SoCal Southern Scenic Drive & BBQ

Last chance to R.S.V.P.

for the group event on Sept. 15th. Anyone who is interested and who hasn't chimed in yet, please do so by end of the day tomorrow (Friday). We need a final head count in order to plan the food shopping.

Regarding the Cars & Coffee folks, it might slow down the drive a bit, but should also offer the opportunity for some great views.

Mike

Sounds like you guys will have some fun. How many folks confirmed Mike? I bet you have over 10 for sure.. Jeff

Jeff,

Head count currently stands at 9 cars. Maybe add a few extra folks for wives/girl friends/dates/stuffed white sheep dogs or yellow birds.

Unfortunately, due to work and vacation schedules, the summer didn't work out for a group event. This will probably be the last time we get together before Best of France & Italy.

Mike

Ricardo, George, Anthony G, Julio, etc.

We haven't heard nada from you guys about Saturday. Are y'all going to get up off your lazy backsides and join us or are your going to spend the day playing video games???

Do I have to entice you with promises of caipirinhas????/

Mike

Hey Mike looks like tomorrow could be the hottest day in the history of the world. Dana Point alone (where we are BBQ'ing) is expected to be 100 - at the beach! Unreal. Hope our little cars will stay cool.

HOT-HOT-HOT... but what a DAY!

Today was our Ortega Highway run to Dana Point Pines Park.

I elected to meet the guys at the park as 100 miles of I-5 "twisties" was enough "fun" for this old man in 106 degree heat!

Speaking of which... I posted this foto in the Workshop Forum as well. Old Black Tooth held at 190 all day long and the fans only ran when stopped for 20 minutes in traffic, and cycled 3 times for a few minutes apiece.

Here are some of the "twisties" I spoke of. This shot is mostly for Damon Kane who likes to map out his runs for me. Note the transition LEFT and then a HARD right about 1/4 mile ahead... HAHAHAHA~!

This is where we kinda hit the binders in NORWALK for about 20 minutes and 5 miles. Then I spotted this Termite Coach that kept me entertained.

His fellow traveler in the '54 Belair with a '56 color scheme was just as interesting. The '46 Woodie obviously was well air conditioned... the '54 was not... Wish you could have seen the wheel better though... 4 wheel disc brakes and a polished suspension all around on this beauty.

Found this BADDDD '36 just ahead...

Met up with the guys, 6 cars total and 10 folks altogether braved the heat to find this great little park amongst a neighborhood of homes "to die for"... Probably the COOLEST spot in the whole state as well as the park was below street level surrounded by trees and a valley that opened up to the ocean below.

Mr. and Mrs. Mortero... (Rudy and Teresa) and Rudy's resurrected ride.
He just installed a set of Ricardo Borja's Fiberglass Bumper Blades and overriders front and rear. Looks great along with a new front spoiler as well. He will fill all the holes and repainting soon. The interior is all black (and beautiful) so its any color he WANTS!

The rear bumpers... I suggested he look at eliminating the overriders and he will consider that. The quality of the parts are great... and may actually protect the car just as well as the originals! I'm always impressed with Ricardo's work but this feature was quite unexpected.

Ed DeCarbo's car... with all the trimmings.

Ed's "shoddy" interior...

and "shoddy" Ed hisself! Ed made up a bunch of T Shirts, one of which HE is wearing here... to commemorate the event. I think he actually had Merkel Weiss convinced he bought it at a shop along the highway in Lake Elsinore... HA!

Alvon and Maureen Elrod's Spider... That's Alvon (The Ventura Ace) hiding behind the trunk lid...

a look at Alvon's "shoddy" engine...

with matching "shoddy" interior...

and this "shoddy" guy PLAGERIZING all of Alvon's hard work. (Alvon on the left, Tom "shoddy guy" Mastracchio, winner of the Best Buns Award, on the right.

A great shot, if I say so myself, of Rudy and Teresa with the park and ocean behind them...

Old Black Tooth... He done gud today... averaged 32 miles per gallon over 237 miles today... with 171,605 miles on the old boy...

Speaking of OLD... Here is old BYG BRDD in all his glory...

And even older is his caretaker, Mike Busman, the days' coordinator, pointing out the wheels and tires to Rudy.

Gotta admit... BLACK CHROME centers on these 15 x 7 Rota wheel with the 195-50x15's look GREAT on the old BRDD. I woulda gone with a larger rear tire but Mike wanted to rotate them for some reason. He uses ONE spacer in the rear and NO spacers up front. I don't know the backspacing or offset and I'm not sure Mike does either... but that is what it takes for them to work with this completely stock suspension. No rubs!

BYG BRDD hisself... the only person that will ride with Mike and he's stuffed!

More eye-candy on the way home... two more '46 - '48 Ford Woodies, of which I was only really able to capture one...

and then there was this one... and I couldn't get a decent shot of the front. Its a PACKARD! Looks to be late 30's...

HA! I just couldn't resist... I have no idea what the license plate means... Save something...

The woman driving this TR3 looked to be French in huge sunglasses and stripped jersey... wish I could drive 80, shift, drink, smoke, eat and take good pictures all at the same time...

And then there was this little guy... talk about PLAIN JANE... This looks to be the $15,500 dollar version...

Merkel Weiss and his son David, Mike Busman, Tommy Mastracchio, Rudy and Teresa Mortero, Alvon and Maureen Elrod, Ed DeCarbo and myself had a great time... Also had great Hamburgers, Kosher Hot Dogs, and a variety of great Sausages, Potato Salad from Maureen, CHILE PEPPER'S from Alvon and drinks from Mike and Rudy made the HOT DAY really COOL!

Hopefully others will post more fotos of the REAL TWISTIES along Highway 74 as well as other picnic fotos...

Last edited:
Thanks Tony!

Really nice photos, and nice to put faces with some names.

I think the plate on the Smart Car says "SAVVY CR" and is a play on the car being "smart", making it a "savvy car" to own.

Great story

Thanks Tony for sharing this with all your friends. Tell me a bit about the yellow car. You mention a caretaker, what is that all about?

Yesterday Brian Benson and his wife Candy came to visit. I took them on my short loop along Unami Creek for a run in the Bertone. We led in our new MX-5. They will buy the car from me and I know he will enjoy it more than I do!:)

Thanks for the post!

Damon

Hey Jim... Thanks...

I get it... and it makes sense. I'm also impressed with the new I.Q. car commercials stating something like they are "smarter" than others... HA!

The term "Caretaker..." Well...

I useta say I OWNED things and then came to realize that most of the things I owned, really OWNED me!

The term "Caretaker" is just a nicer way of saying that... leaves one with a bit more dignity than just being a SLAVE to some goddam inanimate object.

HA!

If ya think about it, I'm sure you'll discover many of the same feelings as you look around your life...

Good news about the car as well...

Miss you too Rey!

Ya know... Tom Mastracchio is in about the same boat as you with his Spider... you two should talk.

He was suggesting just yesterday that we all congregate at his place in Aqua Dulce and put his car back together over Sausages, Pasta and Beer! Its a bit far for most but 20 minutes for me... so I'm game!

Last edited:
Agua Dulce? Tony, you know that I cannot make it over any of those freeway passes out your way without your assistance, AAA and good night's rest with the dogs at your place. Well, in fairness, that's trying to do so in a late-model BMW. Maybe I should try the FIAT.

Thanks to all for a great little gathering and for not giving me too much hassle upon receipt of my "Best of Slow" award. I'm happy to qualify for any of the other superlatives at future events :)

It was hot, but so was the good time we all had.

Although we had some last minute cancellations due to work and other reasons, we still had a group of very, very good folks. Those that made it included Alvon Elrod and his lovely bride Maureen (who also made a killer potato salad), Rudy Mortero and his lovely bride Teresa, Merkel Weiss and his son David, Tony, Ed DeCarbo (winner of the 1st. annual Palos Verdes fun run "Best Chick Magnet" award), Tommy Mastracchio, and yours truly if I haven't forgotten anyone.

It was probably 110 deg. when we left Lake Elsinore. The Ortega Hwy. drive is really beautiful with lots of curves. We ended up in Dana Point at Pines Park for the BBQ. The park is a great place with great views of the cliffs and ocean. Only negative was on street parking which made a group photo of the cars difficult. Photos are below.

First, view from Pines Park of the ocean.
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/Southern Scenic Drive Sept15_2012/P1060252.jpg

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/Southern Scenic Drive Sept15_2012/P1060253.jpg

The great one, Papa Tony making his grand entrance. When he got to the picnic table, we all got down on our knees, bowed, and exclaimed "we're not worthy" in front of the great one.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/Southern Scenic Drive Sept15_2012/P1060256.jpg

Some BBQ views.
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/Southern Scenic Drive Sept15_2012/P1060254.jpg
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/Southern Scenic Drive Sept15_2012/P1060257.jpg
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/Southern Scenic Drive Sept15_2012/P1060257.jpg

Papa Tony holding court.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/Southern Scenic Drive Sept15_2012/P1060261.jpg

Winner of the Best of Slow award (what happened so the Sorest Loser Award, Tony??)

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/Southern Scenic Drive Sept15_2012/P1060263.jpg

And Tommy "the hit man from Utica) Mastracchio, with the "Best Buns" award.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/Southern Scenic Drive Sept15_2012/P1060264.jpg

It was a great day, a great time and a group of really great people to brave the heat. See y'all at Best of Frand & Italy.

Mike
(winner of the Wannabee Iron Chef, Culinary Division Award)

Next time we get together Mike I am going to reset the pixel size on your camera. All your photos are too small. I am getting too old to see small things..:jedi:

Back