Testing the waters

Ben Louis

True Classic
Hi all, $1250 OBO

As much as I hate to say it I think it's time for me to sell the Bertone. I have the opportunity to acquire an 'heirloom' car from my late uncle and even though it guts me a bit to leave the X after all we've been through, in this case sentimentality wins out. If I don't take my uncle's car it's getting scraped and there are just too many memories with my family in his car. I only have space/$/time for one project car so unfortunately the X has to go.

So here's the thing...I took the car to the referee this week and it tested with amazing numbers but as per CA regs it needs a different Cat. Literally just a diff serial # no diff at all from the current one in spec but that's a whole 'nother can of worms I wont rant about here. So I could easily spend a couple hundred and get the car smogged and totally road legal, and with a referee sticker to boot which allows you to use any modern preOBD2 cat in the future. But....would anyone even be interested in the car even after all that? Would it just be another drop in the ocean for a car that won't sell? I am thinking with all the spares I'd want to be at about $1250 but very open to OBO let me know what you think

Check out my build here:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-car-so-far.34071/

If your looking for a stock cherry look elsewhere. If your looking for a hot little street fighter/mod car or maybe an autocross car this is a great starting point

Some things (not all) I've done:
- New water pump/gaskets
- General maint and fluids
- Full Fi rebuild including fuel pump/filter/lines/injectors/gaskets
- New carpet
- Rebuilt axles/CV joints
- Cam cover gasket/shimed properly
- New fuse/relay box
- New plugs/wires
- SS tank
- New battery
- New snorkel
- New speedo cable
-New shift linkage/refurbed cradle
- Sorted electrical (mostly)
- Copper re-pipe
- Sorted brakes w/ clean, retainers, pads
- Sorted suspension w poly and hardware (Shocks a bit tired but livable)
- Boxed control arms
- New key ignition
- There's so many more little things...

Spares list:
- Extra '79 1500 carbed engine w/ verified 45K (I pulled it) in case you want a dual Mod/smog setup or like dual carbs
- Alison headers
- New steering rack
- New cam belt/bearing
- Carbon front grill
- Hot cam
- Perfect battery cover (I've been scared to install it)
- Valve shim tool and a few extra shims
- Radiator and gas tank
- Lots of random littles

IMG_0009.JPG Below are very honest pictures of the car exactly how it sits as of nowIMG_2116.JPG
IMG_2118.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG
IMG_2121.JPG
IMG_2127.JPG
IMG_2128.JPG

Last edited:
Good price, especially for someone who wants to move the car out of state, away from the CA smog madness.

Good price, especially for someone who wants to move the car out of state, away from the CA smog madness.
Agree, but also not that difficult to change to a CARB stamped cat and get it registered in CA. Won't take too much to complete things and have a driver.

Agree, but also not that difficult to change to a CARB stamped cat and get it registered in CA. Won't take too much to complete things and have a driver.

Yes it should be fairly easy to get the car smoged
Ive got the formula from the refs mouth and its already passing on emissions by a huge margin. I just wanted to see if it was worth it for me to go the next couple steps and invest in getting it legal. Since I do have interest from some CA people I think Im going to go forward. Thanks for the interest and input

Stay tuned

Last edited:
The ‘heirloom’ car is my uncles ‘67 pan manx style buggy. Still working to find out if its a real deal meyers and other details on the car. But when I was a kid I rode in the buggy all the way to yosemite by trail to get ice cream and many of my fam has similar memories so I’ve got to take it and save it or else no one will.

Also if your interested in the car follow my build thread as Im going to do small updates and pics there as I figure out the new exhaust and get the car more ready for sale

Ben, I sent you a PM with a question...don't get excited, it's not about me buying the car.

I know it might be kind of annoying but Im still going to post info here for everyone its just easier and hopefully addresses more peoples questions. I have short breaks throughout the day so Ill try and do the best I can. For those with convos hold tight I will talk with you guys once I get things more settled. Im planning on pulling the car out and making a little video this afternoon with some more info so check back. Thanks!

I had a couple of Meyer's Manx's back in the day. Fun cars that have become collectible. Selling prices have shot up significantly in recent years. There are a few areas to look at in determining if it is a actual Meyers; raised nose badge area, dash contour, rear panel shape, and others. Unfortunately there have been several copies over the years so it might be difficult to know for sure without some documentation. Hopefully your uncle can help with that. Either way, it has sentimental value to you so go for it. I'd love to get back some of my early vehicle memories.

Put together a quick video as promised:

And some pics. I will say the paint is showing much better in these pics and video than it really is
IMG_2130.JPG
IMG_2131.JPG
IMG_2132.JPG
IMG_2135.JPG
IMG_2136.JPG

No mostly because they were in very poor condition so they werent worth keeping. However deleting those items did have the benefit of making the car much more water tight :)

Car is sold. Thanks for the interest everyone

Also,
I am left w some spares after sale of the car that I will list soon

Back