Selling the X & Bought an 75 Datsun 280Z

I know - Since I'm retiring from teaching after next school year I've thought about selling the C30, but that is the one all purpose DD that is reliable for drives to Canada, etc. My wife does NOT like that idea. The pickup truck, I need for the work I have to do on the house (and garage DTR), so that's not an option.

There are peripheral problems with the whole idea - one being I don't know if I'll want to hang out with "Datsun" ppl online and at shows, I've gotten very used to the awesome ppl on this forum. 😁
Storage garages nearby are too pricey? The X19 is tiny. There have been nany days we've considered that option for the X19, as our four cars are one over the garage's limit. That Volvo C30 - built on the Mazda3 frame?

Last edited:
Storage garages nearby are too pricey? The X19 is tiny. There have been nany days we've considered that option for the X19, as our four cars are one over the garage's limit. That Volvo C30 - built on the Mazda3 frame?
The bottom line is I can't drive more than 3 cars. The Fiat is my fair-weather ride, which means Late spring to late Fall, typically. I also have to be really picky about where I park it, so I won't use it for any driving where I don't know the parking situation. The same will be true for whatever replaces it.
The other 2 I rotate the rest of the year every other day to keep them in motion. If I park a car in a garage elsewhere, I'll never drive it. I know the way I am.
The C30 was Volvo under Ford ownership, along with Mazda. The C30, Maxda3 & Ford Focus 2000-2013 have the same underpinnings, which is not to say they handle or feel remotely the same....

The bottom line is I can't drive more than 3 cars. The Fiat is my fair-weather ride, which means Late spring to late Fall, typically. I also have to be really picky about where I park it, so I won't use it for any driving where I don't know the parking situation. The same will be true for whatever replaces it.
The other 2 I rotate the rest of the year every other day to keep them in motion. If I park a car in a garage elsewhere, I'll never drive it. I know the way I am.
The C30 was Volvo under Ford ownership, along with Mazda. The C30, Maxda3 & Ford Focus 2000-2013 have the same underpinnings, which is not to say they handle or feel remotely the same....
The Mazda5 is also a platform mate. I’ve had some hilarious day dreams of swapping in the Mazda6 turbo AWD drivetrain. Or going even crazier and doing a Volvo S40/V50 turbo 5 cylinder and AWD. I do appreciate the auto makers who take a Lego approach to their parts bin.

The Mazda5 is also a platform mate. I’ve had some hilarious day dreams of swapping in the Mazda6 turbo AWD drivetrain. Or going even crazier and doing a Volvo S40/V50 turbo 5 cylinder and AWD. I do appreciate the auto makers who take a Lego approach to their parts bin.

They already made that - S40 & V50 T5 AWD (2005-2010) :) I removed the AWD drivetrain from one to convert my C30T5, which was never offered in AWD

And a Willys wagon to tow everything so you can fill in the alphabet from Volvo all the way to “Z”!
I know - Since I'm retiring from teaching after next school year I've thought about selling the C30, but that is the one all purpose DD that is reliable for drives to Canada, etc. My wife does NOT like that idea. The pickup truck, I need for the work I have to do on the house (and garage DTR), so that's not an option.

There are peripheral problems with the whole idea - one being I don't know if I'll want to hang out with "Datsun" ppl online and at shows, I've gotten very used to the awesome ppl on this forum. 😁
Hi Hussein, I got one for you: https://bid.bidfastandlast.com/ui/auctions/94697/10655666 This is a vehicle recovered from my work and now up for auction. It is I believe a one owner vehicle.

tvmaster, my comment was tongue in cheek. We will always help each other but we also give each other a lot of grief. We like to have fun....without actually hurting anyone's feelings.

I have owned most Datsun models except for a Z and still have my 1200 coupe.. The people on that forum are very similar to the people here.The only Z I would consider though is a 240, they went downhill pretty steeply from there. I would not sell an X for a Z, they will serve the same purpose in your case though no? A fair weather half year driver? If you're tired of the X, then I guess why not? If not, if it were me I'd ditch the Volvo. But I might feel differently if I wasn't in Los Angeles 🤔

I have owned most Datsun models except for a Z and still have my 1200 coupe.. The people on that forum are very similar to the people here.The only Z I would consider though is a 240, they went downhill pretty steeply from there. I would not sell an X for a Z, they will serve the same purpose in your case though no? A fair weather half year driver? If you're tired of the X, then I guess why not? If not, if it were me I'd ditch the Volvo. But I might feel differently if I wasn't in Los Angeles 🤔

I'm not tired of the X1/9, I love it. The problem is that I have to have a project & this one has gone as far as it can, IMO. I don't want to start f'ing with it just for the sake of it, it feels very well finished in it's current form. I need the pickup for practical reasons.

I have owned a 240Z and a 280Z. The 240Z is the lightest and most collectable but also the most expensive. The 260Z was definitely a downhill direction, but the 280Z with the fuel injected engine was great and while slightly heavier than the 240Z, it made up for it with the bigger engine. Fun cars, handle great, big torquey engines, would like to have another one but they are getting harder to find.

I fully understand your position and support it. In fact I've been thinking ahead about what to do with my current collection of cars when I'm finished in Las Vegas. I plan to move to another country and cannot take my vehicles there, so everything will have to go. And I'm ok with that; they are only cars, not living beings. Throughout my life I've owned at least 100 of them. I think the one that stayed with me the longest was almost 10 years, while most only lasted until I finished building them. Because that is why I buy any vehicle, to build it...not to own it. But I never intend to "flip" any of them, it's just a matter of moving my interest to another build. I enjoy the custom build process, kind of my take on doing artwork I guess.

Therefore I have the same question as you, what venue to utilize for selling a custom built car. Lately BAT seems to be the go-to place. Since I don't do social media I cannot speak for Facebook Marketplace. eBay was once a big resource but seems to have fallen out of favor (I think?). In the past I usually either have people asking to buy my car or I simply put a "for sale" sign in the window. And they are gone if a matter of a few days.

As for buying a Z or not, that's totally a personal choice. I've never owned any Japanese (or Asian) vehicles other than a couple of vintage Honda motorcycles. My impression is a Japanese car from the same era as the X will be far better engineered and significantly better build quality. And the market for Japanese vehicles has exploded in recent years. Support in terms of parts and accessories will be MUCH better than for old Fiats. So why not, the learning curve is as much fun as the build process.

As far as where to post a car you want to sell, what you want is maximum exposure to the biggest crowd. Then you have to balance that against cost and hassle. BaT is probably at the top of all those, biggest exposure, cost and hassle. Custom cars are harder to figure out. My most modified Fiats actually sold here or Mira. Craigslist used to be my go to place for normal Fiats and My Miatas but FB marketplace has seemed to have taken over that venue. The obscure auction sites like Hemmings and others seems to me to have limited following but I admit I have never listed a car on an auction site.

My impression is a Japanese car from the same era as the X will be far better engineered and significantly better build quality.

Just toooooo funny! 🙄

HONDA WILL REPAIR FENDERS THAT RUSTED ON '75-'78 CARS​

By Karen de Witt, Special To the New York Times
  • July 31, 1981
The Federal Trade Commission announced today that the American Honda Motor Company had agreed to repair the prematurely rusted fenders of 1975 to 1978 Honda automobiles or reimburse their owners.
Approximately 700,000 Honda Civic and Accord models sold in the United States are covered by the consent agreement. The problem, which could cost the Japanese automobile manufacturer tens of millions of dollars, resulted from a design flaw that allowed moisture and debris to lodge in the fender.
Once the rust appears, the problem can be cleared up only by replacing the fenders, according to Linda Colvard Dorian, deputy director of the Bureau of Consumer Protection of the Federal Trade Commission. Miss Dorian said that the consumer had to pay $250 a fender, including painting, for such repairs.
In today's agreement, Honda agreed to replace at no charge the front fenders on all 1975 to 1978 Hondas that experienced rusting in the car's first three years. According to the trade commission, Honda corrected the design problem that led to rusting on Honda models produced after 1978, all of which carry a three-year warranty against rust.

The complaint that the commission issued with the consent agreement says that American Honda was aware of the rust problem and failed to tell consumers about the problem or about measures they could take to minimize the damage. Owners in 24 States Involved
If the commission makes the consent decree final after a 60-day period for public comment, the company must write to owners in 24 ''salt-belt'' states and the District of Columbia explaining the replacement program. In a consent decree, a company agrees to take certain actions without acknowledging any wrongdoing.

The salt used to clear snow and ice from roads is the main cause of this particular rust problem. The states involved are Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin.
The restitution program will cover rust on the top of the front fender, within two feet of the windshield. The rust first appears in the form of bubles or blisters in the paint and eventually develops into holes.
If the company fails to complete fender repairs within 180 days after a car's inspection by a dealer, a car owner can obtain cash reimbursement of $150 a fender. Honda owners who have repaired front fenders that rusted in the car's first three years will also be reimbursed for their expense.

Russell B. Daly, product claims manager for American Honda, said that the consent agreement requirements were ''not a surprise.'' ''This is basically a cooperative effort that we jointly worked out,'' he said. American Honda, the importer for Honda cars in the United States, has headquarter in Gardena, Calif.

Recall Set-Of '73-'79 Honda Cars
By Peter BehrNovember 7, 1981 Washington Post
American Honda Motor Co. said it plans to recall all 1973-1979 Honda cars sold in this country to check for possible rusting of crossbeams and other undercarriage suspension parts. It was the second major recall by Honda this year to deal with corrosion problems.

A Honda spokesman said the recall notices will not be sent to consumers until early next year, to give the company time to supply dealers with a new kind of antirust paint. "We can't even tell the dealers what to do yet," said the spokesman.

Some accidents have occurred because of the corrosion, which has caused breaks in the lateral suspension arms, front crossbeams and strut coil spring lower supports in some cars, but there have been no injuries, the spokesman said. No details on the number of accidents were provided.

The recall will affect 930,000 Hondas in the 1973 through 1979 model years and will cost $20 million, Honda estimates. Based on a survey it conducted earlier this year, about 2 percent of the cars will require "significant" repairs, Honda said. The company hopes that the new antirust treatment will be sufficient in most cases, the spokesman added.

Last July, Honda and the Federal Trade Commission reached a tentative agreement on a recall of Hondas from the 1975 through 1978 model years to compensate owners for severe rust on the top front fenders. The FTC has not yet taken final action on the program, but assuming that the agency stands by the agreement, Honda will issue recall notices asking owners to check with their dealers to determine elibility for repairs, installation of new fenders, or cash settlements.

The latest recall, on suspension parts, is voluntary, but the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said yesterday that it had "influenced" Honda's decision.

Honda said it became aware of the problem in December, following a rust recall by one of Honda's Canadian subsidiaries, and the U.S. organization began an investigation in this country. In August, the NHTSA informed Honda that it was conducting an engineering analysis of the undercarriage rust problem in response to owners' complaints and the Canadian recall.

An NHTSA spokesman said Honda had planned to limit the U.S. recall to cars sold in 15 northern states and the District of Columbia, where salt is widely used in winter to prevent icy roads, because the company blames its rust problem on road salt. The safety agency argued that the recall should be nationwide, and it prevailed, the NHTSA's spokesman said.

Honda wouldn't discuss its contacts with the NHTSA, but said the recall will cover all states "as a precautionary measure."

The NHTSA was involved in the suspension recall because of the potential safety hazard. The FTC's action, on the other hand, was not safety-related. The commission's Bureau of Consumer Protection contended that Honda knew, "or should have known," that its fenders were subject to "premature" rusting, and that it violated federal law by failing to disclose this to customers.

Honda Recalls 1.4 Million Vehicles, Including 430K for Salt Corrosion Problem​

Salt-affected 2007–2015 Accord, Fit, Civic Hybrid, and Acura ILX will be recalled, plus CR-Vs for a switch problem and Accord and Insight cars for a software glitch.
bf0918ea-20ea-44fa-bcb1-dfb917fa43fa_1671456721.file
BY LAURA SKY BROWNPUBLISHED: DEC 16, 2020 Car and Driver
American Honda has announced recalls of 430,000 vehicles to check and potentially replace the left and/or right front driveshafts because of salt corrosion. The recall will include the 2007–2014 Honda Fit, the 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid, the 2013 Acura ILX Hybrid, the 2013–2015 Acura ILX, and the 2013–2015 Honda Accord (the 2013 Accord is pictured above). The Accord is under a separate recall from the other vehicles, Honda said.

RECENT HONDA RECALLS​

The automaker said the problem with the driveshafts is "a combination of potentially damaged or incorrectly cured protective coatings during driveshaft assembly and long-term exposure to road salt primarily used in the northeastern United States." If a driveshaft were to break, it could cause the vehicle to lose motive power or to roll while in park if the parking brake is not in use. However, Honda said no accidents or injuries have been reported to date.

A Honda spokesperson told Car and Driver that the Accord is getting its own separate recall because the problems experienced by the Accord are different. "While the ultimate end result may be the same—a corroded and potentially broken driveshaft—the root causes or identified defects behind the corrosion are a bit different, prompting two different recalls," the spokesperson said. "The recall affecting certain 2013–2015 Honda Accords involves chemical damage to the protective coating during driveshaft assembly caused by a lubricant. The recall affecting the other listed models is related to an improper heating process during application of the protective coating, possibly leading to chipping of the paint. In both cases, the metal of the driveshaft can be exposed to road salt, which may, over a long period, cause rust and lead to breakage of the driveshaft."

States where the recalls will take place are Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin, plus the District of Columbia. Recall notices will go out in February, but owners may have to wait until parts are available, Honda said.

The July agreement was followed by a 60-day period for public comment, and the FTC received a two-inch stack of letters from Honda owners pouring out of stream of complaints about rust on fenders and other parts.

Many objected to the FTC-Honda settlement plan, arguing that it didn't cover Hondas from the 1973 and 1974 model years, although these also were vulnerable to the rusting problem, that it failed to include corrosion damage beyond the front fender area, that it provided a cash payment ($150 a fender) that was half the actual repair cost, that it failed to require mailed notices to owners living outside the "salt belt," and that it failed in some cases to cover consumers who purchased used Hondas from original owners.

Just toooooo funny! 🙄

• July 31, 1981
The Federal Trade Commission announced today that the American Honda Motor Company had agreed to repair the prematurely rusted fenders of 1975 to 1978 Honda automobiles or reimburse their owners.
Approximately 700,000 Honda Civic and Accord models sold in the United States are covered by the consent agreement. The problem, which could cost the Japanese automobile manufacturer tens of millions of dollars, resulted from a design flaw that allowed moisture and debris to lodge in the fender.
Once the rust appears, the problem can be cleared up only by replacing the fenders, according to Linda Colvard Dorian, deputy director of the Bureau of Consumer Protection of the Federal Trade Commission. Miss Dorian said that the consumer had to pay $250 a fender, including painting, for such repairs.
In today's agreement, Honda agreed to replace at no charge the front fenders on all 1975 to 1978 Hondas that experienced rusting in the car's first three years. According to the trade commission, Honda corrected the design problem that led to rusting on Honda models produced after 1978, all of which carry a three-year warranty against rust.

The complaint that the commission issued with the consent agreement says that American Honda was aware of the rust problem and failed to tell consumers about the problem or about measures they could take to minimize the damage. Owners in 24 States Involved
If the commission makes the consent decree final after a 60-day period for public comment, the company must write to owners in 24 ''salt-belt'' states and the District of Columbia explaining the replacement program. In a consent decree, a company agrees to take certain actions without acknowledging any wrongdoing.

The salt used to clear snow and ice from roads is the main cause of this particular rust problem. The states involved are Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin.
The restitution program will cover rust on the top of the front fender, within two feet of the windshield. The rust first appears in the form of bubles or blisters in the paint and eventually develops into holes.
If the company fails to complete fender repairs within 180 days after a car's inspection by a dealer, a car owner can obtain cash reimbursement of $150 a fender. Honda owners who have repaired front fenders that rusted in the car's first three years will also be reimbursed for their expense.

Russell B. Daly, product claims manager for American Honda, said that the consent agreement requirements were ''not a surprise.'' ''This is basically a cooperative effort that we jointly worked out,'' he said. American Honda, the importer for Honda cars in the United States, has headquarter in Gardena, Calif.

American Honda Motor Co. said it plans to recall all 1973-1979 Honda cars sold in this country to check for possible rusting of crossbeams and other undercarriage suspension parts. It was the second major recall by Honda this year to deal with corrosion problems.

A Honda spokesman said the recall notices will not be sent to consumers until early next year, to give the company time to supply dealers with a new kind of antirust paint. "We can't even tell the dealers what to do yet," said the spokesman.

Some accidents have occurred because of the corrosion, which has caused breaks in the lateral suspension arms, front crossbeams and strut coil spring lower supports in some cars, but there have been no injuries, the spokesman said. No details on the number of accidents were provided.

The recall will affect 930,000 Hondas in the 1973 through 1979 model years and will cost $20 million, Honda estimates. Based on a survey it conducted earlier this year, about 2 percent of the cars will require "significant" repairs, Honda said. The company hopes that the new antirust treatment will be sufficient in most cases, the spokesman added.

Last July, Honda and the Federal Trade Commission reached a tentative agreement on a recall of Hondas from the 1975 through 1978 model years to compensate owners for severe rust on the top front fenders. The FTC has not yet taken final action on the program, but assuming that the agency stands by the agreement, Honda will issue recall notices asking owners to check with their dealers to determine elibility for repairs, installation of new fenders, or cash settlements.

The latest recall, on suspension parts, is voluntary, but the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said yesterday that it had "influenced" Honda's decision.

Honda said it became aware of the problem in December, following a rust recall by one of Honda's Canadian subsidiaries, and the U.S. organization began an investigation in this country. In August, the NHTSA informed Honda that it was conducting an engineering analysis of the undercarriage rust problem in response to owners' complaints and the Canadian recall.

An NHTSA spokesman said Honda had planned to limit the U.S. recall to cars sold in 15 northern states and the District of Columbia, where salt is widely used in winter to prevent icy roads, because the company blames its rust problem on road salt. The safety agency argued that the recall should be nationwide, and it prevailed, the NHTSA's spokesman said.

Honda wouldn't discuss its contacts with the NHTSA, but said the recall will cover all states "as a precautionary measure."

The NHTSA was involved in the suspension recall because of the potential safety hazard. The FTC's action, on the other hand, was not safety-related. The commission's Bureau of Consumer Protection contended that Honda knew, "or should have known," that its fenders were subject to "premature" rusting, and that it violated federal law by failing to disclose this to customers.

Salt-affected 2007–2015 Accord, Fit, Civic Hybrid, and Acura ILX will be recalled, plus CR-Vs for a switch problem and Accord and Insight cars for a software glitch.
American Honda has announced recalls of 430,000 vehicles to check and potentially replace the left and/or right front driveshafts because of salt corrosion. The recall will include the 2007–2014 Honda Fit, the 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid, the 2013 Acura ILX Hybrid, the 2013–2015 Acura ILX, and the 2013–2015 Honda Accord (the 2013 Accord is pictured above). The Accord is under a separate recall from the other vehicles, Honda said.

RECENT HONDA RECALLS​

The automaker said the problem with the driveshafts is "a combination of potentially damaged or incorrectly cured protective coatings during driveshaft assembly and long-term exposure to road salt primarily used in the northeastern United States." If a driveshaft were to break, it could cause the vehicle to lose motive power or to roll while in park if the parking brake is not in use. However, Honda said no accidents or injuries have been reported to date.

A Honda spokesperson told Car and Driver that the Accord is getting its own separate recall because the problems experienced by the Accord are different. "While the ultimate end result may be the same—a corroded and potentially broken driveshaft—the root causes or identified defects behind the corrosion are a bit different, prompting two different recalls," the spokesperson said. "The recall affecting certain 2013–2015 Honda Accords involves chemical damage to the protective coating during driveshaft assembly caused by a lubricant. The recall affecting the other listed models is related to an improper heating process during application of the protective coating, possibly leading to chipping of the paint. In both cases, the metal of the driveshaft can be exposed to road salt, which may, over a long period, cause rust and lead to breakage of the driveshaft."

States where the recalls will take place are Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin, plus the District of Columbia. Recall notices will go out in February, but owners may have to wait until parts are available, Honda said.

The July agreement was followed by a 60-day period for public comment, and the FTC received a two-inch stack of letters from Honda owners pouring out of stream of complaints about rust on fenders and other parts.

Many objected to the FTC-Honda settlement plan, arguing that it didn't cover Hondas from the 1973 and 1974 model years, although these also were vulnerable to the rusting problem, that it failed to include corrosion damage beyond the front fender area, that it provided a cash payment ($150 a fender) that was half the actual repair cost, that it failed to require mailed notices to owners living outside the "salt belt," and that it failed in some cases to cover consumers who purchased used Hondas from original owners.
I stand behind my impression. I'm sure one could dig up negative articles on any make of car. Especially Italian ones. ;)

negative articles on any make of car.
Absolutely true. Australia has a defects and recall database. And sure enough, ALL cars are "lemons". Even the much lauded Toyota have some appalling issues. Not opinions as to what is good of bad - actual facts. But so what, cars were never meant to be permanent. Nothing in life is. Get over it y'all :)

I stand behind my impression. I'm sure one could dig up negative articles on any make of car. Especially Italian ones. ;)

"I'm sure one could dig up negative articles on any make of car."

That's my point. EVERY car up to about the mid to late '80s rusted like crazy. It's gotten a LOT better, but as long as cars have steel, they'll rust. Unfortunately some like Honda still rust more than others.

"I'm sure one could dig up negative articles on any make of car."

That's my point. EVERY car up to about the mid to late '80s rusted like crazy. It's gotten a LOT better, but as long as cars have steel, they'll rust. Unfortunately some like Honda still rust more than others.
Yes Datsuns did rust like mad. In 1973 my parents bought a new 610 four door (Replacing the 1967 Bluebird 411 wagon we had). It made it through three years of Vermont salt, literally rusting through in innumerable places with the bottom of the fenders flapping due to the bottom fixation failing completely. It was replaced with a 710 which lasted until 1978 when we bought a Ford Fiesta which lasted through teaching three kids to drive and 1983.

Of course the same would have happened to any Fiat which faced this same salt dip.

Cars back then were not known for rust prevention. It is a wonder any of the plebeian cars from the period still exist today. It is why there are almost no 124 sedans, wagons or Sport Coupes as they were used as dailies which literally made them disappear…

Just toooooo funny! 🙄

• July 31, 1981

RECENT HONDA RECALLS​

My Mom got the fenders on her 1977 Honda Accord replaced under that recall.

Back