Sad story - with pics

htfx19

Herzel Frenkel
I know you guys love pictures - so here are some. Credit due to BBrown (for the posting instuction, not the event)

accident2011001.jpg

accident2011002.jpg

accident2011004.jpg

And now, if you want the story (not that it matters any):
A guy in a Citroen van stopped for a pedestrian, which is good.
The guy's brake lights didn't work, which is bad.
By the time I realized it, it was too late and with screeching (new) tires I rammed him, under the bumper.
I am OK, no one was hurt, thanks for asking.

What now? I don't know. At the end of this month I am due for an operation on my lower back - spinal vertebrae.
After I get fixed I'll do about my X.
At any rate I will not stay X-less.
So now you've heard my story,

Enjoy -

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you're okay. Sorry about the X.

The main thing is no one was injured.

That car has had it share of mishaps. It's especially sad since it was looking great after all the work you've done to it.

Look at from a positive perspective. It gives you a reason to come back to the US and buy another car.

No way Herzel!

I can't believe it! Geez Man! You've had some hard luck with that white X.

Unfortunately, I haven't got a noze cone for you. That you'll have to get from Henk Martijns or Matt Brannon. :sigh:

Being how you were the one to hit him, does this mean you have to carry the responsibility of the accident?
Or does the fact of his brake lights being out make him at fault?
How does Israel law read on that?

Anyway, glad you're OK. If you have more photos, post them.

My guilt

Our law says that if I rear ended him, it is my fault, unless if he was backing up.
My (mandatory) third party liability insurance will cover his damage. I'll cover mine... HaHa

Since it will be a good couple of months before I get running again, here is an early warning - go get a nose cone Ha..Ha.. :)

Thanks Bob

Wow Herzel...

That is some shunt! Something similar to me a while back but the car went up onto the hood. My X at the time had slight lower springs. Long before digital cameras so I need to try and track down some pics but Pat Olsen and Gary Luke saw the car (and got the car) after.

To echo others; the good thing is you walked away in good shape right?

I hope you find another X or try and save this one.

BTW - not the kind of pics I like to see posted :(

That's bad!

But you are Ok! that's the important part!

I know your body shop will rescue your X, they are really good to fix this little hits.
Here is one picture just to remind to all how beauty is your X1/9 (still)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sorry to hear about that Herzel

but happy to hear you are OK. Hopefully the car can be fixed.

Ouch Herzel ....

That looks like a big hit. Glad to see that you were probably wearing your seatbelt (no damage to the windscreen). Good boy.
Parts can repair her but there will be damage to the frame rails nevertheless. I guess when you take off the folded metal you'll be able to tell better what needs to be done. Can both doors be opened and closed easily?

Hi Dave

The front frame has some damage which can be fixed.
Sheet metal is a mass, as you can see.
The doors open as usual. Front fenders are damaged only partly up front but the front lights supports are gone.
I've sent pics to Matt Brannon and asked for his assessment of the damage. I shall weigh all alternatives. At present it looks like time for another X.
I'll be talking to you guys a lot.
Enjoy -

Ouch...

Sorry to see the damage but glad you're ok.

Here in the sue-happy USA you could probably sue for damages from the other driver, if the brake lights were not working.

Oh noooooooo, Herzel..............!!

.....Hey mate, and I thought, after all the pain and agony of you and me learning from ol' mate Bob Brown how to post pics (his special instructions for "old farts"), I thought you were going to post some HAPPY pics of your X!! :excited:

What a tragedy - yep, here in NZ if you can prove that the brake lights on the vehicle ahead were NOT functioning at the time of the accident, the driver of the offending vehicle will be fined by the Traffic Police, AND his/her vehicle insurance will cover the total repair cost to YOUR vehicle (that's if they are covered by vehicle insurance, of course. Unfortunately many car owners don't insure their vehicles these days, and sueing them for your damage is hopeless as they often don't have any $$$ :mad2:).

I hope your beautiful X is repairable, Herzel! It would break your heart if the damage is too major to repair.

cheers, Ian - NZ

DANGITT.....

Herzel.......WOW......hope you are gonna be ok.
Followed all the re-construction of this car with fond satisfaction, and this brings a tear to my eye.
Wish I had another X for you....HA
Be well my friend.

Yikes!

Sorry for the bad news Hertzel...

Hope you and the car are back up and running soon! And to think, I just GAVE away a nose cone not to long ago. Hey, if you need a hood...

:cry:

After that other time when it got crunched...!

Can it be fixed? Will it be difficult to find another X in Israel?
Could you keep this one for parts if you get another X?

Bernice

The front frame has some damage which can be fixed.
Sheet metal is a mass, as you can see.
The doors open as usual. Front fenders are damaged only partly up front but the front lights supports are gone.
I've sent pics to Matt Brannon and asked for his assessment of the damage. I shall weigh all alternatives. At present it looks like time for another X.
I'll be talking to you guys a lot.
Enjoy -

:(

Herzel , here is the same , no matter what is your fault couse you was too close from the vehicle in front of you ....kind of stupid if you think , but it seems we have the same law in this.

It makes me feel so sad , when I saw your post, specially i know how much effort you have made to buy that X in usa , then the door problem , i have seen all your post and it was like myself was in israel working on that car ....after so much work , this to happen ..........i'll go crazy .... Just be happy no person was hurt , good luck and keep updating !

Thanks Bernice

Not a dull moment Ha?
As I stated, I'll probably get another one from the US and bring it home.
It will be in a few months.
I am not likely to fine another one available in Israel, there are about 15 of them in the country and people are not selling.
Maybe I'll make Momi an offer for his 600+ hp HaHaHa...
BTW, what are the differences of '87 and '81 models. It importance for me.
Thanks Bernice
Enjoy -

Back