SerpentAuto Spoiler Install

lookforjoe

True Classic
Been playing with the fitment of the spoiler over the past several days - made support brackets

IMG_7405.jpg

IMG_7406.jpg

So I could bolt it up & check the side panels for fit. I had to dent the fenders...

X19Spoiler0003.jpg

X19Spoiler0004.jpg

.. to get the spoiler to align with the wheel arches. It was that, or cut off the fender below the crease line.

Added an extra brace to the lower rear corner on both sides

X19Spoiler0006.jpg

X19Spoiler0005.jpg

Had to trim/feather the upper edges of the spoiler to get it close to the existing fender crease - the spoiler has plenty of meat, so that was not an issue

X19Spoiler0010.jpg

X19Spoiler0011.jpg

X19Spoiler0013.jpg

X19Spoiler0007.jpg

The fit was better on the pass side, I was able to get it snug under the indicator relief panel & nicely wrapped around the corner to the wheel arch. On the driver's side, even with cutting some material, I was unable to get a tight fit under the indicator

X19Spoiler0009.jpg

fibreglass/filler will be needed to mate it with the body in that section

ran screws through into the fender to secure placement of the spoiler along the fender while the SEM Weldbond adhesive cures.

X19Spoiler0008.jpg

X19Spoiler0012.jpg

next step will be some filler to taper the fender/spoiler join nicely.

Well... I can see you had to struggle with this one...

... and I'm sure when its blended in it will indeed look presentable from the outside. Its knowing what's underneath, although structurely OK, that still tends to bother me. I also know that there are some Dallara kits that have been installed in similar manners. I think I would have gone back and cut off the intruding panels before affixing the spoiler permanently. But that is neither here nor there.

I still lean towards the BEFORE concept for its simplicity... but I know this project is to your liking and at least its not consuming valuable Volvo parts!

HA!

Keep us posted as to your progress...

Last edited:
I think I would have gone back and cut off the intruding panels before affixing the spoiler permanently. But that is neither here nor there.

I still lean towards the BEFORE concept for its simplicity... but I know this project is to your liking and at least its not consuming valuable Volvo parts!

I deliberated over that for some time (cutting the fenders off), and decided not to, because... if I really want to, I can readily cut off the spoiler, bang out the dents & return to stock(ish) look.

I'm not done yet.... may have to fit some Volvo driving lights, now that I have the real estate to properly recess them into... :grin:

Aftermarket flairs are a b***h

Even the best ones are a LOT OF WORK. They never fit. I have done hundreds and they are never what you think they will be. The only ones that are reliable are the factory kits.
With that said it looks like you are up to the task. Good job. Keep up the work and you can make it perfect. Of course if you do you will need to upgrade with a serious bumper.

Bob

Even the best ones are a LOT OF WORK. They never fit. I have done hundreds and they are never what you think they will be. The only ones that are reliable are the factory kits.
With that said it looks like you are up to the task. Good job. Keep up the work and you can make it perfect. Of course if you do you will need to upgrade with a serious bumper.

Bob

I have one of these bumpers in the works- :grin:

OR02-4.jpg

There's enough 'meat' in the end caps to do so? I haven't cut the bumpers down yet - they're still double rail...

Bumper explanation

I don't know about the length of the rails, just making a comment. My only experience is with early and late bumpers.
Bob

Progress Pics (many)....

Worked on the filler over the past few days on & off. Today I worked on refining the transition from wheel arch to spoiler, fender tip into spoiler and small imperfections.

X19Spoiler0014.jpg

X19Spoiler0015.jpg

X19Spoiler0016.jpg

X19Spoiler0017.jpg

sand & prime again..

X19Spoiler0018.jpg

X19Spoiler0019.jpg

fill, sand & prime again...

X19Spoiler0020.jpg

X19Spoiler0021.jpg

X19Spoiler0022.jpg

X19Spoiler0023.jpg

Some top coat...

...to check overall fit & finnish

arch transition looks acceptable to me

X19Spoiler0024.jpg

X19Spoiler0025.jpg

X19Spoiler0028.jpg

X19Spoiler0029.jpg

X19Spoiler0031.jpg

bottom edge will be black to match black rockers

X19Spoiler0034.jpg

X19Spoiler0037.jpg

X19Spoiler0038.jpg

X19Spoiler0039.jpg

Great Job!

While I prefer the skinny nose look, You are quite talented and doing an awesome job!

Are those Action Team center caps?

Michael

Not feeling the white bottom. Can you try it out in with the bottom of the spoiler in black? Or Red? Just Curious...

Very impress!!

You are very talented!
Surely I'll keep on mind this post
(I have a couple dents on my front fender FOR YEARS!!:eek:mg:)

Hussein outstanding results!!!

Now I can't wait for yur new REAL bumper mod results...lose the PVC please especially with yur skills :sun:

JJ check out his rockers the man knows what he is doing :grin:

Back