Restoration of a 1987 Bertone

Hooweee now that looks good. The seats look great. Very clean and tidy. That’s some shiny paint you got there.

Coming down the last of the home stretch, congrats!

Still planning on coming to this? Love to see it & meet you in person :)

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....-american-festival-italian-car-display.34784/

I hope to but I still have a lot of work to do but there is a 3 day weekend coming up so maybe I can get everything done. Still need to get it to the shop for alignment and inspection. If I do go, I'll drive the X but won't enter it for show. The photos do it justice -- there are far too many flaws in the paint and I would be embarrassed entering it in a specialty show. But it will be fun to drive it out there.

Last edited:
I hope to but I still have a lot of work to do but there is a 3 day weekend coming up so maybe I can get everything done. Still need to get it to the shop for alignment and inspection. If I do go, I'll drive the X but won't enter it for show. The photos do it justice -- there are far too many flaws in the paint and I would be embarrassed entering it in a specialty show. But it will be fun to drive it out there.

Our display is very informal, and open to all Italian cars, antique, classic and modern, in all sorts of stages of progress. Be there or be square :)

Got the front bumper and indicator lights installed today. No turn signals and no hazard lights. I'm hoping it is a bad flasher unit and not the hazard switch. Will do more testing later.

I hope to but I still have a lot of work to do but there is a 3 day weekend coming up so maybe I can get everything done. ....there are far too many flaws in the paint and I would be embarrassed entering it in a specialty show. But it will be fun to drive it out there.

Don't worry about that. I took mine last year in the flat black. It's not a concours type event :)

Made some progress on the paint today. Lots of wet sanding and buffing but still have a long way to go. Got the turn signals working for now but I need a new flasher switch because mine is very flaky and temperamental. Ordered new mirrors from Henk. Rear bumper painted but not yet installed. Almost done.

20180901_182450.jpg
20180901_182534.jpg
20180901_182555.jpg
20180901_182614.jpg
20180901_182633.jpg
20180901_182645.jpg
20180901_182733.jpg

Your car looks great. I'm not that far behind you in my '81 resto. Can you tell me where you picked up your steering wheel and adapter? What the model and part numbers for both? I've been looking for a new wheel and adapter and don't want to buy the wrong one. Thanks!

Made some progress on the paint today. Lots of wet sanding and buffing but still have a long way to go. Got the turn signals working for now but I need a new flasher switch because mine is very flaky and temperamental. Ordered new mirrors from Henk. Rear bumper painted but not yet installed. Almost done.

Jiminy another freaking amazing example about to hit the street.

Labor Day weekend takes on new meaning this year.

Your car looks great. I'm not that far behind you in my '81 resto. Can you tell me where you picked up your steering wheel and adapter? What the model and part numbers for both? I've been looking for a new wheel and adapter and don't want to buy the wrong one. Thanks!

It was an eBay impulse buy but it came with the hub. According to the ad, the hub was the same for Fiat 500s and 124s.

Just read the whole thread, lot's of good stuff. Hats off to you! I haven't picked mine up yet (still at Pete's place) but it is black, also. It's an old race car so I doubt I'll go as crazy with the paint as you did but this thread is a great educator!
X 1-9, Pete's.jpg

Last edited:
@Huey awesome job!! As I said before, a couple of us saw that car before you bought it so we know what you started with... Congrats!

Just read the whole thread, lot's of good stuff. Hats off to you! I haven't picked mine up yet (still at Pete's place) but it is black, also. It's an old race car so I doubt I'll go as crazy with the paint as you did but this thread is a great educator!
View attachment 14988

I think I see a Scirocco radiator there on the frunk, there are some guides for how to install it. Look forward to seeing how you go forward.

Indeed a wonderful build Huey.

What wheel is that? Brand, diameter?

I have two of the late Bertone wheels, one is very nice the other is just good (which goes with the rest of the car as it sits today.) I am interested in getting a new wheel for my 850 and my 124 and I do like that style. Thanks

Indeed a wonderful build Huey.

What wheel is that? Brand, diameter?

I have two of the late Bertone wheels, one is very nice the other is just good (which goes with the rest of the car as it sits today.) I am interested in getting a new wheel for my 850 and my 124 and I do like that style. Thanks

They are the original Speedline "phone dial" wheels. I had them restored.

Whoops, I meant your steering wheel sorry.

Your restored alloy wheels look great.

Whoops, I meant your steering wheel sorry.

Your restored alloy wheels look great.

Sorry, my fault, I didn't read carefully enough. The steering wheel is a Volante Luisi "racing" series, 13.8" (350 mm) diameter. The size matches the original almost exactly. I found it on eBay one day and ordered it because I liked the red stitching to match the red inserts on the seats. You can find it at luisiwheels.com under the "leather" menu. It's sort of pricey but it was an impulse thing at the time.

Thank you. It’s ‘the’ touch point of the car so I think it is worth spending on if its right.

When I changed my old X to the late Bertone wheel it really transformed how I liked driving the car, an unexpected but appreciated change.

Ran out of time on this 3-day weekend. Sadly, the car will likely not be ready for the gathering in New Jersey on Saturday :(
I spent all weekend working on the paint and getting the bumpers reassembled. I still want to replace the tie rods before taking it to a shop for an alignment. If I can find the time in the evenings this week and can get it into a shop during the week, I can be ready. It's a race against the clock now.

Back