Restoration of a 1987 Bertone

Huey

True Classic
Hello,

As many of you know, I picked up an '87 a couple months ago on eBay. The car hadn't run in 15 years and supposedly sat in a garage untouched during that time (although I now see evidence that this car spent considerable time outdoors either during or before that time.)

The car was complete but was in desperate need of restoration.

Day 1 -- the journey home to PA from Maryland
20170304_181206_zps21gelrks.jpg

As you can see, the car is in remarkable shape for its age. No signs of rust anywhere and mostly unmolested (with the exception of redone interior, which actually looks better than the original in my opinion.)

After I got the car home, I immediately began tearing into it. My hopes of doing a mere cosmetic restoration were smashed when the car showed undeniable signs of deterioration. The clutch was frozen, the brakes were rusted to the rotors, the throttle cable was stuck, the fuel lines were cracked and leaky, the list goes on. So I put a new battery in it just to make sure the engine turned over and then began tearing into it.

20170306_184550_zpsibxetj0p.jpg

Crusty engine stuffs under the hood.
20170306_184604_zpstnhvogrk.jpg

A little before-and-after on the seats. The interior was covered in a layer of crusty grime that will take lots of scrubbing. But underneath that fossilized filth is a very nice interior that needs very little restoration. That stupid shifter has to go!!
20170306_201030_zpswhfzpcwm.jpg

Engine out -- at least I think there is an engine underneath the grime, leaves, pine needles, mice feces, and mysterious organic substances.
20170318_160350_zpsqwosf9hs.jpg

Commence disassembly...

20170319_215836_zpsoppcrzeb.jpg

20170323_183703_zpsfc64zj7h.jpg

20170319_215845_zpskigpccfj.jpg

20170323_183709_zpszchf3rxd.jpg

20170318_160410_zpsnxjczeeg.jpg

20170319_215956_zpsww4qjnbw.jpg

I left the A/C compressor in place because I don't know if it has any valuable freon in it. I don't have the tools to reclaim it so I will leave it alone for now.
20170318_160402_zpsps2thjkg.jpg
20170323_183726_zpsrq7c4tsp.jpg

Now onto more disassembly, cleaning, scrubbing, degreasing, wire brushing, cleaning, cleaning, etc....

Once the engine was on the stand, I could tear into it more to see what all it needs. The car only has 52,000 miles on it so it has obviously spent most of its life sitting. Naturally, all the seals (camshaft, crankshaft, aux shaft, etc) need replacing. I also removed the head so I could inspect the cylinders. All looks good so I will focus on replacing seals and gaskets and then cleaning and painting.

Here is yesterday after reassembly. So far the list includes:
  • All new gaskets and seals
  • New timing belt and tensioner
  • New alternator
  • New water pump & thermostat
  • Restored FI system
  • New head bolts & gasket
  • Degreased, cleaned, and painted block with POR-15 engine paint (aluminum color)
Here it is today

20170409_222106_zpsmo4hwapq.jpg

I know, I know, the valve cover isn't supposed to be painted. But I like the look of the black with the gold treatments -- gives it sort of a racy look.

20170409_222056_zps2oxwjzxx.jpg

20170409_222048_zpsvlnmnwov.jpg

My little fancy treatment on the timing belt cover didn't turn out to well so I will need to redo it. But other than that, the engine is almost ready to put back in. But, before I do that, I have some other items on my to-do list:

• Clean up and paint engine compartment (detail everything)
  • Rebuild the transmission once I find it under all of the crud caked on top of it. I don't know if it needs rebuilt per se but it definitely needs some new seals so I will tear into it.
  • Rebuild axle shafts
  • Replace fuel tank and fuel lines
  • Then the engine will be ready to drop back in place
  • Start it up ... and pray
More to come, don't touch that dial

Nice work, someone's been getting into the can of elbow grease! Hope you don't encounter any major impediments in your progress but it looks as if you can handle them regardless.

Nice work! Keep it going and keep us posted on your progress! Another X1/9 back on the road soon.
Ed

Looks good! I am confused though... I keep going back to the photo with the "stupid shifter" comment... For the life of me I don't see a stupid shifter! :)... Somebody went through the trouble of finding and installing that Tap! I think those went away in 1984. My son keeps saying "you can use my Momo shifter..." HA! The shifter stays! I remember how it felt just like 1981 all over again when I drove my 1979 with the tap shifter last year... There seem to be two camps when it comes to that shift knob... Those who hate it and those who say nothing about it. Would not trade mine for love or money!
Making great progress! Hope reassembly and shakedown drives go well!
Regards

shifter: it's gitchy cool but not very comfortable, I like my shortened stick and ball but I understand those who like the beer tap, somewhat iconic to my mind, I kept mine with a plan on installing it on a kegerator, great addition to the shop, no?
41qDqL0xI3L.jpg

There seem to be two camps when it comes to that shift knob... Those who hate it and those who say nothing about it.
Regards
those that don't say nothing about it probably don't know they even existed because previous owners long since removed them!
Just playin...I like them too but not for the love of money.:p

WHOA! You are doing a great job with that car! Congratulations, that is going to be one awesome X1/9!

You need to finish before May 7th. This way you can drive on DCFiats Catoctin Run and Pig Roast www.dcfiats.org This will start in Thurmont, MD and the pig roast is in Hagerstown, MD. As close to PA as we get.:cool:

You are welcome even without the X1/9. Just dress for working on a car. My 1987 X1/9 needs a lot of help.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
20170412_073513.jpg

20170412_073506.jpg

Cleaned up the engine compartment. Degreaser, scrub brushes, and Dawn. A surprising amount of grime and mysterious foreign matter caked on everywhere. I can at least tell what color the wires are now, which will come in quite handy when I'm figuring out where they all go.

I'm going to try this method for restoring the yellowed coolant reservoir. I tried soaking it in bleach, which helped but it still looks old and weathered. This guy's method might just work.

They mount through the glass. They are very worn and I would like to replace them.
passenger side too? i've never seen through the glass mirrors like those, they look to sit forward of the actual hole which would seem to put the quarter light frame right in the line of sight, especially the passenger side which is obscured a bit even with the OEM through the glass style. Many (myself included) refurbed the mirrors without too much trouble

Hey @Huey if you are not successful in cleaning your jug or if you are not sure it is going to be reliable, I have one that is in excellent condition that you are welcome to...

Back