REplacing the long speedo cable, two more questions.

toddr124

Hagerstown, MD
I have read the great write up with pictures on how to do this, but I still have one question.

I can not see under the dash where the cable comes into the passenger compartment. Do I need to remove the instrument panel to see this?

Where do I need to remove the carpet from to see the exit hole?

Thanks

I think they all enter through the rain tray, under the vent cover in front of the windshield, outside the cabin.

I am asking after they go down the hole with the hoses.

I think they all enter through the rain tray, under the vent cover in front of the windshield, outside the cabin.

I have removed the cover over the hoses and the cable. I also have removed the gasket under the car where the cable comes out of the car. I need to know how to get the cable out between the 2 points.

I am asking after they go down the hole with the hoses.

Hmmm... At least on the older cars... Starting from the rear, the cable runs along the underside of the car, "secured" with plastic clips along the driver's side of the box that surrounds the coolant tubes. It passes through a rubber grommet in the floor of the passenger compartment, right by the gas pedal. There's a fairly beefy clip on the inside. From there it goes up the inside of the front firewall, passes through the opening with the hydraulic hoses into the front raintray, then through the backside of the raintray to the instrument cluster.

To get it out, first you push the front end down into the hole with those hoses. Now you'll have the end flopping around loose in the driver's footwell, and you can trace it down to where it disappears under the carpet on its way to the clip and grommet there. You'll probably have to unscrew the gasket plate around the base of the steering column to get the carpet lose in that corner, but you don;t have to mess with the steering column itself.

Okay, I will look near the gas pedal

Kept looking nearer the clutch and could not find the cable. I hate missing with the carpet. Already replaced it on my other X1/9 twice.

This is good, Todd. Once you perform this operation, you'll be the local expert and can help me replace my cable!

John O.

I HATE FIAT X1/9s

I spent 2.5 hours on the car tonight trying to get the old cable out of the cabin of the car. I removed the seat and carpet eventually. Anyone who tries this needs to do this first next time.

The cable is pinched behind a hydraulic metal tube and held by a plastic holder that can not be removed or cut because more hoses are in the way. After breaking the gas pedal (is it suppose to move forward to remove the carpet?) and still not getting the old cable out, I decided to install the new cable so I could pretend to complete something. The new cable comes out in the brake pedal mechanism. I can not feed it back to solve this problem.

I now have 2 speedo cables not working in the cabin with half my interior out and a broken gas pedal. Not bad for 4 hours of work.

How much can I get a Mazda Miata for?

It is a Pain In The A**

I feel you. I have replaced 5 over three cars. After the last one, I sourced an electronic sender from a Fiat Coupe from New Zealand, and have that sitting on my shelf waiting for the current cable to fail. The first time it took me close to 2 days to finally get it to go through that firewall hole. I can do it in about 30minutes now, and yes, it is easier to do it with the drivers seat out, the carpet pulled back, and a lot of beer.

It helps to have a second person outside the car and you inside. I used a long flat head screwdriver and would gently push it through the firewall hole, while an assistant tries to help work it through as I push.

Now I'm a bit nervous..

I need to replace the speedo cable in my 87 Bert. I have looked at it and the biggest issue I see is getting the transmission connector through the firewall behind the pedal box. It almost looks like it will not fit.

Carl, I am very interested in the sender you obtained. Do you have any further info?

Yes..

I also found the tutoral that included photos along with a how to. The link you provided is also helpful.

But I am intrigued by the prospect of a digital speedo & tach.

I printed the directions and

they are very helpful in theory. Pushing the connector and nut through the firewall is easy.

Removing the old one from behind the metal hose is impossible. It is pinch and will not budge. I can not cut the old cable because the metal hoses are in the way. I may end up leave a couple of inches/feet of the old cable in the car if I ever figure out how to cut the the *%*%#$# cable.

Last edited:
I agree...

...its a PITA. You may want to consider replacing both master cylinders or maybe some wheel bearings as your next task :hammer:

It took me around 4 hours to replace mine, first time ever. Once I got mine to pass through the hole with the hoses it was pretty much smooth sailing. I found that it helps to remove the instrument panel, hook up the cable and then run it through to the transmission. Good luck.

I found it

Through the Fiat Forums, UK board. I thought the Uno had an electronic sender, so I posted in the Uno forums, a guy responded that it was the Fiat Coupe that would work, the 16v model, and gave me the email address for a Fiat parts guy in NZ. Basically, any electronic speedo should work. All I will have to do is run a keyed power line to it, ground it, and run one wire to the speedo, power to the speedo and ground for the speedo. When my Speedo cable gives way again, I will leave the housing for the cable and run one wire through it.

Drawback is, I will have to build my own instrument cluster. So, Looking for aftermarket gauges that will work with the Fiat senders will be fun, but any Electric Speedo will do AFAIK. Most have a calibration button, that once it is installed, you find a measured mile, press the button, start driving, hit the mile marker, press the button again. Great if you change tire size or wheel size.

But of course, after always having a problem with speedo cables, I get the sender, and my speedo cable is working fine with no signs it is about to go.....But I am ready if it does......

I have not had a working speedometer in my Fiat spider for over 4 years, but

the car has over 200,000 miles on it. I drive by tach for speed and gas gauge for mileage.

The 86 X1/9 I am replacing the cable in has 8,000 miles and the odometer is important. I feel bad about the 50 miles I have put on the car after the cable broke 50 miles from home.

Back in the hole again tonight. Maybe I will love the car again tomorrow.

they are very helpful in theory. Pushing the connector and nut through the firewall is easy.

Removing the old one from behind the metal hose is impossible. It is pinch and will not budge. I can not cut the old cable because the metal hoses are in the way. I may end up leave a couple of inches/feet of the old cable in the car if I ever figure out how to cut the the *%*%#$# cable.

Like anything that involves sticking your head into the driver's-side footwell, this job is no fun.

The metal hydraulic pipes are somewhat flexible (otherwise they couldn't have bent to get in there in the first place). So if your cable is trapped behind one of them, you can try gently bending the hydraulic line away to free the cable. While you're doing this, you can :censored:curse whichever previous owner :devil::dunce: trapped the speedo cable in there while working on the master cylinders, because that is NOT how it came from the factory.

Getting the new cable down through the maze of plumbing at the opening of the firewall is a nuisance. I've done it alone, pushing the cable up from below, and I've done it with a helper on top waiting to grab the end of the cable with a needle-nose pliers when it came close to the hole. Don't know if I could feed it through from above... never tried.

Back