1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temps with rebuilt radiator

Discussion in 'Front-Engine Rear Drive Fiats' started by JimD, Mar 9, 2017.

1. JimD

JimD Waiting for Godot... Moderator

Hi Rod,

I gave that some thought, it is only about $40.00-$50.00 in parts. At this point, I think that money might be better spent on a Pertronix ignition kit to get rid of the point setup on the car.

2. JimD

Rod,

Are the temp gauges with electrical senders any good? I can't find a mechanical sender that has an M16 fitting to go into the temp sender port on my engine.

3. Rod Midkiff

Rod Midkiff True Classic

I would think an electric would work but sometimes simple is the way to go (can you not get an adaptor) I know many of the gauges I have installed in the past I had to adapt the threads.

4. kmead

kmead True Classic

I would put one inline in one of the hoses so you don't have to do without the existing. There are all manner of aluminum (and some plastic for less money) adapters one could use

5. JimD

I looked into that too Karl, but I figured the truly interesting temp would be from the head location. The only hose with a long enough run to accept an adapter is the return hose from the radiator. I figured that temp won't tell me much regarding the high temp in the system. Am I wrong?

Rod,
    The electrics just require a wire into the passenger compartment, easier to do. The mechanicals require a hole large enough to pass the whole sensor bulb/retaining nut assembly thru the firewall. I haven't found a hole like that that is already there. And no, I haven't found an adapter yet. Still looking.

The 124 seems to be running well enough for driving around town at this point. I still need to flush the 124, although the coolant stays so clean its hard to imagine much coming out.

I am setting this project aside for a while. I have a week long family reunion to attend.

kmead likes this.