REplacing the long speedo cable, two more questions.

Ran the new cable and removed the old cable. YEAH

Last night I finally finished removing the old cable in many pieces. The drummel cutting wheel goes through the cable very easily.:thumbsup:

I than ran the cable down from the top. I needed a little help at first to get it passed the pedal assembly, but the rest I did myself. Now I just need to reinstall the interior this weekend and see if it works.

Last night I finally finished removing the old cable in many pieces. The drummel cutting wheel goes through the cable very easily.:thumbsup:

I than ran the cable down from the top. I needed a little help at first to get it passed the pedal assembly, but the rest I did myself. Now I just need to reinstall the interior this weekend and see if it works.

Double :thumbsup: - that's a no-fun job.

Can't ever let Prez Todd get the last word, so thought I'd add my own experience this past weekend replacing the speedometer cables (the 2-part system) on my '87 Bertone. The old cables had mostly disintegrated at both ends of the long cable and the non-gauge end of the short cable, they went into the trash. I didn't have the troubles Todd had on extracting the old long cable. Mine (probably the original installation) was not stuck behind or between any of the brake or clutch pipes - where it was routed behind the accelerator pedal it was only held in by one plastic clip, easy to extract there. I didn't remove the seat and only peeled back a small bit of carpet and soundproofing material just behind the gas pedal and along the driver's side of the center tunnel. Yes, the various grommets along the way had to be popped out, but it really wasn't all that tough. There was a bit of iteration needed to get the long cable centered so that it would have just the right length poking through the cowl to mate up with the short cable coming out of the gauge cluster. The entire job took me a whole afternoon, but having done it once I could do it again in about an hour.

Gotta say that the tips/hints from this and a couple of other threads made a big difference - I would not have been able to figure out the routing of the cable behind the gas pedal otherwise.

I removed the cable with cutters on the rat and Fatrat, ran a wire from my cig. lighter/USB port to my phone which has a free speedo ap and I'm done. This is the only way I could possible play with Xs, by removing almost everything on them.

Carl, the problem I'd have with your "simplify and add lightness" approach here is that your phone doesn't have an odometer/trip odometer app (I assume?). I need to know miles more than miles-per-hour.

My phone app has a trip odometer setting. You will not get total miles, but you will know how far you have gone.

Why do you need a mileage count? As Todd says, there are speedo aps with odometers.

I have pictured the x1/9 assembly line, it started with jigs to hold the speedo cable in the first station then they built the car around it...

Odd, I thought the car was built around the front hood since that is a real pain to bolt on.

Obviously, all the parts were taken to the top of a tall structure (no longer existing, of course) and thrown off at once, and they naturally fell together on the way down- that's why doing any one part now is such a pain, the manufacturing method can't be replicated.o_O

I replaced my speedometer cable today. Not an easy job. The problem I have now is that my speedometer is still making noise.
Could it be the instrument itself or is it the new cable that needs to be moved/stretched a bit.

IMG_2864.jpeg

Is it possible there isn't enough lubricant on the new cable? It needs to be well greased when installing it.

I replaced my speedometer cable today. Not an easy job. The problem I have now is that my speedometer is still making noise.
Could it be the instrument itself or is it the new cable that needs to be moved/stretched a bit.
I just replaced mine yesterday, wasn't too difficult but I realized I need the short cable too. And my car isn't running yet so don't know if it makes noise. Sorry, that's not really any help!

Back