Snorkel for intercooler?

mkmini, how do you exhaust air through the radiator do you prop open the rear trunk lid or have vents on the tail light panel?

From the standpoint of making the poor water pump more efficient, placing the radiator closer to the engine makes much more sense. Few if any folks with 128s complain about cooling issues as the hoses from the rad to the motor are pretty short.

mkmini, how do you exhaust air through the radiator do you prop open the rear trunk lid or have vents on the tail light panel?

From the standpoint of making the poor water pump more efficient, placing the radiator closer to the engine makes much more sense. Few if any folks with 128s complain about cooling issues as the hoses from the rad to the motor are pretty short.

Both rear lids are too rusty to get me motivated to repair them. There will be one-piece lid for enginebay and trunk together from aluminium so I could more easily play with vents there.
Tail panel will be stock at least for a while.

A bit about weight I have added or lost on X19.
Front:
-big bumper delete
-a bit lighter popupmotors
-pipes for radiator to the front
-radiator
-plastic grill ~0,5kg :D (nose panel that I added is same that deleted to increase frunk)
*- planned to make front lid from fiberglass or aluminum in future
+small bumpers ar planned
*+considering to add LPG system, so another tank in the front could be in the future, this point is not worth discussing yet
+no doubt that in the front always will be boxes of tools

middle
-considering to make dasboard from aluminium plate in the future
-centre console from aluminium plate

rear:
+turbo
-AFM
+IC
+radiator
-lighter lid
-trunk floor and wall between engine bay delete
-no tools or anything in the rear trunk
-smaller body corners on bottom
-10l delete from gas tank because of rust :D, (may visit Henk Martens in summer to add them back)
-big bumper
-grill
+a bit heavier muffler than stock
-valance or how it is called
+small bumpers are planned

In details of added or lost weight could speak later in another thread.

The rear trunk lid and engine cover are actually very heavy, so replacing them may make a big difference.

I would not worry too much about a couple pounds (kilos) weight at one end or the other unless you are building a true race car with a lot of suspension/handling upgrades. Sure it might make a slight difference under certain conditions of aggressive driving, but not for everyday driving around.

I understand LPG is popular in many parts of Europe; due to the very high cost of petrol, LPG is less expensive to run there.

When I made the one piece engine/boot cover for my car I used a lot of the frame and rear lip of the rear boot/trunk to give me the correct curves, it's not as flat as it looks. You can then also use the original boot lock. The frame on my boot lid was okay, it was the skin that was in poor condition. A bit fiddly to separate but worth it .

Back