So what do you all think of Fiat 128 Coupes?

Haven't bought it quite yet but it is mine fir the taking.

If for some reason I do not I will connect you and help you get it done.

If you buy the car, definitely try to get it running so you will know what works and what might need replacing such as exhaust, alternator, fuel supply, cooling system, etc. Unless you have a receipt that shows recent change, plan on replacing the timing belt.

Thanks Carl. I've found actual use will result in the car suggesting what needs attention. Grin.

This car had a top end refresh within the last 500 miles, so need to check but likely the belt is good. Are these interference engines?

Just a quick update that I am going to pass on this car, but I'm happy to connect anyone who's interested with the seller and spend some time on the phone to provide backdrop.

I misunderstood what Hagerty requires as far as storage goes, so I am out of space and thus cannot insure it with them so I cannot buy it at this point.

I very much appreciate the discussion and coaching that everyone provided-thank you!

I had a fast ride on a twisty road in a 1300 SL when it was new. I knew the road well myself, and was impressed by the speed the SL could carry through the corners. Also had a ride on the same road, same driver in a 1.8L Porsche 914. No, the SL couldn't keep up with the 914, but it made much nicer sounds doing so. 8 D

While I have decided not to pursue the car that originally prompted this conversation, it has been fun reading about people's experiences with them. It is noteworthy that everyone's remembrances are positive and they walked away impressed with the car. Definitely an underrated classic.

Best wishes for a happy new year, and thank you again for all of the help and coaching on this car and my '74 X1/9

I know the conversion from 1300 to 1500 motor is fairly simple. You use the 128 oil pan, pump and return pipe, flywheel and starter an it bolts right in. All the 1300 ancillaries such as distributor, intake and exhaust bolt right on even if the 1500 was originally fuel injected. I don't know if conversion from 1100 to 1500 is the same.
Can you not change the oil pump and leave the x pan? I know this is an old chat. I’m just asking for myself

you can use an X19 alloy sump on a 128, but you need to also use the X19 pump pickup, as the angles are the same and the pickup will sit level in the bottom of the sump...

of course this will have the bottom of the X19 pan sitting lower and not quite level to the ground, but that's not a problem... the issue is matching the pan and pickup together...and of course the x19 dipstick too so the level reads correctly

inlet manifold needs to be changed so the carby will sit level
flyheeel and 180mm clutch and four speed satrter motor required to fit the four speed transmission in the 128

SteveC

you can use an X19 alloy sump on a 128, but you need to also use the X19 pump pickup, as the angles are the same and the pickup will sit level in the bottom of the sump...

of course this will have the bottom of the X19 pan sitting lower and not quite level to the ground, but that's not a problem... the issue is matching the pan and pickup together...and of course the x19 dipstick too so the level reads correctly

flyheeel and 180mm clutch and four speed satrter motor required to fit the four speed transmission in the 128

SteveC
I just happened to do this, on accident. Put the engine in the 128 with the X pan on it for moving it. I have to tell you, it sits real low. Pretty much anything in the way will take out the pan. Not a good idea at all if you plan to actually drive it this way.

I've had an X19 pan and oil pump pickup on my 128 sedan for maybe 20 years. The sedan rides on 128 coupe springing so is considerably lower than stock, and I have never had a problem or hit anything with the alloy sump.

SteveC

SteveC
Yes but I can’t have the x19 oil pick up because the x19 engine is going in a 128. I have already changed my oil pick up from my old 128 engine so the angle is correct but I have left the x19 pan. Does the difference in the angle of the pump and the pan really have a bad effect?

Great discussion and information, thank you.

Anyone every drive on of these and a Mini to compare the two?
I have a 128 sedan and 2 classic Mini's.. The only similarity is that they're both front wheel drive, and disc front rear drum brakes. They are both fun to drive but their personalities are pretty different. Nothing really handles quite like a Real Mini, (a BMW is not a Mini) it will always put a grin on your face. That being said, The 128 will scream though the canyons also, once a few mods are made. You really can't go wrong with either. I will say, the aftermarket for Mini parts is far and away superior to the Fiat. You can even still buy a brand new bodyshell for a mini....(Sadly, the only pic I had of my Mini on my phone is just of the engine...)

Attachments

• IMG_20151206_144314_223~3.jpg
    IMG_20151206_144314_223~3.jpg
    576.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20170704_170537293~2.jpg
    IMG_20170704_170537293~2.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20160403_130110_731.jpg
    IMG_20160403_130110_731.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 58
Back