Stripped lug hole in hub

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
My daughter got new wheels for her 500, from AutoRicambi. AR recommended longer bolts, apparently they were too long. The tire tech bottomed out the lug bolt and rather than investigate just kept hammering away with the impact gun. Now we have one hole stripped in the hub. The tire guys said to have it fixed and bring the receipt in and they will repay us. So.... can a stripped hole be tapped? Or are we in need of a new hub? It is a front hub, so I guess that is better than dealing with a rear hub.

My daughter got new wheels for her 500, from AutoRicambi. AR recommended longer bolts, apparently they were too long. The tire tech bottomed out the lug bolt and rather than investigate just kept hammering away with the impact gun. Now we have one hole stripped in the hub. The tire guys said to have it fixed and bring the receipt in and they will repay us. So.... can a stripped hole be tapped? Or are we in need of a new hub? It is a front hub, so I guess that is better than dealing with a rear hub.
Replace the hub..

Bernice

Thread repair on a exxe hub front or rear is not simple due to the residual material between the internally threaded hole to the edge of the hub..
about 2-3mm Max...

Bernice

I was thinking more of the complications in dealing with the axles on the rear. The front hubs seem like they would be "easier" to replace.

I was thinking more of the complications in dealing with the axles on the rear. The front hubs seem like they would be "easier" to replace.
A basic failure to read the last line… ugh

Last edited:
Definitely not something to try and repair. Best to have a new hub put on. The tire shop should reimburse the total parts and labor.

Definitely not something to try and repair. Best to have a new hub put on. The tire shop should reimburse the total parts and labor.
It is already at my local repair shop. They are very good at what they do and I trust them. They told us the best course of action was to drop the car off ASAP and they would start on it as soon as they had an opening in the schedule. Unfortunately, these guy are not a tire store, or I would have taken the car to them in the first place. :(

The rear hubs are a bolt in on a 500 with the bearing. Pretty easy replacement.

A quality assembly is @100 bucks on RockAuto.com
It is the front hub that is damaged. Anyboy know where to get one? My shop says that they can not locate a hub in STl. They called the local dealers with no luck. Rockauto only has rears.

Would you trust an Ebay item like this? It may be my only choice.

Would you trust an Ebay item like this? It may be my only choice.

No...NO....scroll down to the bottom and read the description again. That listing is for 2 x front wheel bearings ( JUST the bearings ) and 2 x rear bearing/hub assemblies. It does NOT included the front hub that you need !!

But gosh...that is a good price for all that.....

Last edited:
I think....you need something like this:

You will likely also need the wheel bearing itself - not included in this Ebay hub - as the old bearing will likely be ruined when it is pressed out...

No...NO....scroll down to the bottom and read the description again. That listing is for 2 x front wheel bearings ( JUST the bearings ) and 2 x rear bearing/hub assemblies. It does NOT included the front hubs that you need !!

But gosh...that is a good price for all that.....
Yeah, I am reading through several of these listings and finding odd info in most. I might have to gamble on this item that seems to be a front hub. :(

My mechanic says the bearings are available, just not the hubs. Checking the reputable dealers online, it seems the front hubs are truly not available.

AHA, I just read your most recent post. That eBay item the same thing I am looking at. Thanks I guess I will roll the dice.

Just a pondering, can you drill all the hub's and install wheel studs (and upgrade to studs instead of remaining with lug bolts)

I have considered do this to my X1/9 what are peoples thoughts of this in both cases?

Just a pondering, can you drill all the hub's and install wheel studs (and upgrade to studs instead of remaining with lug bolts)

I have considered do this to my X1/9 what are peoples thoughts of this in both cases?
That would be a last resort for my daughter's car Rod.

I am pretty sure folks have made that press in stud mod to hubs on an X1/9. On the other hand, I don't see any press in studs on MWB's site. So maybe not?

I am pretty sure folks have made that press in stud mod to hubs on an X1/9. On the other hand, I don't see any press in studs on MWB's site. So maybe not?
I have had it in the back of my mind for years. I am not suggesting doing something that is questionable on safety.

Or if it comes down to it, drill 4 new holes offset from the original ones. 45° offset if the new holes completely gobble up the locator pin holes, 22.5° if they don't.

I think....you need something like this:

You will likely also need the wheel bearing itself - not included in this Ebay hub - as the old bearing will likely be ruined when it is pressed out...
Just FYI, the part arrived today and appears to be the correct part. Very shiny and new as well. First test was threading in some Fiat lug bolts. Passed. :) Now I will see if my shop can squeeze the car into their schedule this week.

Thanks for the assist! :)

Back