Temperature above 190.....

Well, if there was air coming out, I couldn’t hear it over the engine idling. Did it twice for good luck, and will wait until the next drive/idle to see if the fans kick in when they should.
Well, if there was air coming out, I couldn’t hear it over the engine idling. Did it twice for good luck, and will wait until the next drive/idle to see if the fans kick in when they should.
I revised my steps above to reflect your comment about not being able to hear a hiss of air over engine noise. 👍

It's important (I think) to remember that the temperature rating of a thermostat is not the engine temperature. It is the temp at which the thermostat begins to open. So a 160 t-stat might let the engine run at 180, a 180 at 195, etc. I honestly think the original t-stat in a good, clean, stock cooling system works in just about any climate (excepting maybe yours, Dr. Jeff). Of course, having said that, I meekly admit to running a 160 in my '65 Mustang. Not taking any chances; hey, I live in the desert, too!

Back