RED X19

Some more things has happened
Looking good Janis.
Nice heavy battery cables. And I really like Varta batteries - OEM on BMW and last forever.
What is this item?
E269D063-B00F-43DD-AAD5-9AA8CF11A18E.jpg

Looking good Janis.
Nice heavy battery cables. And I really like Varta batteries - OEM on BMW and last forever.
What is this item?
View attachment 37966

'Dat looks like some kinda coil with 4 outputs... probably using a crank trigger of sorts. I'm wondering too and also these items as well.

Is the top pair of 90 degree bends simply fittings versus running the hose directly or something else for temp sensor or ???

The lower one appears to have a sending unit I would assume to be for oil pressure. Is the covered fitting used for a pressure gauge?

B7B593EE-5D5C-4062-A5F8-EE7802A094B7.jpeg

Jeff that is ignition coilnfrom punto.
Tony, theybare just 90 degree fittings.
Covered fitting is for oil feed for turbo I guess :D 🤷‍♂️

Jeff that is ignition coilnfrom punto.
Tony, theybare just 90 degree fittings.
Covered fitting is for oil feed for turbo I guess :D 🤷‍♂️

Thanks Janis for clarifying...

I would think you might want to consider running the hoses directly onto the "nubs" as that eliminates 4 additional areas where there could be a leak and... plastic fittings are known to break easily as compared to the hose.

Just a suggestion, it doesn't appear to be too "tight" of a bend.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on the progress.

I originally mounted my ECU in the space where the spare wheel went, but it kept tripping out due to overheating. The airflow around the engine means that any holes in the firewall (for cables, wires, pipes, etc) will allow hot air to be drawn into the spare wheel space, and likely fumes into the passenger compartment as well 🤢. You need to seal these up tight to prevent this
The spare tire well as shipped from the factory in 1974 was very heavily insulated. I mounted a CD ignition in there once but it overheated. I ended up putting it where the carb fan once was. It has the air hole used by the fan next to it for air flow as a bonus. If I was going to put much power dissipating electronics in the spare tire well, I'd remove the insulation and/or vent it. However, the insulation makes it a great place to put take out food as it will stay warm quite a while

If I was going to put much power dissipating electronics in the spare tire well, I'd remove the insulation and/or vent it.
Thanks Don. My car doesn't seem to have any insulation in the spare tire well. The cardboard 'cover' has some thin stuff on the back, but really nothing around the space itself. However ventilation should be important regardless. I plan to add insulation on the rear wall, between the engine bay and the spare well.

Another option for me to vent the spare well is to open a pair of holes on the two sides of it. The outboard one would connect to the right outside 'scoop' (heavily modified in my case) to act as the cool air inlet, and the inboard one would connect to the fuel tank well to act as the exit. That way there are no openings directly into the engine bay or the cockpit. The right side scoop opening looks like this, with the spare tire well's side panel (newly formed) shown by the red arrow:
41063 - Copy.JPG

The other side that connects to the fuel tank is still stock. It's a single panel between the two compartments. So cutting a hole through both of these panels (either side of the spare tire well) should allow air to flow across the area. Especially if a small fan is added, as described earlier. This option might still allow hot air to interact with either if the two holes indirectly, but it may be better than the first idea I discussed (going from the cabin to the engine bay).

Janis, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Coming along! I'm with Tony on the elbows - would be better to either get formed hose & use a straight spice, or just put the hoses straight onto the bulkhead fittings, one less source of potential failure.

I see from your pics the shop also works on "old" Volvos....

index.php

Coming along! I'm with Tony on the elbows - would be better to either get formed hose & use a straight spice, or just put the hoses straight onto the bulkhead fittings, one less source of potential failure.

I see from your pics the shop also works on "old" Volvos....

index.php
They are called “Nissan’s workshop”, but mainly works on drift cars not only Nissans.
And that is IIRC electricians 740 some kind of Limited Edition 740 with turbo, one of his daily cars.

I trust them, what they are doing, not the first car they are working on, but if or when something will fail, then will do that You are suggesting.

Don’t feel a necessity to interrupt what he is doing, I have waited a lot to this happen at all :D

The spare tire well as shipped from the factory in 1974 was very heavily insulated. I mounted a CD ignition in there once but it overheated. I ended up putting it where the carb fan once was. It has the air hole used by the fan next to it for air flow as a bonus. If I was going to put much power dissipating electronics in the spare tire well, I'd remove the insulation and/or vent it. However, the insulation makes it a great place to put take out food as it will stay warm quite a while
I have remade the spare wheel well cover, still as a removable panel, with a hole in it for the wiring (with grommet) to allow the ecu to be mounted just behind the seat. Keeps it out of the stresses of the engine bay and allows easy access for mapping. The spare wheel space is occupied by the extra wiring, CDI unit, fuses, etc associated with the turbo installation

I have remade the spare wheel well cover, still as a removable panel, with a hole in it for the wiring (with grommet) to allow the ecu to be mounted just behind the seat. Keeps it out of the stresses of the engine bay and allows easy access for mapping. The spare wheel space is occupied by the extra wiring, CDI unit, fuses, etc associated with the turbo installation

Soooo... I can only assume you carry your spare on your lap? HA!

Maybe in the frunk... or passenger seat, or maybe just a can of "FIX-A-FLAT"?

Just kidding... but I truly believe "Murphy" was an optimist! I've carried my (mostly flat) spare around for close to 35 years and have never needed it or used it! I know for certain if I take it out or forget it that will be the day I have no cell service and be 100 miles on a never used old dirt road.

Thank God the tire chains don't take up too much room... Ya never can trust the weather in Southern California!

There still wil be place for spare tire. And I have a thin spare tire from Punto like in the picture.

I had flat tire at 19:30 on 31st of december last year without spare, and had to get to another city back home 😂 luckily a member from bmw comunity was still sober and saved me.

E4A13A29-87C3-4CB2-B9C5-01B72BD6641C.jpeg

I thinks he is making rainbow on purpose 😂 🦄

Attachments

• ED179522-4AB9-4DD8-9922-FC3359F625D1.jpeg
    ED179522-4AB9-4DD8-9922-FC3359F625D1.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 66
My Good Lord!

I don't think the Space Shuttle had a harness that well constructed! You could probably wade through 4 feet of water with that wiring.

(Good to 600 feet?)

I don't think the Space Shuttle had a harness that well constructed!
Ha-ha, it didn't. Before my medical career I spent time in the corporate world with my MBA degree. One of those companies was Rockwell during the Shuttle program when the aerospace industry was thriving in SoCal. My position managed over the engineering function and included monitoring the actual build process as each stage was completed. I recall vividly watching the women (one of the very few areas in the company that employed women; 10,000 men and maybe a couple hundred women - mostly clerical support) create the wire harnesses on sheets of plywood. There were nails on the board to indicate where the ends of various harness branches start and finish. They would grab the required color of wire and wind it around a nail, stretch it to the next nail, and so on. But the whole thing looked like a kindergarten art project, and was about the same level of quality. Frankly everything there was done in similar fashion; I'm shocked there weren't more catastrophic failures for such a large program.

Ha-ha, it didn't. Before my medical career I spent time in the corporate world with my MBA degree. One of those companies was Rockwell during the Shuttle program when the aerospace industry was thriving in SoCal. My position managed over the engineering function and included monitoring the actual build process as each stage was completed. I recall vividly watching the women (one of the very few areas in the company that employed women; 10,000 men and maybe a couple hundred women - mostly clerical support) create the wire harnesses on sheets of plywood. There were nails on the board to indicate where the ends of various harness branches start and finish. They would grab the required color of wire and wind it around a nail, stretch it to the next nail, and so on. But the whole thing looked like a kindergarten art project, and was about the same level of quality. Frankly everything there was done in similar fashion; I'm shocked there weren't more catastrophic failures for such a large program.

Well, I have very limited experience with planes and rockets and the like but I recall seeing wiring exposed in many WWII era aircraft that were bundled and loomed and expertly wrapped with waxed string. The Phone CO. use to do the same. Very labor intensive but usually was very reliable.

When it comes to today's space vehicles and the like, I am aghast at how terribly they appear to be cared for, seen only on TV documentary's on the MIR and ISS. Why would anyone run wiring and ductwork through hatchways making them impossible to close and secure in case of a fire or a breach in the hull?

Rockwell huh... was that possibly in the Northridge area or Newhall?

Locally, the NA Rockwell facility became Hydraulic Research and they built fuel system components for the shuttles three engines. I would see hundreds of these pumps (?) stored as well as their continuing to be manufactured. Let's see, we had what... 5 shuttles at 3 engines apiece... including a few spares...

Makes me wonder if 9 out of 10 were defective or something...

It was a huge industry back then. Lots of major contractors, minor contractors, subcontractors, vendors, suppliers, etc. And all of them made great money off those Gov funded programs. Being in management I was privileged to how Rockwell was organized and operated financially. It was structured such that the more we spent, the more we profited. So absolutely no incentive to save, but rather to spend excessively. We actually had meetings to see what we could do to increase the cost of things.

But it gets worse. My father spent most of his career working for the federal Gov in a management position and that's how they operated. Very inefficient and wasteful, but they don't care - it's not their money.

I was at the Downey facility. It had been a WW2 bomber manufacturing facility and airport. I'll never forget when the Whittier earthquake hit; our offices were part of a very old airplane hanger (a HUGE single room building covering several city blocks), where they had suspended "false" floors from the side walls to turn it into a multiple story structure inside. No supports in the middle because the ground floor was still a manufacturing and assembly operation (one giant open room). The quake pulled the fasteners for the floors from the walls on one side and our offices suddenly fell about 15 feet on that side (until it hit the floor below). Everything went black (no windows), silent, and things were sliding and falling everywhere. Complete chaos. The sad part is after the weekend we were sent back into the same building. They simply reattached the fasteners into the walls and acted like nothing had happened.

Once again, apologies to Janis for derailing the thread...again. 😞

It was a huge industry back then. Lots of major contractors, minor contractors, subcontractors, vendors, suppliers, etc. And all of them made great money off those Gov funded programs. Being in management I was privileged to how Rockwell was organized and operated financially. It was structured such that the more we spent, the more we profited. So absolutely no incentive to save, but rather to spend excessively. We actually had meetings to see what we could do to increase the cost of things.

But it gets worse. My father spent most of his career working for the federal Gov in a management position and that's how they operated. Very inefficient and wasteful, but they don't care - it's not their money.

I was at the Downey facility. It had been a WW2 bomber manufacturing facility and airport. I'll never forget when the Whittier earthquake hit; our offices were part of a very old airplane hanger (a HUGE single room building covering several city blocks), where they had suspended "false" floors from the side walls to turn it into a multiple story structure inside. No supports in the middle because the ground floor was still a manufacturing and assembly operation (one giant open room). The quake pulled the fasteners for the floors from the walls on one side and our offices suddenly fell about 15 feet on that side (until it hit the floor below). Everything went black (no windows), silent, and things were sliding and falling everywhere. Complete chaos. The sad part is after the weekend we were sent back into the same building. They simply reattached the fasteners into the walls and acted like nothing had happened.

Once again, apologies to Janis for derailing the thread...again. 😞

Dittos from me too Janis... But interesting stuff!

Back