1. D

1500 14-bolt head

Hi All, I have a 1500 14-bolt (big valve - 40mm intakes) head that I purchased from Steve Ceccehele about a year ago. Due to my decision to go Honda power on the race car, I've not done anything with this head. This is one of the new big valve heads that he's been building for some time but...
  2. D

1500 14-bolt race prep short block

Hi All, I have a short block (it does have an oil pan but no head or accessories) that I bought about a year ago from Midwest Bayless. Because I've decided to go Honda power on the race car, I've done nothing with the engine since I received it, other than taking it off the pallet and hanging...
  3. N

Transmission Reinforcement/upgrades?

Hi Folks, I'm scheduled to buy a 1981 X1/9 next week and I've seen a lot of threads on potential engine swaps, but nothing about preserving a stock transmission on a more highly tuned engine. To get into the specifics, the car has the 1500 and a 5 speed. I'm looking to boost the power of the...
  4. WantAnX1/9

The pros/The cons?

Hello all, I have a line on two nice X 1/9s. Both are carby 1500s. In each of your experience, what are the biggest pros/cons/contrasts between the carby and FI 1500 X 1/9s? Should I just hold out for a FI car? Are carbs the way to go for better induction noise on WOT? I know cold starts...
  5. Joe S.

What clutch kit to use when swapping a 1500 into a 128

I came across a 1500 from an X-1/9 for my 128. I've swapped over all the required 1300 parts over to the 1500 and now want to mate it to the 128's 4 speed transmission. I assume I need to use the 1500's flywheel, but what clutch kit (pressure plate, disc, release bearing) do I get? Do I get the...
  6. AKimball92

Cylinder Head I.D. on Wiki

As many of you know, I have been trying to record info on all the cylinder heads I could find. This started as I was trying to source the ideal head for my engine build (Euro 1500 carb'ed). I quickly found out that there are so many head could possibly work, some good and some bad. Then there...
  7. H

Starts for only 2 seconds when cold - MAF responsible?

I'm looking for some help with a diagnosis. My 1500 FI starts immediately but only stays started for about 2 seconds before dying. Revving the engine has no effect on length the 2 seconds. After doing this maybe 20 times it starts and stays started. After the engine is warm it restarts with no...
  8. AKimball92

1980 X1/9 on Detroit CL

Car is not mine but the owner saw me out working on mine. He offered for me to buy it at $1000 as well. If the rust is as minimal as he said it was, could be a good deal. Listed issues are as he said in talking although I haven't seen the car in person. Also mentioned was a fresh carb cleaning...
Back