SoCal Southern Scenic Drive & BBQ

mbusman

Big Bird
Save the date – Saturday, September 15th.

Based on suggestions from JJ and Rudy, we’re starting to plan the next event closer to folks in the O.C. and further south and east. For those up north in the Valley and further, we’d like suggestions for another event later in the year, perhaps, Angeles Crest Hwy. or something similar. That way we can "share the wealth" I realize the southern drive could be a bit of a trip just to arrive at the meeting point.

There are still a lot of details to work out, but basically the plan is to meet in Lake Elsinore and take Hwy. 74/Ortega Highway down to San Juan Capistrano. The drive on Ortega Hwy. looks like it’s about 33 miles, with a lot of turns and curves. I’ve never driven it, but it looks like it winds through the mountains.

In San Juan Capistrano, we’ll find a place to “reconvene” per Rudy, and head over to Pines Park in nearby Dana Point for the BBQ. The park is right near the ocean and Rudy is checking out facilities.

Although we aren’t planning a stop for anything like the light house or museum last time, for those interested, there’s the old Spanish Mission San Juan Capistrano. If you’ve never been there, it’s very pretty and interesting. You might consider a stop after the BBQ or after the drive while we get the BBQ going at the park.

More details to come as we get the planning going.

Mike

OOPS I will be out of town on this day. I will take a rain check. Maybe I will get another Jack Ass award...:wall:

Jeff,

For $2k/night, not only should they include breakfast, wi-fi, a chocolate on the pillow at night, you better hope you get lucky:devil:
Mike

I've been to the area years ago.

Did you notice they also have another resort in Jerry Sandusky, OH?:drink:

Mike

Excellent drive, but

There's a lot of radar speed traps and it is patrolled regularly, definetely great drive; do we have a CHP member in this forum that can pace the run? I certainly do no need another tix, Haha!
May be next time we can consider Highway 150, between Sta Paula and Carpenteria, Oh what a run, hardly patrolled, with many long stretches and lots of rewarding curves; specially around Ojai, Lake Casitas and Carpenteria. Maaaan!

Julio,

I took 2 semesters of business law back around 1974. That should be good enough to get you out of any tickets you might pick up.:drink:

Mike

Further Event Details

This was also emailed to everyone on Papa Tony's list of SoCal X 1/9 owners.

Guys,

I’ve been working with Rudy on meeting place and drive directions. Let’s plan to meet on Saturday 9/15 about 10:30 a.m. in order to leave about 11:00 a.m. Hopefully, it won’t be too hot yet at that hour.

Directions to meeting location:
  • Take 15 freeway south to Collier Ave. exit in Lake Elsinore
  • Right on Pierce St.
  • Left into parking lot of the AM/PM gas station and what appears to be a Dairy Queen for the meeting location. This should allow folks to take a leak, get a coffee/soda/snack.
  • Leave AM/PM and head left on Collier Ave. to route 74 (Riverside Dr. which later becomes Ortega Hwy.)
  • Take Ortega Hwy. through mountain route to San Juan Capistrano, about 33 miles
  • Since Rudy knows the route, we should probably have him be the lead car. I can bring up the rear to make sure everyone gets to our “reconvene point” in San Juan Capistrano.
San Juan Capistrano break and route to park:
  • It looks like there is a Jack In The Box/Taco Bell near the intersection of Ortega Hwy. and Del Obispo Street (address is 26942 Ortega Hwy., San Juan Capistrano). This should be a good place for the group to catch up and make a pit stop before heading to the park.
  • Get onto 5 freeway south.
  • Take exit 78 for Camino del Estrella
  • Turn right onto Camino del Estrella, .3 mi.
  • Turn right onto Calle Hermosa, .2 mi
  • Turn left toward Camino Capistrano, 56 feet
  • Turn right at Camino Capistrano, 66 feet
  • Continue to Pines Park on left, .2 mi., (address is 34941 Camino Capistrano, Dana Point)
  • For the drive to the park, we should also have Rudy be the lead car.
We’ll start asking about head count later.

Mike

Hahaha!

Mike,
You missed your calling, you should have become a comedian or a bartender dude!
I just drove over 30 miles of uphill, downhill, sidehills, curves and curves and curves over the hills of Glendora didn't even hit L.A. crest hwy; there's a picnic area near the Azusa basin at the bottom and if in need of a splash, there's the cool cristaline waters of the creek ponds. This ride deserves your attention guys! Not apt for the faint hearted! I kid you not!
And for those gold prospectors, bring your kit and find some ore!

Julio,

Maybe we can do that for the next event or the next after that.

Way back in the early 70's I did work as a bartender during the summer and school year. Compared to the stress of Corporate America now, it was probably the best job I ever had.
Mike

We're still on target

for the Sept. 15th. event.

I distributed maps and driving directions to everyone on Tony's list of SoCal X owners earlier this morning. If there's anyone here who would like the information, just PM me with your email address.

Mike

Sept. 15th. Group Event-SoCal

Forget all the other posted events. This is the one to get personal belly dancing lessons from Tony.

Don't forget to mark you calendars.

Mike

Interesting news... I was at cars and coffee this morning and they dont have the even on the 15th like they usually do. On this particular day they have invited everyone out to Ortega Highway for an event... Not sure how this will incorporate or disrupt you guys but its interesting. This could be an excuse to invite all the family and kids....

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg

Jeff,

They start at 6:30 a.m. Although I could probably make it, I doubt any of our "family" could.

If you know any of the big wheels with cars & coffee and would like to transmit our plans and schedule, along with an RSVP, that would be good to know in terms of planning how to feed the head count.

Thanks.

Mike

Mike my point is that this event is an all day event and you guys may run into a caravan of several hundred exotic cars on the way down the canyon.....

Mike - we should seriously consider this. Cars & Coffee is enormous and they are not all "classics". Some of these cars are straight off the showroom floor with something to prove. It could also be interesting to see the diversity out there, but I'd rather peer over it in a parking lot for a few seconds and move on rather than be stuck behind something for 30+ miles.

Rudy,

I'll pose the same question(s) in the email you just sent a little while ago.

From the flyer JJ posted, it looks like they're starting out from the southern end. Is it possible they'll just be heading north while we go south, or do you think they'll be going both directions??

Not knowing Ortega Hwy. yet, if there is a caravan going our direction, will it be possible to pass, or is it single lane??

If there is a caravan, do you think they'll be going along slowly or moving at a decent speed?

Mike

Back