shut off the car and the rear fan comes on.

I changed the expansion cap with a locking 13 lb cap from Strauss Auto Parts. Chris Obert , you say the original caps are different.

I have pressure release when I unlock the cap. I have no leaks dripping anywhere.

Now, last year I had 2 small drips coming from the left and right ends of the radiator. Tightened everything , even put double clamps on the hoses. Still dripped a tiny bit.

There have been NO drips anywhere now. Has gook stopped the leak, and also is screwing up the flow after riding for some time?

So bottom line is...

... it maintains 190 when driving at a good pace; but goes to 225 in stop and go even with the front fan running?
... And the system is holding pressure without big leaks?

Do I have it right? Speak up now if I don't because if the problem statement is wrong, the diagnosis is likely to be too.

The obvious diagnosis is that the radiator cools adequately when there is enough airflow through it, but the front fan isn't providing enough airflow to get the job done without help from the cars motion.

Easy test to check this: Start the car cold in your driveway, and just let it idle happily away as the engine warms up. If everything is working properly, eventually the front fan should come on, run for a while lowering the temperature, shut off, and the cycle will repeat.

If the fan comes on as the temp moves north of 190, but stays on while the temp continues to climb more slowly, then the fan isn't getting it done. Look for: blockage in the airflow through the fan; fan wires installed backwards so it's blowing the wrong way. If neither of these apply, it is time to pull the radiator to properly flush it outside the car (at this point it's worth the few hours this will take, just to eliminate that variable).

YES you have it correct...

I did the paper test with the fan, so the fan is not wired backwards. the paper got sucked against the radiator.

Before I changed the rad cap to a definate 13 lbs, the temp styaed around 225 the whole time after about 30 minutes, even going at a good pace. The cap made a difference.

Drove to work 20 minutres this morning with all the Time Car apparatus mounted over the engine cover. Ran 190 all the way. Let it idle at work and it passed the paper test.

I will run the car an hour this afternoon with the TimeX props and see what happens.

Attempting 2 car shows locally Saturday and Sunday.

Don't those TimeX props...

....block your engine cover vents? Or maybe you stated you had the Back to the Future items off when you were having the issues, as well. Have fun at your shows this weekend!

Car was "normal"..

Car was "normal"..with the issues I had. And the props never affected the temp before with the engine.

Nonetheless,

... you want to all the debugging/diagnosis with them off. One fewer variable to worry about.

Dan...

I did not do anything as scientific as that, just flushed out a bunch of crud.

The water did flow clear afterwards and all ran cooler. This was many years ago also. I basically do as Greg suggests now, and change the coolant every two years. Almost hate to, as its always GREEN and clear! HA!

TimeX in action SUNDAY July 11 at Giant Stadium Fairgrounds

Drove to the show early Sunday, highway all the way. Ran at 190 degrees all the way. Waiting in line to enetr I turned the engine on/off, etc. Got in no trouble.

Ride was about 30-40 minutes.

Have a new radiator cooling switch, Temperature Sending Unit, and Brake Reservoir coming.

Here is some video of transformed TimeX...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJfy021B5J0&feature=channel"]YouTube - Backa To The Future 003 Interior Exterior[/ame]

Wow!

I didn't know it had a Bob Brown dash!!!!

Quite a bit of equipment going there Vinnie. I thought it was just an exterior show going on.

what's a Bob Brown dash?

My dash had a Light up Time Circuit machine I fabricated out of aluminum and rivets, LEDS, and a sound acitivated equalizer board that wasn't really moving because of the music din all around.

Dash board is a clock I got on eBay.

Some more video to follow with footage shot after dark.

I don't seem to have a pic ....

....of one of Bob Browns creations. Maybe Bob or Jim Decker can post. They are amazing.

Picture of Bob Brown Dash

Here is a picture of My Bob Brown dash.

DSCN1037.jpg

The picture does not do the dash justice. Its much better in person.:sun:

Back