Setting the Loli Pop

Stoney#1

Stoney
Is there a trick to setting the connector for the shift rod to transmission? All was fine when I removed the engine. I replaced the connector with a new one from MWB. Both appeared identical. Today when I tried to back it out of garage I had one heck of a time getting it into reverse.
This is on 82 X with 5 speed trans
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Stoney

As long as you got the ‘sandwich’ of plates and linkage in the correct order, position the gear lever exactly vertical in the middle of the gate and then tighten up the bolts it should be ok....get somebody to hold the stick while you tighten up the bolts.

Is there a trick to setting the connector for the shift rod to transmission? All was fine when I removed the engine. I replaced the connector with a new one from MWB. Both appeared identical. Today when I tried to back it out of garage I had one heck of a time getting it into reverse.
This is on 82 X with 5 speed trans
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Stoney
Stoney#1,
It was tricky for me too. All I did was put the bolts back in but loose and with my fingers I gently wiggled the connector and shift rod back and forth about 1 to 1.5 inches but let them go back to center naturally. Then tightened the bolts. It took awhile to get the feel where actual center was and where the connector naturally settled.
I really hope that this makes sense. To me it makes sense but I always reason things out with myself better than conveying it back in a discernible language.
My issue was second and reverse gears until I got it right.
Mike

Recently there has been a couple threads with some helpful tips on how to get everything properly adjusted. The links below are a portion of those threads, but I think there are others. The problem is this kind if information is usually within a discussion that bears a non-related title, so it is very difficult to find. But I think these will help address your issue.

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-little-red-car-wont-crawfish.36634/#post-319876

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/cant-find-reverse-or-fifth-gear.36900/

I thought that I would replace the "loli Pop" on my '78 X. No matter what I tried it would not play for me. I bolted the old one back in and there were no problems at all. I have a slightly used "loli pop" on my parts shelf :)

Last edited:
Back