Selling the X & Bought an 75 Datsun 280Z

"I'm sure one could dig up negative articles on any make of car."

That's my point. EVERY car up to about the mid to late '80s rusted like crazy. It's gotten a LOT better, but as long as cars have steel, they'll rust. Unfortunately some like Honda still rust more than others.
Very true.

As for my prior comment regarding the engineering and quality of Japanese vehicles from the era, I was thinking more in terms of the technological design. Such as engine efficiency, weight savings, mechanical reliability, etc. But that's not to say they were perfect, just more advanced than products from some other makers. Particularly for the time.

Very true.

As for my prior comment regarding the engineering and quality of Japanese vehicles from the era, I was thinking more in terms of the technological design. Such as engine efficiency, weight savings, mechanical reliability, etc. But that's not to say they were perfect, just more advanced than products from some other makers. Particularly for the time.
I had a 71 Honda 600 coupe. Hondas first US import. It had rack & pinion, struts in the front & front disk breaks. These features weren't available on many US cars at that time.

I had a 71 Honda 600 coupe. Hondas first US import. It had rack & pinion, struts in the front & front disk breaks. These features weren't available on many US cars at that time.
Now I'm getting way off topic, sorry. There was a very clean, all original, rust free, complete, no damage 600 sitting next to a house near me. I stopped one day to inquire about it and the husband told me it belonged to his wife. It was a gift from her dad when she was a teenager therefore she would never get rid of it. A couple of months later I noticed it was gone. I guess she changed her mind. :(

I have owned many cars from many manufactures from many countries I can say with out a doubt the Japanese cars are the best built, aka lowest number of problems.

I read an article once in R&T about a staff member who bought a 12 year our CRX. He had pulled the wheels off to address the breaks and it was an absolute mess and his sprites drop quickly. Upon a quick wire brushing and some compressed air he was shocked to find whole assembly in great condition because Honda had used various alloys that did not rust. He had not seen this before with other American and European bands and showed why the Japanese cars lasted so long.

In another story back in the early 2000s a BMW rep was a talking to a group of reporters about their on going electrical problems with their cars. He explained that car electronics where advancing so fast that it was impossible to catch every problem. At which point one of the reporters pointed out that Lexus seemed to have figured it out. He sat they wordless and sour faced.

As you say no car is perfect and every new car needs 3 years of production to work out teething issues despite the brand but, the Japanese are still the top performers in reliability.

Created a listing for BaT, I don't want to list it until after I go to NH FFO in June. Not familiar with their process, however it seems that the listing is reviewed, edited as needed, then I'm assuming I can set the listing time frame at that point.

I'm currently trying to get this 240Z. 2.4L, 4 speed 60K miles. Adding pics here, as it's hard to look at them on the consignment site. Car appears decent for the mileage, mostly original with a few positive updates such as the carbs. Was repainted the original orange in the early 2000's

2-1345.jpg

11-1275.jpg 10-853.jpg
appears to be missing inset trim for rear glass
5-1253.jpg15-1013.jpg
rust at base of A pillar?
uncut (for crap speakers) door cards.
12-1200.jpg 16-921.jpg 17-832.jpg 7-1041.jpg
definitely got rust down there
6-1144.jpg 22-891.jpg 9-909.jpg

Has non factory carbs (a good thing)
1973_datsun.jpg

Attachments

• 4-1295.jpg
    4-1295.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 14-1070.jpg
    14-1070.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Created a listing for BaT, I don't want to list it until after I go to NH FFO in June. Not familiar with their process, however it seems that the listing is reviewed, edited as needed, then I'm assuming I can set the listing time frame at that point.
First you have to submit the vehicle info and a few photos to determine if BaT will accept the listing and both parties agree to the reserve the seller wants. Next a list of everything done to the car and between 100-200 photos are uploaded to BaT and they will write the listing entirely. You get to review and suggest edits and corrections, but their listings are usually simple and don't really contain a bunch of info. Once you give the final okay, the listing will go live anywhere between 2 and 8 weeks later depending on the volume of cars ahead of you. You will also be well served to have an extensive 'walk-around' video, cold start video, and driving video ready to upload too. 'Selling' the car during the auction is on you. The videos and the detailed information you provide, as well as your interaction answering an endless stream of generally stupid questions without losing your cool will determine the final outcome. BaT is probably the best shot at maximizing your return, they are the largest specialty auction house in the country (by $ volume), eclipsing Barret-Jackson and Mecum combined, so the exposure is there. In the end, it's a good deal of work over the 7 day run and the only unknown is that you have to hope the right buyer is in the room when it's listed.

That Z car looks OK. I think it's a very popular color. I'm no Z expert but I think the '72 Z had the best carbs (SU) but I don't know what's on that car? Are they stock? Also, I believe the best cylinder head was on an early 240 too. Wonder if this car has it?
Of course there are several places to look for rust, hope this car isn't too bad.
But, one thing I have a hard time getting over are the louvers on the hood. :oops: Maybe it's just me?

The carbs look like Weber DGVs. I would have preferred the louvers to the sides of the central hump rather than on it but I don't see that as a deal breaker if the car is otherwise in good shape.

Had a buddy who worked at a Datsun dealer somewhere in CO back in 1970. He traded his big Healy on a then new '70 240Z. Said it was amazing how similar the two cars were. Guess the Japanese were still heavy into copying at that point.

First thisngs to go were the aweful wheels and hubcaps - set of slotted mags like the orange car pictured.

And for Honda Z600's I offer my favorite picture:

1675881156672.png

That Z car looks OK. I think it's a very popular color. I'm no Z expert but I think the '72 Z had the best carbs (SU) but I don't know what's on that car? Are they stock? Also, I believe the best cylinder head was on an early 240 too. Wonder if this car has it?
Of course there are several places to look for rust, hope this car isn't too bad.
But, one thing I have a hard time getting over are the louvers on the hood. :oops: Maybe it's just me?

This had Solex carbs, apparently. They were replaced with what appears to be Webers on adaptor runners that were sold at some point in time , according to a couple of Z owners on TurboBricks

The louvres I'm OK with. I'm assuming it's not a factory thing, I've seen others with louvres set further out, but not one like this. The overall condition in terms of interior trim & seating, etc., looks beter than many others I've seen online, esp. for the price. I'm assuming that I will be rebuilding the suspension, etc. & who knows what in terms of undercarriage rust.

I will need to add the jdm front spoiler - like this. I don't like the tucked under look, same thing I did with the X1/9 in the beginning

s-l1600.jpg

EDIT - this one looks better
Xenon 3125, one of the T'Brickers has it on his '78
proxy-image.jpeg

Last edited:
Had a buddy who worked at a Datsun dealer somewhere in CO back in 1970. He traded his big Healy on a then new '70 240Z. Said it was amazing how similar the two cars were. Guess the Japanese were still heavy into copying at that point.

First thisngs to go were the aweful wheels and hubcaps - set of slotted mags like the orange car pictured.

And for Honda Z600's I offer my favorite picture:

View attachment 70451

My friend with a Fiat 500 (also had a 850 convertible I tried to give away on here) stores his like this:
329117536_907265940720095_3402264881416976797_n.jpg

Back in the '90s when Z's were MUCH more affordable I discovered a 99% restored 240Z for $5,000 (about $10k in our worthless scrip today). I have always really liked the styling of the 240Z because it reminds me of a Series IV Japanese E-Type. But when I started driving it I just wasn't that impressed. It felt slow, heavy, and clunky. I decided to spend a bit more time and widen my net. Today 240Z's in original or restored condition are going for serious money ($50k+) so what the hell do I know? Maybe the car was just thrown together and needed a lot of sorting. I remember the shifter parts were worn out making it difficult to shift into the proper gear.

If I were Hussein I'd contact a local Z club and get some stick time. So many cool cars out there yet undiscovered by the collectors. The Lotus Elise is still undervalued in my opinion. (Just like an X 1/9 but serious giddy-up.) If I had some cash I'd start with one of those. Remember the 25 year rule? I'm looking for one of those rare early lightweights forgotten in a barn in outer Mongolia!😁

Last edited:
It doesn't take much to make a potentially nice driving car a disappointment. Worn out suspension/steering, twenty year old tires at too low a pressure, shifter linkage worn, carbs no longer set right and ignition timing off, brakes needing work..........but a fantastic paint job!

I kept wondering why I saw so many Miatas for sale with an LS swap until I found out the LS was a designation for certain Miata model.

The Z car has enough power to get out of it's own way so I see no need for engine swaps...even for Hussein.

Back