Selling the X & Bought an 75 Datsun 280Z

That has to be killing you, the anticipation is the worst. At least it was for me as I waited.
I had that happen last fall, delayed delivery for a week while they fixed the truck differential somewhere in Idaho :) It will get there, but agree the "waiting is the hard part" as the song says.........

Yeah. The tough part is not buying more parts for a car I don't even have eyes on yet 🤪

Of course the car has arrived in the heavy snow :( - Have to go meet the transporter in about an hour, and drive it from the drop off point, he says he can't fit the rig on my road.

Sci-bomb-cyclone-901229718.jpg

Laughing with you Joe not at you.

If it has summer tires that will be one scary ride, ask me how I know.

In my driveway. No issues driving it, thank fully the snow was falling lightly by the time I picked it up to drive home. It was blowing sideways all morning, ground is too warm for it to stick apparently (thankfully). It definitely needs a bunch of work ASAP (motor mounts, shifter bushings, seat foam & upholstery, brakes, suspension) most of those parts I already ordered, just because :)

PXL_20230314_184118225.jpg

PXL_20230314_184141775.jpg

PXL_20230314_184149087.jpg

PXL_20230314_184126479.jpg

For cosmetics, I already ordered F&R (Xenon) spoilers, skinny chrome bumpers w/ rub strips, tall grille (Skillard)
PXL_20230312_193454358.jpg

Honda (Acura integra 96-98, Civic 92-95) wiper motor to replace NLA Datsun version. I found the proper (Yazaki 58X) terminal housing, not down with butt-splice as per online references :)

PXL_20230313_185850539.jpg

Last edited:
Great project! Can't wait to see the ITB's on that engine. ;) I would have already removed the tie-wrapped grill in front, even if it means lying in a snowbank to do do. I'm sure you will not live with them for long (especially with the new spoiler waiting on the side of the house).

BTW, snowbanks are still here in the Montreal area.

In my driveway. No issues driving it, thank fully the snow was falling lightly by the time I picked it up to drive home. It was blowing sideways all morning, ground is too warm for it to stick apparently (thankfully). It definitely needs a bunch of work ASAP (motor mounts, shifter bushings, seat foam & upholstery, brakes, suspension) most of those parts I already ordered, just because :)

Honda wiper motor to replace NLA Datsun version. I found the proper (Yazaki 58X) terminal housing, not down with butt-splice as per online references :)

View attachment 71340
Loving it already.

I can see some serious rewiring in the engine bay in the future, that is a bunch of inline crimp connectors…

Some really interesting and odd details. The accelerator pedal connection to the throttle body is pretty intense.

Last edited:
Yeah - I took a few pics of the one in town for comparison - the one my neighbor told me about - it's actually 78 280Z, low miles. In nice shape, minimal rust

PXL-20230312-191911528.jpg

His (unmolested) bay - has some extra doo-dads - like the vacuum operated valve attached to the mid area of the throttle rod
PXL_20230312_191359898.jpg

mine again
PXL_20230314_184126479.jpg

How does the weight of that motor in your truck compare with that straight six? I recall those Scarab conversions using iron small blocks.

I like the unvented hood better.

Given what you are likely to do, unless you have flipped the playbook to have the first Zcar at Amelia Island, I would expect lots of changes in that engine bay anyway making what is there immaterial.

I hope you are not suffering remorse.

Yeah - I took a few pics of the one in town for comparison - the one my neighbor told me about - it's actually 78 280Z, low miles. In nice shape, minimal rust

View attachment 71363

His (unmolested) bay - has some extra doo-dads - like the vacuum operated valve attached to the mid area of the throttle rod
View attachment 71361
mine again
View attachment 71362
Interesting to see some of the minor but significant process changes by Datsun from the earlier car. You can see seam sealer on the edges of the strut mount turret on the later car for example, I am sure one would find many other differences as they worked to improve quality and longevity.

Lots of differences in the injection system due to emissions, though one can see evidence they were thinking about it with some of the bosses for the later adds on the early manifold.

What's really cool is so many of us are totally on board with this project and can't wait for the next "episode".
I was feeling grouchy about dealing with all the hoses and wires on my recently purchased fuel injected spider. After looking at your engine bay I don't feel so bad anymore.

How does the weight of that motor in your truck compare with that straight six? I recall those Scarab conversions using iron small blocks.

I'm not sure - my current feeling is to keep this one Nissan though.
I like the unvented hood better.

Given what you are likely to do, unless you have flipped the playbook to have the first Zcar at Amelia Island, I would expect lots of changes in that engine bay anyway making what is there immaterial.

I hope you are not suffering remorse.
Me too.
I'm still going to fix what's there for now - it will likely be more than a year until I get into whatever the next stage will be. Once I have the V8 swap underway and the X1/9 sold :( , I'll likely buy the RB25DET drivetrain, as the prices on that are not going down.

Yeah. Maybe a little. My first impression of the car as a whole was definitely on the 'oh my' end of the scale. So many things need attention, high mileage wear door cards, armrests, things that I didn't think about, and will need to address ASAP or I won't feel good about moving forward. I wanted a long term project, and that it is.

Interesting to see some of the minor but significant process changes by Datsun from the earlier car. You can see seam sealer on the edges of the strut mount turret on the later car for example, I am sure one would find many other differences as they worked to improve quality and longevity.

Lots of differences in the injection system due to emissions, though one can see evidence they were thinking about it with some of the bosses for the later adds on the early manifold.

I didn't catch the seam sealer - good eye. Looking online, so many changes from 75 - 78 - for example they redesigned the door catches, door panels, etc., so much is not (readily) interchangable.

I noticed the 78 has a nice heat shield for the brake & clutch masters - I don't think I have that

I'm with you on the long project part, the rebuild is the fun part. When I start taking things apart if they are even suspect I like to exchange or rebuild. It just doesn't feel right not too.

That engine bay is a rats nest with lots of opportunity for improvement. Also must be nice to have a brake master cylinder located in a spot it will not soak your pants with brake fluid.

Enjoy and do keep us informed on the project, maybe they can set up an memoriam page for those no long with an X. 😩

I'm not sure - my current feeling is to keep this one Nissan though.

Me too.
I'm still going to fix what's there for now - it will likely be more than a year until I get into whatever the next stage will be. Once I have the V8 swap underway and the X1/9 sold :( , I'll likely buy the RB25DET drivetrain, as the prices on that are not going down.

Yeah. Maybe a little. My first impression of the car as a whole was definitely on the 'oh my' end of the scale. So many things need attention, high mileage wear door cards, armrests, things that I didn't think about, and will need to address ASAP or I won't feel good about moving forward. I wanted a long term project, and that it is.
this will receive sooo much attention the way it is you'll forget about the armrests & door panels ....

Dealt with the battery connections today - the cable terminals & spliced in fusible link for the EFI system were really bad. The steel tray had some battery acid, so I cleaned it with baking soda & flushed the area. I'll have to go back & deal with prime & paint later.

Adding the MTA 0300089 fuse block
PXL_20230315_195752856.jpg

cut off the (-) butt splice in the above pic - the small ground (EFI) literally pulled out with no effort. crimped a new length of wire
PXL_20230315_203201166.jpg

(+) fusible link mess
PXL_20230315_212522157.jpg

EFI feed now goes to the 40A block
PXL_20230315_212048830.jpg

Done. Clears inner hood support
PXL_20230315_221407235.jpg

The cowl on the PS was pushed down - I massaged it level again. I'll have to see if I can massage that dent at some point
PXL_20230315_221621081.jpg

Looked at the wires, etc., to see if there was anything obvious that would impact the hard start condition. I forgot to take a pic, the cap & wires are ****ED!!! I wiggled the wires at the cap, and they fell off the cap, with the cap posts crumbling to dust. Amazing it ran so smooth. New parts on order.

Interior pics
PXL_20230315_221645794.jpg

Driver's door panel & armrest. These are made as reproductions (not currently available), about $400 for the pair, so that is in my future.
PXL_20230315_221704991.jpg

hatch seal (lack thereof)
PXL_20230315_221824492.jpg

lumpy dash cap
PXL_20230315_221816531.jpg

Bra anyone?
PXL_20230315_221811623.jpg

botched grille
PXL_20230315_223331346.jpg

I printed the Nissan 280Z Manual I found online...
PXL_20230315_231409426.jpg

PXL_20230315_231418089.jpg

Leather upholstery & foam (both seats) arrived this evening - I ordered that a couple weeks ago
PXL_20230315_230914641.jpg

PXL_20230315_230919389.jpg

Back