The long march begins for the 78

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
I finally put the 86 in storage last weekend to free up some garage space. Then I drug the 78 out from the back of the garage to start the engine swap project. The 78is really dusty from sitting for over a year. :(

Here are some random pics from the last two nights. I got the engine cover and trunk lid off last night, along with the lower trunk tray and insulation. Tonight I got the engine trim panels, carb fan and air pump off. I also did some cleaning as I went to see what kind of shape the car was in. I was pretty happy to see that there is very little rust and what exists is all surface rust. The worst spots are in the engine bay pods and under the trunk weather stripping at the left rear corner. Not bad at all.

rear trunk front panel 1.JPG rear trunk well left.JPG rear trunk well right.JPG engine pod left.JPG engine pod right.JPG left rear trunk corner rust.JPG lower trunk tray 1.JPG

I hurt my back recently, so I am only planning to work an hour or so each night for now. This will be another slow motion project for me.

Last edited:
Not bad...

No doubt this will turn out to be a fine ride, but...
I'm still trying to figure out why you favor the '78 over the 1986 car.
IMHO, everything about the 1986 is better except for (as compared) the seat covers and door cards.
What is it about this car you like better than your '86?

I didn't know there was going to be a quiz!

No doubt this will turn out to be a fine ride, but...
I'm still trying to figure out why you favor the '78 over the 1986 car.
IMHO, everything about the 1986 is better except for (as compared) the seat covers and door cards.
What is it about this car you like better than your '86?

Geez Bob... you are really harshing my mellow dude. ;)

I guess it's just that the 78 was my second X... after waiting 25 years to buy another. I just really like the look of this car.

IM001625.JPG

BTW... I still have the 86. It will be getting some more TLC as soon as I get the 78 running. I put it in a brand new storage unit about 1/2 mile from my house. The unit was so clean I was compelled to put cardboard under the engine bay just in case something decided to drip.

Last edited:
Jiminy... do yurself a BIG favor...

Pull the access panel from the '86 and use it as a template for the '78...

Then cut yourself an access hole from the trunk into the engine bay of the '78. Talk about saving your back... you will NEVER regret doing this.

You can source another panel from a late model or build one yourself from material sourced from HOME DEPOT...

Do keep us updated with your progress... and BTW... Yours is the first early model I have LIKED seeing with the Ladder-Bar bumpers. It think its the VIRGIN WHITE interior that makes it all work together!

Lastly... ignore BOB... as he ONCE owned a real FIAT, but now he's gone over to the "other side" as he ages exponentially and we watch him wrinkle and sag...

HAHAHAHA...

Hey Jim, looks like a great project - and as far as rust goes, thats nothing for a fiat.............. keep the pix coming and remember, DO IT ONCE _ DO IT RIGHT..............so says the word of LAPPY!:headbang:

I'm a BIG fan of yur '78!

Lose the luggage rack and add some chromed Euros resulting in a mighty fine LIDO clone :thumbsup:

Also think it's cool you have the original sales contract and that little thing called a Saratoga that the original owner purchased :)

I just really like the look of this car.
IM001625.jpg

lllido.jpg

llido.jpg

Greg... I think he should...

... keep the luggage rack as it adds to the bling... and also add the 4 dancing girls too!

HA!

Tony, Bob, Greg and Lappy

Luggage rack: I plan to have two trunk lids, one with the rack and one without.

Bumpers: I really want to go with euro bumpers, I am not sold on the chrome look though. That is a future project.

Access panel: It's in the plan. I have the access panel from the donor car to use as a template.

Do it right the first time: Yep Lappy. I hope I can do so. I have somewhat limited time and money to complete this. For now the goal is to get the 1500/FI in the car. I will certainly address the rust spots and clean up the engine bay while the 1300 is out of the way.

Early model bigotry ;) : I am sure Bob has no love for the early model electricals. The late models definitely were improved.

Forgot to add the pic of the 86

Time for the 86 to take a long winter nap. :(

IM002659.JPG

Last edited:
Ya gotta remember Jim... Bob...

... is getting OLDER and needs his creature comforts and life support systems.

I believe he's currently a 5 Year member of AARP by now also!

(hehehe!)

I've always liked your 78....

it's different from everybody elses and that makes it special

good luck on the mod, and you already know what is required when illustrating your progress.

Last edited:
Saw the mounts

High quality stuff. Worthy by anyone's standards.
I'd buy a set from RT myself if I aever considered the changeover.

Listen to Rick, and don't call me Shirley...

Your '78 is "special" for some reason... and the interior ala a Lido maybe is probably what sets the entire premise.

I guess that's why I think the shiny stuff works with it. I'm generally a minimalist at heart... but kinda like old White Fang being a Sunday GT Cruiser and all... being WHITE also... gives it the license for the shiny stuff and the luggage racks and "chrome" bumpers, along with chrome mirrors and trim rings on the wheels... made it all work.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6488/whitefangok.jpg

I believe your '78... even though BLACK... the white interior lends itself to this theme. Might as well install an aftermarket (read "Vintage" or "Hot Rod") A/C unit while yur in the neighborhood as well...

(Can I spend your money or what!!!)

Back