Selling the X & Bought an 75 Datsun 280Z

Wow, I just noticed you're thinking about selling your X.

I sold mine on BAT also. I was very pleased with process.

One of my biggest disappointments in selling my x is not being involved with the people on this forum as much. It is a good crowd.

Good luck with the auction!
And the new car.

Wow, I just noticed you're thinking about selling your X.

I sold mine on BAT also. I was very pleased with process.

One of my biggest disappointments in selling my x is not being involved with the people on this forum as much. It is a good crowd.

Good luck with the auction!
And the new car.
Thank you.

Yes, I am selling it - I have the BaT listing ready to go besides driving videos, I won't take them until the weather is appropriately mild. Datsun is already purchased. The X won't be listed until beginning of June, I have a couple of events to attend, including FFO before I want to let it go. I saw only two K-swap X1/9's sold on BaT in the past couple years, I assumed one was yours. The fact that mine is so heavily modded may well turn off many looking for the 'sleeper'.

Last edited:
Car should be on the trailer tomorrow, ETA is 3/10. I did order some bits I know it needs right away, like the weather strip / door seal kit & seat upholstery & foam. The state of tune I'll evaluate once it's here.

@dherr - does yours have a aftermarket sunroof? I'm thinking of adding a manual popup - I really don't like closed cabins. I can get a 17x31, but I don't know if 17" fore/aft is too deep for the curvature of the Z roof line over the seating area

Car should be on the trailer tomorrow, ETA is 3/10. I did order some bits I know it needs right away, like the weather strip / door seal kit & seat upholstery & foam. The state of tune I'll evaluate once it's here.
A quick valve adjustment really woke up mine.

@dherr - does yours have a aftermarket sunroof? I'm thinking of adding a manual popup - I really don't like closed cabins. I can get a 17x31, but I don't know if 17" fore/aft is too deep for the curvature of the Z roof line over the seating area

If you’re going the sunroof route I would go with a Wabasto style cloth folding style. I had one on my Marcos and it was really nice.

It's really a personal preference, just be sure before you cut. Roof curvature is one of the hardest things even for a pro body shop to get right should you ever decide to reverse course. You may not be concerned about selling the car someday, but if you do, the hole in the roof will affect the value significantly and not in a positive way. I've had a few projects over the years where someone has installed either a pop-up, or grafted in a late model motorized sunroof from a modern vehicle. The latest project I ran into this was a '66, so to try and keep it at least somewhat period correct I went with twincam69's suggestion of a folding roof. I've had them on several TVRs where they were standard equipment, and while I wish there was no hole in the roof at all they did function well.

A quick valve adjustment really woke up mine.

I meant to tag you in the sunroof Q - does yours have one?
If you’re going the sunroof route I would go with a Wabasto style cloth folding style. I had one on my Marcos and it was really nice.
It's really a personal preference, just be sure before you cut. Roof curvature is one of the hardest things even for a pro body shop to get right should you ever decide to reverse course. You may not be concerned about selling the car someday, but if you do, the hole in the roof will affect the value significantly and not in a positive way. I've had a few projects over the years where someone has installed either a pop-up, or grafted in a late model motorized sunroof from a modern vehicle. The latest project I ran into this was a '66, so to try and keep it at least somewhat period correct I went with twincam69's suggestion of a folding roof. I've had them on several TVRs where they were standard equipment, and while I wish there was no hole in the roof at all they did function well.

I can't live with a closed roof, unless there just is no way to get a suitable size panel. I really, really, don't care about resale value, or I'd not be buying the car in the first place since it won't remain stock not matter what happens.

I've had folding canvas roofs - My very first Fiat 500 in England had one, and I had a 78 Volvo Wagon with a full-length one that went back over the rest seats. I'd rather not go that route. EDIT - I will investigate the linked site, @jimmyx. I really want the light, so one like the pop up I put in Ann's 500 is what I'm really looking for. That one was 18x28. Very few options now, CRL doesn't make any, and Wabasto is also light on options for pop ups. I've been emailing with ASC in Canada, and they have a 17x31 - so the width is fine, but I don't know if 17" fore/aft will work.

IMG-20200624-173253.jpg

Last edited:
I meant to tag you in the sunroof Q - does yours have one?

I can't live with a closed roof, unless there just is no way to get a suitable size panel. I really, really, don't care about resale value, or I'd not be buying the car in the first place since it won't remain stock not matter what happens.

I've had folding canvas roofs - My very first Fiat 500 in England had one, and I had a 78 Volvo Wagon with a full-length one that went back over the rest seats. I'd rather not go that route. I really want the light, so one like the pop up I put in Ann's 500 is what I'm looking for. That one was 18x28. Very few options now, CRL doesn't make any, and Wabasto is also light on options for pop ups. I've been emailing with ASC in Canada, and they have a 17x31 - so the width is fine, but I don't know if 17" fore/aft will work.

IMG-20200624-173253.jpg
No roof on my car. I am a fan, ever since my 66 Beetle with the moonroof.

I did not have a sunroof on my 280 or 240Z. Don't have either car, but have fond memories of how they drive.

Check this 1 out to feel better about your purchase...

Check this 1 out to feel better about your purchase...

Thank you - yeah, 11k for a rust bucket that doesn't run 🤪

I'm afraid I've been busy lining up parts for the car I don't even have in my possession yet. Xenon spoilers,Disc Brake conversion kits, set of weather/seal strips, Rear axle conversion & probably an LSD. Want to get all the support items done before I think about the RB25DET conversion in a year or so.

Datsun won't be here until middle of next week. I spoke with the transporter this morning, apparently the rig broke down more than once :(

I had that happen last fall, delayed delivery for a week while they fixed the truck differential somewhere in Idaho :) It will get there, but agree the "waiting is the hard part" as the song says.........

Back