The long march begins for the 78

Lots of decisions to make as I go Tony

Adding AC will not be one of them. When I drive the X I want the top off.

The engine swap is the big project for now. After the dust settles I will work on cosmetics. I have a set of late model exterior thru-the-glass mirrors, a Bertone spoiler, and a few other parts I have collected over the years to use on the 78, now I just have to decide how "78 correct" I want the car to be.

I was never a big fan of the luggage rack. My brand new 1980 had one that had been installed by the dealer. It did make a great handle for pulling the car out of parking spaces when reverse stopped working. :)

Now wait a minute Jim... Don't start...

... doing a "Bob Brown" on me here... HA!

CORRECT???

With a 1500 and 5 speed... thru the window mirrors, Bertone spoiler...

CORRECT WHAT?

Build it anyway ya want but don't start with this "CORRECT" or "STOCK" B.S. Yur way too far gone for that kinda talk now...

Geez!

Sounds like yur headed for an AARP membership yurself soon also... Better bite the bullet and install that A/C unit NOW so ya won't regret it in a few months. Besides... these NEW ones blow hard enough to cool even with the top off!

Actually... no 5 speed involved

It will still be a 4-speed. The Midwest-Bayless site says "Why put a 1300 in your car when you can use a 1500?". Matt wouldn't steer me wrong. :) So I am putting in a 1500. I decided on adding FI, since having had both, I know I prefer FI over carb.

Concerning the mirrors, I am leaning towards using these black Vitaloni flag I acquired back in 2006. They are basically the same mirror as stock, only black:
im0014528dt.jpg

im0014512dn.jpg

im0014508dd.jpg

Those mirrors are "beauts"... But why install...

... a small mirror when you can install the larger late model Vitalonis... or the thru-the-wind-wings models like the BERTONES!

OK... I'm done hassling you... if you quite writing and get out there and git ta work!

Have fun Jim... send lots of photos...

Euro Bumper

I hope to make a full kit. Bumper and brackets. After the brackets I will do a feasability on fiberglass blades to go with them. I still have a day job so it may be a while.....
Bob

Good to know

I hope to make a full kit. Bumper and brackets. After the brackets I will do a feasability on fiberglass blades to go with them. I still have a day job so it may be a while.....
Bob

Thanks Bob.

Bumpers

I do have a full extra '74 bumper kit, brackets and blades plus early lamps and metal spoiler that I expect to sell after everything is done plus I have two sets of Euro blades , so I will have an extra set there too. I am thinking the Euro kits will be as cheap as I can make it. I'll make a few so everyone on the forum that wants it can get it. The extra metal parts I'll sell for retail prices in order to recoup my cost. I'll hang onto everything till I get the Euro kit sorted out.
Bob

I was able to get a bit accomplished today

Winter is coming and I wanted to get the car to the point where the rest of the tasks can be done in the garage. So I took the day off to do some "Honey-Dos" and to work on the 78. I managed to get the car out on the driveway and then drained the coolant and pulled all the hoses. Living up to its "one owner, bone stock" reputation.... most of the original clamps were still in place. The word for today is "Crusty". :)

I have most things pulled off the engine now, so it is a mtter of disconnecting some leads and then figuring out exactly how to drop the engine. Maybe next week.

As you can see in this picture, my driveway is pretty steep. It was a PITA getting the car back in the garage.

My son helped me push and my daughter was put in charge of moving the tire chocks as we progressed up the hill. It never occurred to me that she would not know what I meant by "Put the block behind the tire whenever we move the car forward." I found out after my son and I got it rolling up the hill only to find it rolling back at us after she said she had moved the chock. The chock was behind the tire alright.... at least a foot behind. My bad, I should have made sure she understood. It was funny after I stopped yelling. Son is 18, daughter 21, so they both think good old dad is :wacko: at this point in their lives anyway.

If only...

That poster is awesome. I remember when I was 18 I thought my dad was easily the stupidest man on earth, by the time I turned 21 I couldn't believe how much he had learned in 3 years. :)

Do you have power in your storage unit?

I bought a pretty nifty Battery Tender for about $40, I think. It actually cycles the battery to keep it fresh. Came with a two-part cord that you can choose either aligator style clamps or round eyelets. With the eyelets you can bolt it on to the battery cable ends, then the cord separates in the middle when you choose to remove the charger.

So my car looks about the same, tucked in and covered! Except I have a bunch of other crapola stored in there as well....

No power

Hi Tom,

Nope. No power in my storage unit. I think they had units with power, but I did not fell the need to pay the extra cash. The car will be home in a few months anyway. I plan to visit it and start it occasionally too.

Hey Jimbo!!!,...sorry to hear about your back,take it easy,been there....if i were you ill keep that 78 stock....you have the best of both worlds and early x and a late bertone.Nothing like a higher revving 1300!!!
One thing before winter hits hard,...on the one you just got in storage try to put some kind of insulation between tires and concrete.Try this to avoid the cold from flatspotting your tires....as you know im in TX now and mine already have a piece of old "thick" carpet between floor and tires.....just a reminder as i suppose you already know about this:nana:...Take care ......Al

Never heard that trick before

One thing before winter hits hard,...on the one you just got in storage try to put some kind of insulation between tires and concrete.Try this to avoid the cold from flatspotting your tires....as you know im in TX now and mine already have a piece of old "thick" carpet between floor and tires.....just a reminder as i suppose you already know about this:nana:...Take care ......Al

That's a new one for me Albert. I am sure I have some old carpet around here somewhere. You sure that isn't just asking for the mice to show up and start a nice nest with the carpet fibers? :)

Better the carpet than your seats...

Mice will work with what they have; give them something you want them to use and they might leave the car alone.

I have read advice to the effect of leave a paper towel on the seat. You can easily see droppings on it and chew marks on the edges if they start building a nest.

Well just make sure to leave some glue and traditional mice traps around the place,specially right at the garage door edges.Put some peanut butter in them.You`ll be alright then......and relax!!!.....Albert

A little more progress - finally got the engine out

My neighbor came over and gave me a hand tonight, so I finally got the engine and transmission out of my 78. So exactly how do I get the transmission off? I was able to wiggle it and get about a 1/4" to 1/2" inch gap, but it seemed to be stuck at that point. Is there any secret to this I should know?

empty_engine_bay1.JPG
empty_engine_bay2.JPG
1300_on_lift1.JPG
1300_on_lift2.JPG

Last edited:
Small bolt in cover plate

I always forget it. It's on the engine side behind the lower mount. Holds the tin flywheel cover plate.

Back