Scuderia Ferric Oxide

fiatfactory

Steve Cecchele
I'll put pictures of my lemons build in here and fill in a few details as I go.

124027958_906710569859743_6372914203622113826_n.jpg

in the beginning
73147201_2893668914011670_8377005274698874880_n.jpg
paint and bog off
20191125_115039.jpg
weight reduction
20191107_143609.jpg
test fit a few parts
20201019_100950.jpg20201024_181420.jpg20201024_181659.jpg
36DCA carby and plenum / bellmouth prep. fuel system
20201014_205958.jpg20210115_100746.jpg
pedal box mount in progress / brakes
20201108_100007.jpg
LHD conversion / adjustable steering column and column offset / centre tunnel mods
20201109_074121.jpg20201109_074106.jpg20201109_074039.jpg
cylinder head / manifold port moulds
20191001_103519.jpg20191001_103613.jpg20191001_104319.jpg
Exhaust system
20210122_191920.jpg
Transmission oil cooler
20210324_105513.jpg

as I add to this blog I'll make this the index with links to each section of the build

SteveC

Last edited:
Brakes and pedal box

Brakes are all re-purposed from the 2B build (I'll put a link in to that thread) as all brake components are not counted towards lemons dollars, so I figured the only way I'd get the brakes to last 24 hours without the need for a pad and disc change was to go all out. I'll list the cost of the parts and part numbers at the end if anyone is thinking of doing similar.

Willwood pedal box, adjustable front/rear bias, 3 x 3/4 inch master cylinders, bias adjustable cable / ratchet knob.
willwood pedal box and Mcylinders.jpg
I figured I'd start with 3/4 sized cylinders for the brakes, and if I felt a change was needed say for the front, then the 3/4 sized cylinder would at least be a spare for the rears / clutch as all three are identical.

calipers
wilwood calipers.jpg

test fit of calper / disc.
disc and caliper.jpg

I bought a set of Whoa adaptors but didn't like them made in alloy, so I've remade them in steel myself when I had some mill time with standard Fiat thread pitches. The Whoa brakes series 1 (suit a 257mm disc) mounts I got from from Midwest X19 @ 149.99US a pair plus postage was $339.53US for the mounting brackets that I haven't used (but i'm sure they will be)I I also got Matt's stainless brake hoses to suit fiat 10 x .25 at one end and Wilwood calipers at the other, $160US all four brake hoses. That's $500usd for caliper mounts and hoses

There's an ebay seller (tigertompistone) who sells Wilwood products at very competitive pricing. A pair of 120-6816 calipers for the front (4 x 1.75" piston suit a 0.81" - 20.5mm disc) at $124.95US each and a pair of 120-6807 calipers for the rear (4 x 1.38" piston suit a 0.5" - 12.5mm disc). $138.95US each, postage was a reasonable $47.90US. So thats another $575.70US for all four calipers.
Willwood pedal box ($220au) master cylinders ($57.50au each x 3) and in cabin adjustable bias assembly ($57au)
4 brake discs (257 x 20 vented and 257 x 12 solids) that cost me $250au from ebay.
Front discs are equivalent of Fiat / Lancia 82388579,

I think thats reasonable considering the prices of some aftermarket brake packages... and as has been said before, stopping is a pretty important part of the equation in racing, and more importantly, Zero lemons dollars cost

SteveC

Last edited:
Weight reduction - cutting away the rusty metal I don't want..

Lemons is all about performance restrictions due to cost, but one thing they simply don't poilice is weight, no minimum weights or restrictions on bodywork save rules

3.D.2 Doors: No Gull-wings! Or Lambo-doors; or anything else that will trap you in the event of a nasty incident.
and
3.J.1 Windshields: A sturdy, driver-protecting windshield is required. Minimum requirement is a laminated windscreen, and windshields must be thick enough and suitably braced to resist a heavy object striking the windshield at speed.
3.J.3 Guards, Doors, and bonnet required.
and
3.K.1 Engine Firewall: Gaps or holes in the engine firewall must be sealed up with metal plate or OE-type grommets. If you can see through it, we want it closed up. In addition to the required unbroken firewall between engine and cockpit, rear and mid-engined cars must have a sturdy rear window or other complete upper barrier for driver protection against fire, hot oil, angry villagers, etc. Metal, heavy polycarbonate (1/4-inch or thicker), and OE glass are all acceptable.

so it's pretty much open slather except for dealing with safety related issues.. I still want the car to look like a Fiat X1/9.

Fortunately in a previous race car build for a friend, I made a full set of moulds for fibreglass bonnet / boot / engine cover / door skins with glass removed / targa bar inner and outer skins. I can also lose quite a lot of weight from the bodywork with selective removal of metal which (for a race car) just isn't needed and I now think I have the car to the point where I have pretty much all the "excess" steel removed, and IMO haven't compromised the structural integrity of the unit. Would I race or drive the car just like this, well no, as the roll cage and bracing needs to go back in to ensure the torsional ridgidity is at least (hopefully more) that the OE sheetmetal, but overall a lot lighter...and in the spirit of the lemons rules the materials for the parts going on the car will be a "lemon's dollars" spend, but I can get an awful lot of perfomance improvement ith $200 of fibreglass matting and resin...again all labour is mine so it doesn't count towards the spend.

The car was pretty rusty too when I got it, not in the chassis or structurally important places, but enough to make the car an unconomical fixer IMO, so I'm not worried about cutting this chassis up for this purpose.
20191107_143609.jpg20191107_143616.jpg20191107_143632.jpg20191107_173043.jpg20191125_115127.jpg20191125_115138.jpg
the engine firewall will hinge along the lower edge (or perhaps the side edge if there are clearance issues to the seat) and inside will be the fuese box / relays and electrical wiring.
20201108_135223.jpg20201108_135259_LI.jpg

lemons rule 3.F.5 Fix Sharp Edges: Sharp edges in any location, but especially in and around the cockpit, must be rolled, removed, or securely covered

all the edges on the front of the targa bar I considered an issue, so I removed them... I'm going to repurpose the roof as the engine cover as I need a solid cover above the engine, I shortened a cracked roof I had, and this is where it will sit n the car to clear all the components. Sealing the sides in wont be too hard
20201112_143318.jpg20201112_143356.jpg20201112_143413.jpg20201116_095640.jpg20201116_095709.jpg

I will be replacing the taga bar with a fibreglass replica... I'm going to try and incorporate a roof and targa bar into one piece, I want the car to be closed roof. I'll make fibreglass bonnet / boot / targa bar roof / and door skins for weight reduction.
20201111_173233.jpg20201111_173225.jpg

the plan is somethng like this.
20201116_190342_LI.jpg20201116_190457.jpg
I'm going to make the targa / roof in one piece, pinned into the windscreen frame up front (nice holes already in the frame) and fastened at the back, so it should lift off in one piece and fit over / around the roll cage hoop, I think the angle doesnt look too silly... I was going to make it a sort of curved top, but thats getting difficult so sort a "fixed head coupe" and not a targa anymore
I'll notch out the drivers side section of the roof too to give more room to get in / out. lifting/ tipping the back of the roof by 3" / 75mm makes the opening a lot bigger

SteveC

Last edited:
Take the time to read this history of this LeMons exxe, how it evolved and how Jay (founder of LeMons) grew to admire this exxe..

Not sure if this applies to LeMons down under, it does present over a decade of racing this exxe at LeMons.

Bernice

Weight reduction.

Lemons is all about performance restrictions due to cost, but one thing they simply don't poilice is weight, no minimum weights or restrictions on bodywork save rules

SteveC

Take the time to read this history of this LeMons exxe, how it evolved and how Jay (founder of LeMons) grew to admire this exxe..

Not sure if this applies to LeMons down under, it does present over a decade of racing this exxe at LeMons.

Bernice
Hi Bernice,
yes I've read all your lemons posts and followed the race car for years, but as you have alluded the rules have moved on and a few concepts on that car just wouldn't pass current safety tech (front and rear windshields required just for staters - for example)

With your "FrankenX" it had the benefit of the "residual value" clause that applied when you re-enter a lemons car for it's second and subsequent events, so it allowed further development.... and it kinda gew it's own legs in your case.

I can't see an engine type change for this car ever, it just wouldn't make any sense for me to go down that path as I want to use the car as a test and development platform for a few ideas that could be applied to road cars too, and a bit of a dyno donkey (test mule) for some engine development stuff. Plus I'm going to try as hard as I can to actually justify the lemons dollars spending, but that's another whole big chapter of the blog that I won't bore you with right now

I believe lemons here in Ausralia (certainly in my part of the country over West) is a relatively new racing concept but very well received / followed and everyone I know that's done it has had a great time - "best fun ever at a race track" sort of responses so I'm itching to give it a go. I've never driven in a true "wheel to wheel" race event in a car. Lots of karting and lots of special stage rally / sprints / hillclimbs etc that are all one at a time / against the clock races, so this is somethng on my bucket list.

I'd certainly be keen for any input / ideas you may have as I work thru the build.

SteveC

36DCA Weber / manifold / airbox / plenum

lemons rule 4.2.a Besides the items and processes listed in Section 3, the following are considered safety-related and therefore exempt from the $999 spending limit: Wheels, tyres, wheel bearings, ball-joints, and brake components, exhaust systems downstream of the header/exhaust manifold (NOTE: Turbos and related components are NOT exempt from the $999 limit – nice try). Windshields and wipers, driver comfort & information (steering wheel, shifter, gauges, pedals, cool suits, vents, heaters, radio, etc), better fuel hoses/fittings/filters and related mounts, all fuel-system components upstream of the fuel pump (including tanks/cells, mounts, fillers, vents, etc). NOTE: Fuel pumps, carburetors, injection pumps, computers and individual injectors are exempt from the $999 limit.

I'm going to refer to rule 4.2.a a few times during this build.

For my build I see the carburettor as a lemons dollars exclusion as a very useful loophole. I purchased a NOS 36DCA carburettor, it was missing some parts (I didn't snap any pictures before I did my modifications) but it looked more or less like this with the choke diaphragm cover missing, but it had been sitting around for a long time, with some minor evidence of moisture in the fuel bowl / light white powdery corrosion. not what most people would see as a performance carburettor, but it has a few interesting features.
36DCA a .jpg36DCA b  _LI.jpg36DCA.jpg

After removing the choke assembly it looked more like this, I replaced the top cover with one from a DCNVH simply because the DCA one will work better on a stock vehcle fitment, with this engine I have more scope with fitment and the fuel inlet tail (which is actually becomimg the fuel return spigot) isn't in the way of the accelerator linkage. So I sliced the choke strangler flap assembly off (with a hacksaw and cleaned up with a flat file) and began to fit up a used bellmouth I've had on the shelf for years waiting for a good home. From ebay I purchased a redline DGAV carby base kit that suits a 5 1/8 inch air filter assembly. A bit of cut / slice / devcon / file and the base and bellmouth are one piece. The K&N plenum I found at a swap meet years ago, and have been intending to use for something just like this.

20201009_210252.jpg20201009_210310.jpg20201009_210316.jpg20201010_115654.jpg20201009_210333.jpg20201009_210344.jpg20201014_205958.jpg

Fittings for the carburettor fuel inlet / return arrived recently, I removed the original fuel inlet spigot, and drilled the remaining hole to 8.5mm and tapped it to 1/8NPT. This will now be the fuel return. The inlet is now an M16 x 1.5 banjo bolt screwed into what was once the brass plug that retained the in carb strainer / filter.

20210209_140937.jpg20210209_140958.jpg

the air filter box started out life on a fuel injected Fiat Argenta 2000, a few old bits and pieces, a storm water plumbing fitting, cut / file / glue / devcon.
20201017_170607.jpg20201017_170643.jpg20201017_170710.jpg20201017_211712.jpg20201019_130931.jpg20201019_101000.jpg20201019_130036.jpg20201021_104751.jpg20201021_104821.jpg

SteveC

Last edited:
Steve, what was your reasoning for picking that size carb? I assume dual carbs would have bit too much into your "budget".

Steve, what was your reasoning for picking that size carb? I assume dual carbs would have bit too much into your "budget".

It's all about sizing the carby to the engine I'm building and how I want it to perform.

The head I've built has 39.5mm inlet valve heads, but the seat throats are 36mm.

A 36DCA (and a 36DCNVA / DCNVH as well) might be only 36mm at the butterfly, but up at the inlet mouth of the carb they are up around 43mm across, probably to allow for the cross section occupied by th choke strangler flap (which is now gone)

The bellmouth goes from 48mm to 43mm at the base, the carb tapers frm 43mm at the mouth (with the strangler flaps and original intake removed) to 40mm just above where the venturi slots in, now I'm using a 32mm main venturi, so the increase in air speed will be high and the signal to the secondary venturi / primary diffuser will be strong, they are both things that give very good fuel atomisation and make the carburettor work very efficiently.

and yes simply not in the budget to buy a manifold for twin carbs. I made the carburettor adaptor plate, I milled away the original carby mount from an original euro X19 inlet manifold, I welded the adaptor plate into position, I spent a lot of time porting the head and intake...all thse things are zero lemons dollars value.

and yes with the weight, my aim is 700kg with a tank full of fuel, i.e. ready to race but with no driver onboard ...1540lbs is my goal... the steel targa bar I cut off was a little over 8kg (almost 1% of the original cars total weight), no glass (except for the OE windshield) and a lightweight fibreglass targa bar / roof is 20kg saved , all weight from up high above the cars centre of mass. Glass door skins and no intrusion bars and stripped bare drops another 30kg from the pair of doors.

SteveC

Last edited:
If the budget would have allowed, would you have put dual DCOEs on it?
It's all about sizing the carby to the engine I'm building and how I want it to perform.
I agree with Steve. I think the answer to Carl's question is "it depends". If your engine is built to the point it can take advantage of a lot of carb, and your goals for using the car match the resulting power band/curve, and you have the budget, well anything can be made to work. However in my humble opinion most X's on the road simply cannot meet all of those requirements to work best with dual carbs. But I'm only injection a personal opinion and not speaking on Steve's behalf.

I like the fiberglass components. ;)

These are not the components, they are moulds.

The components wont need the gelcoat finish, so will be lighter / cheaper to make as the gelcoat is one of the more expensive materials in the process.

20201116_095640.jpg20201116_095709.jpg

this much cut out of each door is another 8.5kg of "excess metal" per side, so roughly 2% of the original cars weight.
20201116_133635.jpg

SteveC

OK, next question. If the budget would have allowed, would you have put dual DCOEs on it?

probably not... it's an airflow and packaging thing with DCOE's , IMO they really don't suit the x19 chassis too well.

and a 40DCOE is quite restrictive in the primary diffuser (as I've mentioned many times before) and flows a lot less air than a 40dcnf.

If I was going to make a manifold it wouldn't have any bends, it would need to be very straight for best results, and I thnk I'd pick something like this as a throttle body... std equipment from from a boxer engined Alfa romeo, equivalent in size / dimensions to a 36IDF, but with injection and no need for either a primary or secondary venturi to restrict the airflow, could be mounted angled.
16 alfa sud throttle bodies b.jpg16 alfa sud throttle bodies a.jpg16 alfa sud throttle bodies.jpgcarburettors 003.jpg

SteveC

Sure any carb can be run at LeMons... What is FAR more important is un-bustability with total and utter reliability of the power train.
~Power train max output is of FAR lesser importance.

This is NOT a club event where the racer is run for maybe an hour or so.. the racer will be run to it's busting point hour after hour after hour and Murphy will have it's way if Murphy is not properly addressed in every way possible.

Too many LeMons folks focus on power train output only to have their power train explode in a few laps. Same with power train swaps and why these always end up in class C first time at LeMons. There have been folks show up in their LeMons racer with a full up race prepped, no expense spared race motor only to have it explode in short time.

Other stuff like gear boxes return in powdered form, brake pads become welded to the rotor, axles explode wrecking havoc on the chassis and LOTs more.

There are a long list of other factors like safety (extreme exposure to injury due to duration of on track exposure time), chassis-suspension, plumbing, electrical and all related. All it takes to end the LeMons event is a penny part coming un-done. Spring a leak, LeMons car is done or any of a long list of stuff that can and will happen.

Leaks are not tolerated as fluid leaks causes safety issues for other racers. The rotary exxe has all the typical AN fitting race car plumbing and hoses that would be found on any high-buck racer or aircraft.

Driving is another aspect of where Murphy can instantly end the LeMons event. Drivers trying to gain that that last fraction of a second per lap or extreme passion to pass that car in front can get car & driver is deep horse pucky real fast. Keep in mind this is an endurance event that goes on for hour after hour.. Driver in each car could be a world class endurance pro driver or a driver that has never put a wheel on a road course in their life.. stuff like this can and does happen.

Spoke to Dave & Dan after their Miata got launched, driver was ok, car not so much.. They did get it fixed up and back on track.

As for the fiber glass panels, the rotary powered exxe has them, doors, hood, rear lid. One of the very best ways to get more performance out of the exxe is to lower it's weight any way possible without creating excessive risk. Those panels are the simple and obvious ones to do.

Bernice

Last edited:
Oh, another curiosity of LeMons racing.. Factory prototypes have been endurance tested at LeMons... These are run by car manufactures to test durability. And, entire NSACAR teams have appeared in disguise with a car they prepped and driver(s) to take in the fun of LeMons.

Bernice

What is FAR more important is un-bustability with total and utter reliability of the power train.
~Power train max output is of FAR lesser importance.

Murphy will have it's way if Murphy is not properly addressed in every way possible.

Other stuff like gear boxes return in powdered form, brake pads become welded to the rotor, axles explode wrecking havoc on the chassis and LOTs more.

There are a long list of other factors like safety (extreme exposure to injury due to duration of on track exposure time), chassis-suspension, plumbing, electrical and all related. All it takes to end the LeMons event is a penny part coming un-done. Spring a leak, LeMons car is done or any of a long list of stuff that can and will happen.

Bernice

I couldn't agree more. Outright power is the furthest thing from my mind with this engine build for the lemons car, but adequate power is nice, and an abundance of torque would make the car easy to drive

the 36DCA (or any of the dcnf/dcnva/cnvh/dca series) is a far more tuneable carb than any of the dmtr/datr series of carbs, removeable venturis for starters. It also has a power valve (good for wot at high manifold vacuum) and it also has ported vacuum so I can run a vacuum advance (marelli Plex) distributor.

The engine base is from a regata 85. They use a flat top small flycut 34.9CH piston as standard and a no decompression recess combustion chamber, but with a very thick no re torque astadur head gasket, so the stock static compression is 9.4:1 standard. They use a 32/34 carb (24/25 venturi) and a 15/55 cam with 9.5mm lift...they make 85hp/87ft/lb, which is the same ratig as the euro X19 engine... (butthe X19 has a lower static CR, a larger carb and a longer duration higher lift cam

I've replaced the stock 36mm intake valves / valve seats with 39.5mm head inrtake valves and seats to suit. The cylinder head is good for in excess of 150CFM of intake flow at 10mm lift / 28" H20 depression, which is ell above the stock 85cfm of intake flow the head had., the only lemons dollars on performance is the cost of the valves and seats.

The rest of the engine build is simply good reconditioning / rebuilding practice when you have a budget, I can't replace everything, but I can spend my lemons dollars on the parts I think will make a difference, and spend a lot of time (zero lemons dollars) measuring and checking the parts I need to re use. the right head gasket and some careful machining and I'll get just on 10'4:1 static CR

I managed to find a set of "max speeding rods" for just $161aud delivered (ebay special) so they ae likely in the mix. Cam is a euro 1300

The exhaust is another place I can make gains, and everything after the stock euro twin out exhaust manifold is zero lemons dollars.

lemons dollars spend will be on things like the engine oil cooler / adaptor / fittings lines, and the transmission oil cooler / trans oil pump / fittings and lines that are vital components to keep Murphy at bay and stop the transmission turning to powdered metal....

That's actually kinda funny, as one of the guys who will be doing some drving for me, his surname is Murphy....

SteveC

Last edited:
Back