Silly question - luggage rack attachment

kareembadr

Daily Driver
How did the luggage rack attach to the trunk lid of the X 1/9? The luggage rack was an optional item, and I see a lot of trunk lids that don't have bolts or studs the rack would attach to. So did installation of the luggage rack involve drilling holes into the trunk lid?

(I've got an X 1/9 on the way that unfortunately has a luggage rack, and I'd like to remove it if it's trivial and won't leave behind awkward-looking holes in the trunk lid)

Last edited:
How did the luggage rack attach to the trunk lid of the X 1/9? The luggage rack was an optional item, and I see a lot of trunk lids that don't have bolts or studs the rack would attach to. So did installation of the luggage rack involve drilling holes into the trunk lid?

(I've got an X 1/9 on the way that unfortunately has a luggage rack, and I'd like to remove it if it's trivial and won't leave behind awkward-looking holes in the trunk lid)
Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, once you remove the luggage rack you will find holes in the trunk lid. I can half way understand putting a luggage rack on a Spider, but I always thought it looked out of place on the X1/9.

You can ask MWB if they have an unmolested replacement trunk lid in your color. They only have 2 listed on the site, but I can almost guarantee they have more in inventory.

Welcome to Xweb!

You can ask MWB if they have an unmolested replacement trunk lid in your color. They only have 2 listed on the site, but I can almost guarantee they have more in inventory.
Thank you! I'll shoot them an email. And I've already gathered that I will probably become well-acquainted with that website...

Welcome to Xweb!
Thank you! I'll likely be back asking newbie questions once my X 1/9 arrives. Be gentle :)

Yes, welcome.

I bought one X that was previously equipped with the luggage rack. The rack was missing when I got the car but apparently that's because someone stole it. I say that due to the four holes in the lid being ripped apart and some of the original mounting hardware sitting inside the rear trunk (below the locked lid). :mad:

Holes can be patched but I did as @JimD suggested and just replaced the entire lid with a good one.

Yes, welcome.

I bought one X that was previously equipped with the luggage rack. The rack was missing when I got the car but apparently that's because someone stole it. I say that due to the four holes in the lid being ripped apart and some of the original mounting hardware sitting inside the rear trunk (below the locked lid). :mad:

Holes can be patched but I did as @JimD suggested and just replaced the entire lid with a good one.
Sounds like the guy who took the rack was not only a thief, but had very bad taste as well!

? would it look terrible to just put carriage bolts into the holes? crome or paint to match?
yes, yes it would :) But there are plenty of black rubber grommets and plugs around. I used some for a similar problem on my AW11 - that ludicrous rear spoiler is stored and the hole are plugged. If some future owner wants it back, well, who am I to stand in the way of their taste....

My ‘75 has a removable rack with knurled knobs. Not horrible but the dealer had to make additional profit somewhere.

Attachments

• CB9C4EDA-C603-4190-81C3-EA22FC3452D1.jpeg
    CB9C4EDA-C603-4190-81C3-EA22FC3452D1.jpeg
    511.8 KB · Views: 37
I realize not everyone here will agree with me on this, but I do not consider the X to be a good vehicle choice for traveling any distance that requires luggage. Or for that matter, any use that requires anything put in either trunk (other than the targa top). :)

I realize not everyone here will agree with me on this, but I do not consider the X to be a good vehicle choice for traveling any distance that requires luggage. Or for that matter, any use that requires anything put in either trunk (other than the targa top). :)
I disagree, but then, my idea of luggage is a credit card

My recent spider came with four holes in the trunk lid and four black plastic caps popped in the hole. Replacement trunk lid or fixing the holes is the proper solution but I have never been known for that kind of thinking. If your spider or X was repainted some non factory color ten years ago you will never get either solution to look proper.

Anyone who ever toured on a motorcycle will find even an X has generous storage space.....a Miata not so much!

Well, my X has a luggage rack with the knobs so it can be removed. Once removed the knobs are replaced and it is not particularly noticeable. The thing is I have used that rack for so many things over the years, including large boxes and suit case on airport trips that wouldn't fit in the trunk(s) that I am keeping it. Yes, drilled holes, but again no big problem as I see it.

IIRC the AMCO luggage rack was considered the high end choice, I think that's the one where the mounting system included the knurled knobs (hey, two "kn" words in a row!) to make it removeable.

I was just searching for the AMCO brochure, I thought I had a copy on my computer but I guess not. Anyone have an image that they can post?

Last edited:
Back