Selling the X & Bought an 75 Datsun 280Z

lookforjoe

True Classic
Now that I have no real work to do on the Fiat, I need another project (besides the V8 swap, that's not going to take very long).
Problem is, I don't have room for three 'project' cars, so something has to go (non-negotiable with the Mrs). I didn't think I ever want to part with the X1/9, however I need to keep moving on to another major project while I am still fit & able.

The thread that digressed partway into Datsun Z territory, made me think about the fact I really want one. So, if I find one worth getting into, I'll have to figure how to deal with the sale of the X1/9.

BaT seems to be a viable option, I'd appreciate any input from ppl who have sold cars that way, for sure.

I can't be objective about a price on it, I've never considered it until now.

This may be all for naught if I can't find the right car, but for now it's on the cards.

Page 5: Bought the '75 Z
Page 8: Z is shipped
Page 9: Z arrives, Fixing main cable / supply issue (MTA 30089 box)
Page 10: Cowl , wiper trans removal, tuneup, comp test
Page 11: Downpipe gasket,Xenon Spoiler install, attempted Valve adj, Skinny bumper install (front)
Page 12: Hatch Struts, clean up under matting, front seat re-upholstery & foam,
Page 13: seat upholstery (contd), minor floor rust, removing interior, EFI harness replacement, Shifter bushings,
Page 14: Iceland pics, Nardi Steering wheel, Hatch Louvre mounting, Cooling system
Page 15: T/stat housing, water pump, new rad hoses, fan shroud, AFM rewire, AC layout, MC heat shield, Re-drill rear rotors, QC fuel feed & return
Page 16: Door & hatch seals, LS quarter glass seals, begin vinyl covering rear interior panels
Page 17: Cowl prep, panel fitting, Dome light fix, Cowl paint, Washer Pump & lines, wiper transmission repair
Page 18: Hondas Wiper motor, Motor install + wiring, Strip front Susp.,
Page 19: Clean & prep front end parts, Wheel well, Susp. Reassembly, Zcar BBK
Page 20: Arch liner repairs, undercoating, Valve adj., No crank issue, Column UJoint, starter repl., starter relay
Page 21: 350Z, repl fusible links w/ aux fusebox, headlight relays, correction to caster rod bushing fitment
Page 22: Rear Bumper install, Heater core, valve, AN 10 bulkhead fittings, SS tubing for return, Fuel pump replacement
Page 23: Dismantled rear suspension, drive flanges, Modify Steering wheel, 3" cat back Hubcentric flanges, Muffler hanger
Page 24: welded flanges, Undercoat rear arches, clutch slave hose & boot, rear suspension assembly, rework exhaust
Page 25: Driver's door work, Pas. Mirror, Dash & HVAC work, alternative wipers, AC work, Dash dismantling,
Page 26: Dash frame & AC hose & duct work, AC compressor mount plate, condenser fitting, AC hose & fan work, heater box reno, evap drains, clock circuit board, Firewall passthrough AC/CIS harness, clock again, AC wiring, CIS wiring,
Page 27 CIS hardware, TB block off, clock III, CSV, Breather vent shield, fuel rail hoses, Battery tray paint, wiring, CIS TPS relay, AC t/stat wiring, AC relay, compressor wiring, Fuse/relay panel replacement, GM HEI ignition module
Page 28 Cut out fuse panel, Ancillary Relay panel, +, - rails, fitting HEI module, Volvo fan speed resistor, Power circuit wiring, Bay HEI ignition work, Blower casing mod for Kia blower, TB block off ports,
Page 29 Volvo AC trigger relay, Some HEI module issues
Page 30 Center console / gauge wiring, Console & carpet back in, fix for hunt condition - CIS signal interference,
Page 31 (Missing) AC duct install, ECT Pot adj, Hot cranking issues (starter), Pas 1/4 glass seals, Glovebox mod, Honda seat belt guide,
Page 32 Trans & Diff fluid, 280Z side decals tail panels H4 LED headlamps, tail panels, headlamp covers New mirror rev switch, GM HEI Module
Volvo Horns, LEDcompatable flasher relays,
Page 33 Tail lamp panel final install, Billet fuel rail, composite injectors, SS heat shield, adj Voltage Reg.
Page 34 Add fan 1st speed switch, Hatch Louvre edge molding,
Page 35
Page 36

Last edited:
Whoa there Hussein,

If you just need a project to keep your hands busy, you could remove a few more feet from your basement floor. :)

Now that I have no real work to do on the Fiat, I need another project (besides the V8 swap, that's not going to take very long).
Problem is, I don't have room for three 'project' cars, so something has to go (non-negotiable with the Mrs). I didn't think I ever want to part with the X1/9, however I need to keep moving on to another major project while I am still fit & able.

The thread that digressed partway into Datsun Z territory, made me think about the fact I really want one. So, if I find one worth getting into, I'll have to figure how to deal with the sale of the X1/9.

BaT seems to be a viable option, I'd appreciate any input from ppl who have sold cars that way, for sure.

This may be all for naught if I can't find the right car, but for now it's on the cards.
I will have to add a whole new forum to my regular rotation and learn a whole new car.

Sounds interesting. That would be an incredible change.

I have never driven one, I was surprised how little I like another well known sports car (that I actually co-own) based on where one sits relative to the CG of the car. It would actually be my concern with the Z. Getting some seat time in a few examples would be important.

Wow in any case.

Last edited:
I’m restoring a ‘76 280Z but when it’s done I’ll keep an X and sell the Z. They’re cool cars but don’t have the Italian soul.

I guess I need to get some seat time in one. Maybe it won't live up to my expectations. Not sure how much Italian soul is left in my example... :rolleyes:
Why don't you expand your garage as the next project. That way, there won't be any excuse not to get the Z car.
I do need to do that - however I can only add to the back on the existing footprint. I can't get a CO to enlarge what would need to happen for more vehicle storage.

I guess I need to get some seat time in one. Maybe it won't live up to my expectations. Not sure how much Italian soul is left in my example... :rolleyes:

I do need to do that - however I can only add to the back on the existing footprint. I can't get a CO to enlarge what would need to happen for more vehicle storage.
Any room to go up (or down)?

Well, it is your choice and you must do what you gotta do, but none of us on this forum will be pleased if you do! All I can say is that I recall walking out the door of a restaurant with my poet friend one night and he sees me getting into the X 1/9 and he stop dead and exclaims, "My God! This is a work of art!" Don't recall anyone who had any sensitivity ever saying that about ANY of my other vintage cars. The X 1/9 is a visual experience as much as a driving one.

I guess I need to get some seat time in one. Maybe it won't live up to my expectations.
Owning both a Z & an X, I can tell you the X is way more enjoyable to drive, although I am partial since Ive had it since I was 23. The Z is a beautiful car & gets lots of attention. I will be putting all new urethane bushings in this spring. We'll see what that does for it. If you make it to the FFO this year, you're welcome to come check mine out. It may even spend some time there.

Never liked the mirrors way down on the bonnet. Pointless. A local kid who buys a fair numbers of cars had one, but got rid of it quickly for a Honda S2000. He still has that one. If you’re looking to profit from a rebuild, those silly Porsche 914’s seem to be on fire!

Owning both a Z & an X, I can tell you the X is way more enjoyable to drive, although I am partial since Ive had it since I was 23. The Z is a beautiful car & gets lots of attention. I will be putting all new urethane bushings in this spring. We'll see what that does for it. If you make it to the FFO this year, you're welcome to come check mine out. It may even spend some time there.
Cool! I am planning on attending the FFO - which reminds me I need to book it, I got the time off to make the trip.

Ju

Just sell the Volvo ;)

Just sell the Volvo ;)

I know - Since I'm retiring from teaching after next school year I've thought about selling the C30, but that is the one all purpose DD that is reliable for drives to Canada, etc. My wife does NOT like that idea. The pickup truck, I need for the work I have to do on the house (and garage DTR), so that's not an option.

There are peripheral problems with the whole idea - one being I don't know if I'll want to hang out with "Datsun" ppl online and at shows, I've gotten very used to the awesome ppl on this forum. 😁

Your situation is remarkably similar to mine. I need to be constantly wrenching on Fiats. When I get near completion of a project I start looking for another and like you I am really allowed only two licensed "projects" and one in the garage although I usually have to sell one to finance the next.

I was looking at a 128 and had to consider selling Fatrat or brownX.

Unlike the clowns who posted above I would never try to convince you not to sell your X. Your heart dictates what direction you head off on, not what advice we give you.

Your X is very unique so I might try selling here but I agree BaT is probably the way to go.

There are peripheral problems with the whole idea - one being I don't know if I'll want to hang out with "Datsun" ppl online and at shows, I've gotten very used to the awesome ppl on this forum. 😁
I joined 2 Z forums trying to locate a 2 year only thermostat housing. No replies except for scams. No moderators policing them. I took the Z to a Japanese auto event at the Larz Anderson museum last summer. Met some Z group members & told me they were doing a drive the following weekend. He gave me a card with their Facebook page on it. Had to pay to become a member to view the event details.... Pass. You won't find a better forum or support group than this one.

If you already got an X and a Z, maybe you need a Y... 🤪

Back