Sale on hold-1986 Bertone X1/9 For Sale $6000.00

Tavalin

Florida Mike (again)
Sale on hold until a decision is made on whether to sell as is or fix the issues then sell.

1986 Bertone X1/9 for sale... $6000.00.
Ii pains me to list this 1986 Bertone X1/9 but I am unable physically or financially able to keep up with its issues. Gary is extremely disappointed in me but I see no other way for this X1/9 to get repaired the correct way and driven the way it was meant to be.
Everyone here know was this car from the many times I have posted needing help. Everyone also knows that I have many extra parts that will accompany the sale.
The water pump, brake calipers and brake lines are new from 2015. I have radiator hoses and was saving for a new radiator but other issues always took priority.
At the moment; it starts and idles but has half power.
I have purchased original Cromodora wheels that came from Italy for over $1500.00. They have Federal tires with less than 200 total miles on them. Changed the front struts with struts from MWB and refurbished the towers and new tops. Just purchased and installed a new battery. I purchased two sets of the custom made spark plug wire (one blue and one red) from an Xwebber. The ignition module is the GM modified system, also from an Xwebber. The brake and clutch master cylinders where replaced in 2015 as well as all the hoses. The brake and clutch fluid have all been flushed and replaced the reservoirs have been replaced. I installed new fuel injectors recently and changed the transaxle fluid with Red Line MTL last month. All the exterior plastic parts are unbroken and are in good in good shape. The interior, the AC doesn’t work but the fan and heater work great. The AC holds pressure and I just haven’t gotten around to flushing and seeing if it would charge. The seats are needing new covers and the dash is cracked in two places. I have the original build papers and owners manual.

It is by no means a perfect X1/9 with rust coming through both doors and the engine hood is rusted in the sides. I will be as transparent as possible with everything.
I am posting a lot of pics and if I miss anything just let me know and I will go out and take those as well.
I have tried to keep everything original as possible. I have only used Mobile 1 oil.

All lights work and I even installed a third brake light to keep it original (also purchased from an Xwebber).

Many extra parts to boot.

This is not an “or best offer” or a “first come first served” type of sale. We are pretty much set on the figure above and trust me, I have spent way more than the listed price in this X1/9.

Whomever is interested, please PM me and I will work down the line that way. I want this to be a fair as possible for everyone.
I have the title in my hand. Pick up at my home in Florida only.

A85316FD-010B-4568-BA75-2BAD1DBDCBEA.jpeg 1800DE6E-65B3-468B-AFA5-CC11FEF593DB.jpeg 52A70A26-51AC-4DA3-B848-597F3B0494A2.jpeg 5C5C9BDD-D6BD-4A07-8471-AC8699203C01.jpeg 3DAF3C3F-5F33-475E-979B-ACECE07DA1FC.jpeg A4A18018-0860-44F8-82A5-92B7BA8E3E18.jpeg 9E0B63D5-1007-4738-BB15-87A7C7C2E689.jpeg 4C8DF20A-4F83-44E6-86F9-D94338F2B07B.jpeg FD477EC8-FD08-47A1-B2B4-A8F97C8590A5.jpeg 6D87F869-AB75-4B15-8239-DCB023BA8863.jpeg 6CB0FBF3-424C-4E90-A784-00193ECEC6A5.jpeg 39223858-5B88-4200-BABC-ED2079F78C9A.jpeg 3F1EBE3C-B6B4-4021-8349-ED8E2E18389A.jpeg C4C5004B-4018-45E8-9710-5A71A8436195.jpeg 39E1C9E8-F242-4A0C-8144-189AB5BF1B66.jpeg BE0CBDCB-9BA0-4088-9C4C-B99D6B06C839.jpeg 5D2697F2-3AEB-4D70-84EB-6C2CA0D42C14.jpeg

Attachments

• 7304AEFD-2F5E-4EE3-B763-39FEFF0318A9.jpeg
    7304AEFD-2F5E-4EE3-B763-39FEFF0318A9.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
beautiful condition? the obvious question is "why is it running at half power"?
Turkanaman,
From what my posts from the Workshop forum say it is a coil/ignition module issue. It worked prior to changing out the distributor for an aftermarket system that forced me to change some of the wiring. Then after I changed back to original I can’t seem to get the system back.
Check out my post for more answers to your question: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/no-power.37742/

mike

More that I remembered: the fuel tank, fuel pump and hoses were replaced in 2016. I recently repaired the door cards.
Mike

No takers??? This is a project that has been meticulously kept original as possible. Many original parts were reinstalled to bring back up to original specs. The timing belt and tensioner and tensioner pulley were all just replaced. I am going to find an ignition module and install it soon and reset the timing completely by pulling off the timing belt and setting the flywheel to the cam. Something could be a little off there too. This X1/9 will get its power back very easily.
Mike

I would be a taker, as it is the right year, right accessories, and etc. But I can't take on another X until I get mine done. I hope it goes to a good home!

If you can get the car running well, I'd bet it'll do better than $6k on Bring a Trailer.

If you can get the car running well, I'd bet it'll do better than $6k on Bring a Trailer.
RJ80,
Yes it would. However, everyone helped me get this running and I know most of you. I know this would not be a parts car. I know that it would be driven. That is why I am going to give everyone here the chance first. Sometimes, it is not all about the money. I have a lot of blood, sweat and tears in this car. I want to give you guys the same opportunity.
I hope that makes sense...
Mike

No takers??? This is a project that has been meticulously kept original as possible. Many original parts were reinstalled to bring back up to original specs. The timing belt and tensioner and tensioner pulley were all just replaced. I am going to find an ignition module and install it soon and reset the timing completely by pulling off the timing belt and setting the flywheel to the cam. Something could be a little off there too. This X1/9 will get its power back very easily.
Mike

You just posted it yesterday. Geez. Patience Mike. :cool:

I didn't want to jump into this initially but here goes. In my book, $6k is a price for a really really nice X. If it has a power problem, and we assume or hope it's the ignition, then the car is not at the really really nice level. Mechanical issues bother me not at all but then I shop at the bottom end of the spectrum, not the top. Unfortunately, blood sweat and tears done by an owner will rarely equate to any dollar value, only the result matters. When My two Xs got totaled in front of my house, most of the sympathy was directed at how much blood sweat and tears I put into both those cars and how terrible I must have felt but in reality, this is a hobby and my time effort really had no value to me.

Will your car sell for your price, I hope it does but cars are worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you put it on Craigslist or ebay or even BAT, saying it has no power and something needs fixing would be a deal killer.

Is there any Xhead near you that can come over on the weekend and take a look and maybe find the problem?

I didn't want to jump into this initially but here goes. In my book, $6k is a price for a really really nice X. If it has a power problem, and we assume or hope it's the ignition, then the car is not at the really really nice level. Mechanical issues bother me not at all but then I shop at the bottom end of the spectrum, not the top. Unfortunately, blood sweat and tears done by an owner will rarely equate to any dollar value, only the result matters. When My two Xs got totaled in front of my house, most of the sympathy was directed at how much blood sweat and tears I put into both those cars and how terrible I must have felt but in reality, this is a hobby and my time effort really had no value to me.

Will your car sell for your price, I hope it does but cars are worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you put it on Craigslist or ebay or even BAT, saying it has no power and something needs fixing would be a deal killer.

Is there any Xhead near you that can come over on the weekend and take a look and maybe find the problem?
Carl,
You are correct. Maybe $6000 is too much to ask but the wheels and tire alone are $1600.
It is worth more in all the new parts than $6000...lol
I am going to put the aftermarket distributor back in and call it a day. I destroyed the original one attempting another tear down.
If $6000 is too much what would be reasonable?
Mike

Just my two cents. Not trying to tell you what to do just want to make sure you don't end up wishing you did this differently. But what if you were to take it to a shop and have them sort out the ignition or timing or whatever it is (or if it's something worse then they'll find out for the price of a diagnostics fee and at least you'll know for sure) and then sell it. Even if it ended up costing $1k to fix, I believe this car with a strong running motor would fetch near $10k (maybe higher) on BAT. Even if you don't have the money now for a shop, then you could let it sit for a few months until you do - no harm in that. This may be out of line (so I apologize if it is) but based on what you've posted I feel like you're giving up too easily. This should be an easy fix or a relatively cheap fix at a shop. If there's other circumstances unrelated to the mechanical problems that are forcing you to sell it then by all means do what's best for you.

I have to be honest, I paid about $5300 for my X. I think I got it for a steal and I probably could have flipped it for a few grand more. It is roughly the same mileage as yours and yours is in better shape. If yours is a 9.5, mine is a 8. I don't think I would pay $6k for this car without knowing exactly what is wrong with it; not just educated guesses. Based on your other topic, my guess is it's either a ignition issue or a slipped timing belt . . . but it could also be engine damage, $6k is a big gamble on an X with an engine that is significantly down on power no matter how nice the body is. At a minimum do a compression test. A good result will give a potential buyer significant peace of mind that there isn't internal damage. You can get a compression tester that will do the job for less than $20 at harbor freight.

The extra factor is the wheels. They're worth a lot. They'd probably be worth more sold separately from the car as things are right now. On the off chance you decide to go that route, let me know I'd very likely be interested.

Just my two cents. Not trying to tell you what to do just want to make sure you don't end up wishing you did this differently. But what if you were to take it to a shop and have them sort out the ignition or timing or whatever it is (or if it's something worse then they'll find out for the price of a diagnostics fee and at least you'll know for sure) and then sell it. Even if it ended up costing $1k to fix, I believe this car with a strong running motor would fetch near $10k (maybe higher) on BAT. Even if you don't have the money now for a shop, then you could let it sit for a few months until you do - no harm in that. This may be out of line (so I apologize if it is) but based on what you've posted I feel like you're giving up too easily. This should be an easy fix or a relatively cheap fix at a shop. If there's other circumstances unrelated to the mechanical problems that are forcing you to sell it then by all means do what's best for you.

I have to be honest, I paid about $5300 for my X. I think I got it for a steal and I probably could have flipped it for a few grand more. It is roughly the same mileage as yours and yours is in better shape. If yours is a 9.5, mine is a 8. I don't think I would pay $6k for this car without knowing exactly what is wrong with it; not just educated guesses. Based on your other topic, my guess is it's either a ignition issue or a slipped timing belt . . . but it could also be engine damage, $6k is a big gamble on an X with an engine that is significantly down on power no matter how nice the body is. At a minimum do a compression test. A good result will give a potential buyer significant peace of mind that there isn't internal damage. You can get a compression tester that will do the job for less than $20 at harbor freight.

The extra factor is the wheels. They're worth a lot. They'd probably be worth more sold separately from the car as things are right now. On the off chance you decide to go that route, let me know I'd very likely be interested.

aarpcard,
Thank you for being candid. There other factors called family involved that prompted this.
I hope the engine is good and it sounds great at times. I am going to put the aftermarket distributor back in and the new coil that came with it. Then reset the timing belt and timing and see if that clears things up.

I think it is great that you have decided to sort out the ignition prior to selling. That makes good sense! Take it from someone that sold a nice X a few years ago for $1500 after getting frustrated with the FI system. Major regrets today! I also sold my 74 lime green X for $2200 to finance a business. That was a duress sale so not directly relevant, but It had restored CD30s and I am sure I got no real value from them on the car. I agree with the notion of selling your wheels seperately for max return, if after getting it sorted out you still want out. Either way, good luck!

Sale is on hole until a decision is made to either sell as is or perform the repairs then sell.
Mike

I have to agree with most. Selling your car as it is now will make you loose a lot of money. I owned and worked on X19 for nearly 40 years now. I'm not a mechanics. So when my 1987 let me down on the highway it took me 2 years to find the problem, even after a lot of help on the forum and a few days with my best friend, which is a good mechanics. The fact that I rarely could invest more than an 1 hour a week to work on it and not over the long canadian winter is part of the equation. So at that time, my white X with 70 000 miles, everything original including the faded paint and some tears in the seat would have worth less than 2000$ in canadian dollars. Now that I get it running, it could sell in a snap more than twice that.

Our situations may be different, but I just want to let you know if you could take the time to make it running, even if it is taking years, it may worth the wait. And at least, you could still work on it over the winter! Weather is much more willing in Florida than in Québec!

Back