Rust bucket or not

I hate rust to, and acknowledge that the cowl and lower fender can be major problems.... not mention what happened in the trunk.

I bought my '87 as a "barn find" (so to speak) with low miles. I was told the only rust on it was surface rust on the lower rear grille. I have now done welding and patch work on:
1. Rear frame cross member
2. Rear trunk corner floor and wheel well
3. Front lower spoiler area
4. Front lower driver's door
5. Front floor pans around the drain holes

I still have to fix rust in the front trunk. So if my car could appear and be represented as "rust free" and have that much hidden rust, a car like the yellow one with as much visible rust is probably beyond hope -- especially for someone who doesn't want to get involved in major body work.

The car is a repaint. It looks like there may be some previous bondo work in a few areas, hard to tell.

Issues:

• Back of door openings on both sides rusted through at the panel joint in the door opening. The left is worse
  • Right rear trunk opening rusty, may not be rust through
  • Something doesn’t look right about the left rear corner next to the taillight, hard to say
  • Right rear pinch weld rolled over or missing forward of the rear wheel well
  • Left rear pinch weld damaged and rust above that area leading to the rear wheel opening
  • Some visible rust in the left rear corner trunk area
  • Some emerging rust in the right door near the leading edge
  • The large amount of rust in the right fender
  • Large amount of rust in the right front rocker
  • Engine cover rusted
  • Hood rusted and needs to be replaced
  • The center section top of the nose is rusted and has likely let stuff sit in the frunk so the floor is likely suspect. The lip the seal attaches to looks to be missing
  • The front of the car gives the impression of the right side being lower than the left, it may be a trick of the camera lens.

That is all I can see. To me this car is likely a donor, it has a bunch of harvestable parts and would have value from the perspective.

This is a project I wouldn’t consider.

The current owner seems to have gotten it for little to nothing. I feel like this thing was on C list a few years back, and I passed on it then. I'll keep looking!

Looks like a coastal car, with insidious rust in unusual places; I bought a 4 year old Chevy Vega GT in Myrtle Beach in the late 70's, and it was already rusting thru the top of the front fenders from the underside.

Back