Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Ok, with some help from the folks here, a blurry 1971 schematic, a fiat 124 schematic which was a lot clearer, and my own pics, I got it all installed, and it works fine. Some of my connections were corroded, and that relay was just falling apart. It passed the two main tests...it stays running with the battery disconnected, and the wipers speed up when I rev it. Solid-state, baby!

Attachments

• F85F19E0-130F-4243-8C34-D6D0F1BDDAD4.jpeg
    F85F19E0-130F-4243-8C34-D6D0F1BDDAD4.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 99
Woah! Spending some serious dollars now!

I have one myself. Install is much easier with the radiator out of the car.
I know! Almost cost as much as the car did! Had it all installed, tightening up the left top bolt, and sure enough...the stud stripped in the bell housing. CRAP! Called it a night after that.

Ugh...I lost all of my old car pics, and I have confused myself. On top of the alternator, when you are standing at the back of the car, does the gray wire go into the left or right plug? Anyone able to take a good clear pic of the top of theirs for me? Many thanks!

Ok, here is the scoop on my starter and alternator. As to may recall where we left off on the starter, one of the studs had pulled out. Fortunately, Fiat, even with the puny stud, drilled and tapped the hole long enough for me to put in a fresh M8 bolt with loads of thread to spare. Starter secured!
Now, I had also confused myself on the alternator. I felt a little better after I started tracing back wires to discover that someone in the past had cut off the end of the gray wire that runs to the voltage regulator and spliced on red, and had cut off the end of the yellow wire and spliced on gray. Huh. Got that all sorted out and now I am alternating again!
If you wonder what a gear reduction starter sounds like on these, here you go. Note that I updated this to point to rumble instead of you tube. They were putting a minute ad on my 7 second video and not cutting me in on it. Phooey on them!

Cranks pretty quick!
Now I have to figure out what to do about this.
2129DEB6-F497-4429-81E0-86BAA3B72506.jpeg

Last edited:
Y’know, it has been too long since I regaled you all with tales of “restoration” glory. After I got the car running, a small section of the door sill popped loose. My fault (who else’s?)... I ground off too much of the weld, which wasn’t too good in the first place. Every time I got in the car, I would catch it on my shoe or pants leg or leg leg. Ow!
16F274CC-A7FF-45E8-B07E-F73083DB1305.jpeg

Rather than weld it again, let us braze! It is kinda fun. Cleaning up enough, and tap in the raised part.

2FA1188B-C641-4EAF-9B7A-E61F7BD56ABA.jpeg

Then we braise away, and only catch the car a little on fire.
1676CCE1-1293-473B-B42F-A4421C317506.jpeg

Grind it down, slap some fiberglass on it, and paint away!
C5D367C5-A6C7-4000-851D-01DC72866A63.jpeg

711B53CD-ECDC-4D83-B350-2A05222C65CB.jpeg

Now that is more like it! Next project...the rear engine mount! Join us next time for the latest installment of “What the Hell is He Doing?”.

Last edited:
I've done brazing, years ago with oxy/acetylene gas. Tried to do some brazing recently with a small mapp gas cyclinder (hardware store) and couldn't get the rod to melt. Suggestions?

I've done brazing, years ago with oxy/acetylene gas. Tried to do some brazing recently with a small mapp gas cyclinder (hardware store) and couldn't get the rod to melt. Suggestions?
We brazed some tabs on an exhaust system with Mapp Gas, we had to get the surrounding metal hot before trying to braze it but it finally worked after we did that.

I am using this. Like Gene said, the metal has to be super hot. I have this thing cranked up to get the rod to melt.
C53BFB56-1023-40B2-8CFE-95B9F739A8A8.jpeg

Back