Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Discussion in 'Rear-Engine Fiats' started by Daniel Gibson, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Daniel Gibson

Daniel Gibson True Classic

Running without external help (besides starting that is).

Jefco, motoTrooper, khnitz and 2 others like this.
  2. khnitz

khnitz Daily Driver

That's fantastic - and it has to be so satisfying to get to that point!

Daniel Gibson likes this.
  3. Daniel Gibson

Yes it is. I find it amazing. And thank you!

khnitz likes this.
  4. JimD

JimD Waiting for Godot... Moderator

I am just waiting till you get tired of driving it, you know... way back about 10 replies into this massive thread you said:
    :D:p

Wonderful work Daniel. You are an inspiration. Not for me of course, but for someone that isn't as lazy as me. I am in year 8 or 9 of my 78X rebuild. :(

Daniel Gibson and quattrorules like this.
  5. Daniel Gibson

Ha! I still mean it. The first drive should be exciting...especially the first pothole!

Yeah, my constant blah blah blah about this car has kinda become a mega-thread. I appreciate y'all who have followed this whole thing so far.

JimD, NM850 and khnitz like this.
  6. Jefco

Jefco Daily Driver

Daniel, you're letting us enjoy the process without doing it ourselves; thank you for being so diligent, both in the job and the posting!
    It's always nice to see a cast off or set aside car come back to life!

motoTrooper, JimD and Daniel Gibson like this.
  7. Daniel Gibson

Fuel gauge working! Low fuel light working! Temp gauge working! I am now fighting with the trim that goes on the top cover.

These are broken and look terrible. I think I have a plan...
    IMG_2051.JPG

motoTrooper likes this.
  8. JimD

Well, you have to have a plan.

9. Daniel Gibson

Lol! I played that, and my wife overheard it and said "Is that from Hunt for Red October?". I was impressed!

Also got this vinyl trim and piece installed. This was one of the trickiest things I have had to do so far! Let it sit overnight and see what I think tomorrow.
    IMG_2053.JPG

motoTrooper, khnitz and JimD like this.
  10. Daniel Gibson

I had to get the car out of the way to get Christmas stuff down from the attic. So, it moved under its own power for the first time since at least 1986!

IMG_2056.JPG

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  11. JimD

I like your attention to detail Daniel, you even found a "period correct" old dude to do the driving for this "first drive" video. Well done!! :p:cool:

bpimm, khnitz and Daniel Gibson like this.
  12. Daniel Gibson

Lol! Old dude sounds too nice. "Old and in the way" is how my family describes me!

bpimm, khnitz and JimD like this.
  13. Jefco

Jefco Daily Driver

Good music from Jerry & friends!

dllubin and Daniel Gibson like this.
  14. Daniel Gibson

I am going to have to deal with this console sooner or later. Yuck.
    IMG_2018.JPG

Re-dyed one of the seats today. Left the other "as-is" for the before and after wow factor.
    IMG_2061.JPG

Grill-thing on hood installed - CHECK! Decklid latch installed - CHECK!
    IMG_2062.JPG

Going to go look at floor coverings now.

khnitz likes this.
  15. Daniel Gibson

Ok, I could not resist one more post tonight. First piece of floor covering cut! I bought a large floor mat at Lowes, made a template out of cardboard, and cut away! 30 bucks for the mat, and there should be enough to do what I need.
    IMG_2064.JPG

motoTrooper and khnitz like this.
  16. Daniel Gibson

Here are some pics showing the flooring done on the passenger side. I used headliner material on the fender well. If it fails, easily replaced. I am liking how this mat is looking. I tossed the seat in there just to show how it will all look. Oh, and the mat is cut on the driver side. Time to finish it off! And the piece that goes on the back of the tunnel.
    IMG_2069.JPG IMG_2070.JPG IMG_2071.JPG IMG_2072.JPG IMG_2073.JPG

So nice not looking at the floor anymore. Getting closer!

motoTrooper and khnitz like this.
  17. Daniel Gibson

Someone posted a million posts ago that they liked before and after pics. Me too!

IMG_2075.JPG

18. Daniel Gibson

Ok...wheel well cover put on, and drivers side floor mat in! Almost like instant gratification! Next steps..redo the console!

IMG_2081.JPG

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  19. Daniel Gibson

Time to tackle the console! And now a step-by-step in how to take a completely roached out console, and make it presentable.

So here it is...ain't she sweet?
    IMG_2094.JPG

Let us flip it over. First time I have really looked it closely. Most of the time I have just been moving it from spot to spot. Rotted cardboard and vinyl that has turned to brittle plastic.
    IMG_2095.JPG

Three of the nuts and bolts are all that is still holding on the side pieces. They are all rusted and will have to be cut off. I will have to be careful not to melt the plastic.
    IMG_2097.JPG

All apart! My dad used to manufacture this type of plastic. Think it is ABS. It is so dirty.
    IMG_2098.JPG

Ok, the console is cleaned up, but it still looks puny. I still have some tan paint left over from redoing my daughter's Pacer, so off to paint for it. This slightly less rotted piece of cardboard will be my template for new pieces.
    IMG_2099.JPG

Some left-over luan board, my jigsaw and 5 minutes, and we have side panels!
    IMG_2100.JPG

Needs one more coat of paint, and it is looking good! Got the foam down on the side panels, and that is it for the night!
    IMG_2101.JPG

khnitz, JimD and NM850 like this.
  20. Daniel Gibson

Ok, not too much time to work on it tonight, but here is part 2 of the console repair. Holes have been drilled, and vinyl cut. The Italians were pretty clever on these...the top part has to be be glued down first, and then these bolsters are attached to the plastic console. Then you have to attach the rest of the vinyl.

IMG_2115.JPG

Here is the top part of the bolster gluing down. This will be the visible part on the console.
    IMG_2116.JPG

And here is the repaired plastic piece. The nearest piece of the console had fallen off. I found it in the car. I had no idea what it did.
    IMG_2117.JPG

I will try to wrap up the console tomorrow!

NM850 and khnitz like this.