Starts for only 2 seconds when cold - MAF responsible?

Henway

True Classic
I'm looking for some help with a diagnosis.
My 1500 FI starts immediately but only stays started for about 2 seconds before dying. Revving the engine has no effect on length the 2 seconds. After doing this maybe 20 times it starts and stays started. After the engine is warm it restarts with no issues whatsoever. This happens especially when it's cold and doesn't seem to be an issue when it's > 80F outside.
I followed the FuelInjection Troubleshooting and it passed the doesn't start while cold #13 and #14 (though I don't have any way of measuring fuel pressure). It's spraying gas in a beautiful pattern out the cold start valve for about 6 seconds when cold, which eliminates the cold valve and thermo time switch and their wiring.
The temp sensor to ECU on pin 13 is at specification at 2K ohm at 20C.
The ECU resistance (Fi6 online) and 6 to 8pin should be < 600 Ohms. Mine is about 2 times that and fluctuates massively with the key out of the ignition. I'm also double the 1200 Ohms for 7 to 8. Conversely 9 to 8 is fine at under 350 Ohms.
That seems to indicate the MAF. The flapper moves easily and closes completely. The wiring is obviously old but I don't see any obvious wiring issues. I stopped at #8 on Fi7.
Does it sound like this is the correct diagnosis? Should I keep on looking for other possibilities? Any alternative suggestions for other or better MAFs to buy?

Ive had similar issues, in the past, on a digifant (Jetronic) Golfs. One was a bad fuel pump, the other was a loose connection to the MAF. Check those, then check them again.

I opened the top of the MAP and cleaned with electronic cleaner and that was likely the issue. A seemingly huge problem caused by a little bit of oxidation on the PCB potentiometer. I made sure when it's closed the two bronze strips inside barely don't make contact.

Back