Selling the X & Bought an 75 Datsun 280Z

OK - so he ignored my request for any kind of proof of ownership & gave me a link for the 'VNKC LLC shipping company" supposedly located in Houlton ME. I'm supposed to register there, then contact him again to initiate the transaction. Anyway, thanks to all the suggestions I googled the street address off the website & there is a waste disposal company at that location. Goggling the company name doesn't bring any hits that are meaningful. None of the social media links lead to online presence for the company. Their "Testimonials" can be found verbatim on another website, which also looks like a scam, NYC address, Ill. area code 708 phone number. The YP link takes you to a listing for VNKC in Billings, MT (!) I did look up another logistics company for shits & giggles, their websites in general seem clunky, however the links are legit, unlike this one.
Buying just the right used car can take some time. I bought a 2002 Audi TT for my wife’s bday last year (unlike her tv statement, she decided the X19 didn’t have enough horsepower for her likes). I started looking in March, and found NEARLY the right car in early July. But that’s because I would only look at cars we could see in person. Good luck with the long-distance thing…

Ah Hussein......give yourself a slap in the face for even considering this...

The old "deployed overseas" scam is right up there with the "my husband died" scam. Dont even consider buying a car that you cannot see in person......

Sadly.....these days the web is full of scams. Even LOTS of websites selling parts that look legit.

The first thing to do these days...if you are suspicious of anything...and you should be...is to enter the website into a scam detection site like this"

Note the vnkc-llc.com website was only created 3 days ago !!!!! with a variety of addresses all over the country......and note the website server is in Lithuania....any alarm bells yet ??

Another popular scam is found on Facebook Marketplace. Actually pretty clever. They will list a car for sale at a great price...and list it "from" a legitimate well known dealer...like from looks like say "Ferrari of Beverly Hills"....a real and respected dealer. Yup...the "Ferrari of Beverly Hill" is legit...with a proper website and known to be reputable. The catch here is that the contact info on the ad.....directs you to the scammer instead.....who directs you to wire money to him......of course he has nothing to do with the real "Ferrari of Beverly Hills". ......

Thanks Doug. I gave myself a good slap. :) I wasn't sure about the 'scam advisor' websites, as those seem to have many popups. I'll look at your link after work. I will move on. I'm waiting for my neighbor to hear from his brother about the one in town.

I have bought 9 cars online remotely over the past three years. All have been legit (knock on wood) but along the way, I talked with many scammers. The tactics and websites you all have been listing are all spot on. When I was looking for a Scorpion, Trovit had plenty of options, but all were either old ads or scams. Crazy how often the gold Scorpion that sold on BAT in 2017 was magically for sale for a great price on several different web sites and still is today! I also talked with a guy who was working in Europe now, who had a car at a great price, all I had to do was send the money to his escrow site, and I could get the car shipped to me and return it if I did not like it. Of course, I could not have my son go look at it out in Seattle as that was not possible.....

For real cars with real owners, remote purchases can work out, but you have to do a ton of research, get the VINS, go see what has been said about the cars in the past (crazy how often classic car owners talk about their cars, who knew?) and you can often be able to verify the owner by these conversations and more often, see the history of the work they have done. My TR8 was purchased sight unseen from New Mexico, car was exactly as described and in the pictures and the owner was stand up guy, but I had many calls with him and eventually had the car inspected by the TR8 Car Club president. My red scorpion was inspected by my son, before I sent the money. Facebook Marketplace has been a good source, as the groups police themselves and members call out obvious scams for the most part. My X1/9 came from Connecticut via FB, the seller was a great guy, car was as described and now is in Carl's collection. MR2 was purchased without any inspection based on the photos for $800, car was rust free as described and even was a runner once I fixed the timing issue. I got three GT6's from New Mexico for 5K delivered to my home. One was partially restored and rust free, one was a rust free desert survivor (complete with tumbleweeds) and one was rusty example that had been driven all over including to the 2000 VTR National convention (the medallion from the event was under the seat). Google searches of the VINS, found much of the history, confirmed the previous owner had passed away and that all was purchased at an estate sale as the seller had told me. I sold two of the cars and kept the desert survivor for a future restoration.

Bottom line is it seems too good to be true, then you have to do your homework, but good deals are out there to be had, but there are just as many scammers looking to take advantage of those of us looking to get a deal.

Last edited:
This is another option - it's in MD. A fellow Volvo owner has had it for many years, just hasn't gotten to work on it. Body is stored inside. It's a complete all over project though. Everything is stripped, and will come with many extra bits. I can get everything for under 3K, he just wants to see it go to a good home. I'm just not sure I want that level of project, I'd rather have something I can drive first.
screenshot-www.instagram.com-2023.02.17-11_17_58.png

For my money, that is the one I would buy. A nicer car is probably hiding a bunch of things under the paint. At least with this one, you know exactly what you are getting. You really can't go wrong at 3K, especially if it comes with all the missing parts. Which model and which year, hard to tell if 240-260 or 280z without the bumpers

I have bought 9 cars online remotely over the past three years. All have been legit (knock on wood) but along the way, I talked with many scammers. The tactics and websites you all have been listing are all spot on. When I was looking for a Scorpion, Trovit had plenty of options, but all were either old ads or scams. Crazy how often the gold Scorpion that sold on BAT in 2017 was magically for sale for a great price on several different web sites and still is today! I also talked with a guy who was working in Europe now, who had a car at a great price, all I had to do was send the money to his escrow site, and I could get the car shipped to me and return it if I did not like it. Of course, I could not have my son go look at it out in Seattle as that was not possible.....

For real cars with real owners, remote purchases can work out, but you have to do a ton of research, get the VINS, go see what has been said about the cars in the past (crazy how often classic car owners talk about their cars, who knew?) and you can often be able to verify the owner by these conversations and more often, see the history of the work they have done. My TR8 was purchased sight unseen from New Mexico, car was exactly as described and in the pictures and the owner was stand up guy, but I had many calls with him and eventually had the car inspected by the TR8 Car Club president. My red scorpion was inspected by my son, before I sent the money. Facebook Marketplace has been a good source, as the groups police themselves and members call out obvious scams for the most part. My X1/9 came from Connecticut via FB, the seller was a great guy, car was as described and now is in Carl's collection. MR2 was purchased without any inspection based on the photos for $800, car was rust free as described and even was a runner once I fixed the timing issue. I got three GT6's from New Mexico for 5K delivered to my home. One was partially restored and rust free, one was a rust free desert survivor (complete with tumbleweeds) and one was rusty example that had been driven all over including to the 2000 VTR National convention (the medallion from the event was under the seat). Google searches of the VINS, found much of the history, confirmed the previous owner had passed away and that all was purchased at an estate sale as the seller had told me. I sold two of the cars and kept the desert survivor for a future restoration.

Bottom line is it seems too good to be true, then you have to do your homework, but good deals are out there to be had, but there are just as many scammers looking to take advantage of those of us looking to get a deal.

Were any of them shipped across country? Curious what kind of costs are involved for that.

All were shipped, open trailer so they want to fill up a truck and then bring it when they come across the US. I live in MD so the cars shipped from the Seattle area were in the $1,200 range to ship. I used Mercury Auto Transport who basically finds a shipper for a particular load. Been working fine, takes about two weeks for them to find a truck. Probably more expensive now due to inflation, but has worked out for me. Inoperative cars cost a little more as there is more work to be done by the shipper

I'm with dherr. I'd get that MD one as you would know what you are getting. Given your obvious level of skills you could get this back in shape on your own. The kicker is making sure all the parts are there and that would be easy enough to verify with some eyeballs on the car.

This is another option - it's in MD. A fellow Volvo owner has had it for many years, just hasn't gotten to work on it. Body is stored inside. It's a complete all over project though. Everything is stripped, and will come with many extra bits. I can get everything for under 3K, he just wants to see it go to a good home. I'm just not sure I want that level of project, I'd rather have something I can drive first.View attachment 70724
I understand and concur with what you really want but at the same time having something I know hasn’t been effed with (I want to be the effer…) as I have seen way too many yecch repairs. This looks like you :)

I think the base issue is you need to drive a couple of these to see if it actually is to your taste. The work is definitely your wheelhouse. It being like this actually is to your advantage.

Cars are like my houses I like them original, I like to buy from dead people.

For my money, that is the one I would buy. A nicer car is probably hiding a bunch of things under the paint. At least with this one, you know exactly what you are getting. You really can't go wrong at 3K, especially if it comes with all the missing parts. Which model and which year, hard to tell if 240-260 or 280z without the bumpers

He says it's a 260Z, which I don't think means much if there is no drivetrain installed. I think that was one year only in the US? I need to confirm he has a title. Getting a salvage title in NY is hell, I did that once, never again if I can help it.

He says it's a 260Z, which I don't think means much if there is no drivetrain installed. I think that was one year only in the US? I need to confirm he has a title. Getting a salvage title in NY is hell, I did that once, never again if I can help it.
You can tell it is a 260 or 280 by the bumper rams. The 240s all had rigidly mounted smaller chrome bumpers.

Functionally there is very little difference between the 280 and 260, it’s all around the engine and emission controls and of course the 5mph bumpers over 240. The 280 gave you more displacement and your favorite friend Bosch L Jetronic fuel injection.

260's were not as popular as the emissions stuff kind of hurt them but does not matter now and Datsun fixed it with the larger engine and fuel injection of the 280Z. I would go see if you can find one to drive just to be sure, but they are quite fun. The long hood, seating position and the torque from that big inline 6 was really something and I have a lot of great memories of driving my 280Z.

Hmm I deleted an edit.

You can tell it’s a 260Z by the rams but more so by the bumper trims which had them adjust the front and rear fenders. You will want to ensure the parts are there as the bumpers are that year only. They are sort of nice compared to the 280Z bumper trims to me, more complex but better forms. I know some hate bumpers but they are part of the design of cars of this time, a more graceful one is worth having in my mind. I could do without the black over riders.

The other advantage (and disadvantage) is due to the bumper regs of 74 they beefed up parts of the body to make it stronger and stiffer which benefits handling, unfortunately it also added weight.

‘74 260Z
7388DC05-F046-408D-8E96-F718FCB61FD6.jpeg

75 280Z
1E54AE3E-7190-4781-B165-6B7FA7B4F17D.jpeg

Thanks Karl. The 280Z bumpers are for the birds, I'd get rid of them if I end up with one. This one, I don't know what he has in the way of bumpers. He's trying to figure out if he has a title - not much I can do with it in NY without one. I've already been down the road with salvage titles in NY - it's not worth the trouble. The car has to be inspected at the ONE and ONLY DOT facility in Westchester, and all body parts have to have receipts with the VIN of the vehicle from which they were removed...

I found a useful site you might use to keep track of what’s for sale, what has sold and general trends:

https://www.classic.com/m/nissan/z-car/s30/240z/ 11 for sale
https://www.classic.com/m/nissan/z-car/s30/260z/ 2 for sale
https://www.classic.com/m/nissan/z-car/s30/280z/ 15 for sale

Some good data here and you can easily find some of the cars on these ‘broker’ sites and the car’s most recent sale which these scammers seem to purloin info from.

This has become a fraught process with people who are treating cars as investment ’vehicles’ as it were.

I will search around for some more info to try and help.

Seeing what you did with your X this seems like the perfect car for you. Having it stripped down is like a blank piece of paper to start with and the price is right.

All I can tell from that pic is it's not an early 240... The 240's had little vents at the lower corners of the rear window/hatch... Still, 3000 is a pretty good price if it's straight and not rusty.. You have to remember that, unlike Toyota's (and even Fiats) Datsuns are essentially made out of tin foil... If you lean on it in the wrong place you'll dent it... The thin sheet metal doesn't take long to rust through . A 73 Corolla weighs 1,000 lbs (yes 1,000 lbs) more than a Datsun 1200, a car that's the same size! Toyota's got nice twin cam engines but Datsuns are light!😁

Last edited:
I've settled on a 75 280Z that is running condition. I decided I wanted something that could driven as it is, while I figure out a plan.

It's on Hemmings. He has sent me a bunch of additional pics I requested. Older (than me) gent, I spoke with him at length about the car this afternoon.

At Karl's wise suggestion I'm asking if there is anyone on here in the vicinity, it wouldn't hurt to have a first hand opinion.. it's in Madera County, I can request the address. That said, I have made an offer he said he would be comfortable with. Mercury Transport quote is around $1600. Waiting for a response from National Transport Services (linked on the Hemmings site)

91079058.jpg
91079021.jpg
91079090.jpg

Last edited:
Love the color, engine bay looks honest , seems clean. The 75 is a great choice IMHO (not just cuz I own 1). You get fuel injection, the bigger motor & the later you go they get uglier. I don't like the vented hoods. The bumpers, well we all know what happens here. I do prefer the earlier bumpers though. I had to look the car up & if you got it for less than asking, you can't lose.

Back