Scorpion # 253 project

Discussion in 'X1/20 Forum' started by BEEK, Apr 19, 2017.

1. RJ80

RJ80 True Classic

My thoughts on a semi-gloss or satin black engine bay were inspired by period Ferraris, but you can never go wrong with body color. Black would probably make working in the engine bay slightly difficult at times, but I feel like such a color would also prevent having to pull the engine if I decided to change exterior color again. After all, the trunk is virtually covered in black carpet, so there's some symmetry.

2. Mark

Mark FIATFREAK

My thoughts exactly. I even paint the inside half of the doors black so I don’t see body color inside around the door perimeter.

3. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Beek, hope I'm not getting too far off topic here.
    When it comes to engine bays (and trunks for that matter), I've always considered them a "functional" area more than a "show" area. By that I mean they serve the purpose of housing the mechanical bits; an area for the vehicle's working parts, with all of their related fluids, lubes, electrical, lines, hoses, containers, hardware, etc. And they are covered/enclosed, not constantly open or exposed for regular display. Therefore I like them to be tidy, but not 'custom'. While I admire the show vehicles that hide everything in the engine bay to make them disappear, it does not make sense to me to do that on a street vehicle that is driven....even a nice one. So I'm with you guys, painting the inside of the bay (and trunk, etc) black, or even giving it a light coat of bed liner or another similar 'functional' finish, is perfectly fine to me. I prefer that to a color matched finish that shows every bit of dirt, oil, grease, road filth, blemish, etc. Same for the engine/trans and accessories; a bland color, natural metal finish, or similar is preferred to a lot of bright colors and chrome.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    RJ80 likes this.
  4. RJ80

RJ80 True Classic

Here's the engine bay of a red Fiat Dino to illustrate the point.
    e4.jpg

5. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

I should add, for engine bay or trunk colors, when I say a "black" finish I'm really saying any finish along that general idea. It could also be a grey, or a textured coat, or any similar finish.

And jumping way back to some earlier posts about finishes. For the aluminum stuff that you were debating about powder coating vs anodizing. How about give it whatever treatment you prefer - polished, brushed, bead blasted, etc - then clear powder coat it to keep it that way?