The long march begins for the 78

Thanks Albert

I am going to take a stab at getting the ECU mounted in the 78's spare tire well tomorrow. Looks like I need to find a spot for a rather large hole to accomodate the FI harness. :(

Holes can be easily made...

Its patching them up that's difficult. Let me know if I can lend a hand with the wiring and schematics Jim... I also have an aid in New Hampshire I've been coaching that can help as well...

(HA!)

Seriously though... this should be a regular plug and play... just mount the stuff first and then route the cabling... we can figure out what goes where pretty easily.

I must've missed the part where you installed the mill... Keep up the good work!

Nope.. you missed nothin' Tony

The engine and transmission are sitting behind the car right now.

IM002979.JPG

I figured it would be easier to put the wiring in while I could still get into the engine bay if I needed too.

Last edited:
Jim, you are correct

Especially if you're fishing wires around the firewall insulation.
Get all that done while the engine is out. :thumbsup:

Nice looking engine, BTW...

I'm sure it will be OK...

Say... are you gonna replace the firewall insulation??? There are lots of aftermarket stick on mats that make the job easy and will clean up the appearance as well as add some sound and heat deadening qualities.

Now is the time... and while yur at it... why not hit the entire bay with a coat of TRIM BLACK from Duplicolor.

It actually would look great painted all BODY COLOR and glossy but to do that well takes a great deal of effort and usually accompanies an entire respray of the car.

TRIM BLACK hides so many flaws, goes on easily and can be touched up almost any time... and it gives you a nice clean "pallet" to start from.

In any case... keep up the good work and keep us posted...

Time

All good ideas, but I have to get it back together. I have fooled around long enough with this thing. I just want it running again.

Be3sides, the engine bay is already shiny black from the factory paint. I am cleaning the insulation as bext I can, it looks OK to me. No pics at this time though. Maybe later.

Thanks Tom

thanks Tom. I appreciate the help. I think I am in over my head for sure now! Things could get pretty exciting when I try to fire this thing up for the first time. :)

Pics of the firewall insulation

Hi Tony,

Here are a couple pics of the insulation and engine bay. I am trying to clean everything up, but I wont be painting. I think it looks pretty good for being 33 years old and all original.
firewall insulation 1.JPG firewall insulation 3.JPG

Last edited:
Mounted the ECU in the spare tire well today

Today I went after the ECU install. The spare tire mount is right in the center of the well on the early cars. Fiat had to change the positioning when the FI cars were built. With it right in the center, you can't mount the ECU. After a lot of staring and measuring I figured I was ready to go, so I grabbed my cut off wheel and hacked the spare tire mount. You can see the remnants above and below the heater hose. Not sure how I will get the mount back in there, but I do have a cheap HF welder I could try.

ECU mount 4.JPG

You can also see some not so nice rust. It is pretty bad really, but seems to only be affecting the sheet metal below the dizzy access panel. Still a bummer, this is the only serious rust I can find on the car.

I am getting better at installing these rivnuts. The inserts went in nice and straight and neither one of them spins when you snug the bolts down. I put a good coating of touch up paint on the holes and inserted the rivnuts while it was still wet. Then I let the paint dry before trying to install a fastener.

ECU mount 3.JPG

You can see that I did measure twice and cut once. After marking the first location (which I thought would buy me an extra 1/2" of play in the harness), I took another look at my reference photo from the 86 and decided I was to far towards the gas tank. The first location would have interfered with the spare tire.

Tomorrow I will attempt the 2" hole required to feed the FI wiring harness from the engine bay into the spare tire well. I am not excited, but I am determined. :)

Last edited:
FWIW,

My ECU just sits there with some 3/8 rubber weatherstripping as pad on the bottom rail behind the spare tire. My spare tire mount is missing, and the spare tire sub occupies the normal spot anyway.

Your ECU is not mounted to the firewall?

FWIW,

My ECU just sits there with some 3/8 rubber weatherstripping as pad on the bottom rail behind the spare tire. My spare tire mount is missing, and the spare tire sub occupies the normal spot anyway.

Hi Gregory,

So your ECU is not mounted to the firewall? It just flops around back there while you drive?

Jim... it certainly isn't "bad"...

Its just that your engine is so PRISTINE! I understand where yur coming from... Just trying to encourage you is all...

No cats here...

No animals at all, except me. :devil: Wouldn't want stray hair in the intake. :grin:

Jim, the transmission you have there looks worthy on all counts and I'm proud if ya! You're doing a great job.

Ahhh, the good ol' days....
Too bad this photo wasn't taken with the Allison's Automotive Ignition, the plated motor hook, plated head bolts and a clean oil filter. :cry:

Ahh-well, I get a second chance when assembling the new Mac-X engine. :grin: This one went back into the trailer queen. (original) Maybe next time I take an engine photo, I'll pick up a little.

myengineprofilesm.jpg

Sort of...

It's not flopping, it's held in by the spare tire and subwoofer. But it's not hard mounted...

The only time it flop around is on track day, when the spare comes out. :wink2:

Cut the hole for the ECU wiring harness today

What an adventure. I decided I needed a 1-/78" hole saw, but there is no such thing readily available near me. So I picked up a 2' hole saw and figured it would be a little loose, but OK. Well it turns out a 1-3/4" hole saw would probably have been a better choice. The 2" hole saw made a hole that is probably more like 2-1/8". Now the grommet holding the wires is pretty darn loose. :(

ECU harness hole 4.JPG

Maybe I will add some adhesive sealant when the final install happens.
ECU harness hole 5.JPG
The ECU mounts nicely in the spare tire well and the harness clips into its connector as it should. So, even with the frustration of the hole turning out a bit too big, I am calling this day a success.

Last edited:
Interior removal :(

When I started this project I never imagined that I would need to change the accelerator pedal and cable in order to complete the conversion to an FI engine. Mad.Matt dropped the bad news on me when we were discussing my project at FFO. Bob Grasch was kind enough to send me the proper pedal out of his parts stash Thanks Bob!

I spent most of yesterday pulling the interior out of the 78. The seats were a little tricky as the assist springs were still connected to the floor. You have to grab them just right to get them out of the floor mount point. Then I moved on to the console. I spent a lot of time labeling the wire groups and photographing each switch:

IM003017.JPG

Then I removed everything holding the carpet down and rolled it over into the passenger foot well. Now I can access the accel pedal, but I don't think this will be easy to get the new cable run.

IM003021.JPG

I figure while I am in this deep I should replace the speedo cable as well. I will probably tag Chris in for that battle, he is the pro when it comes to cable yanking. ;)

Last edited:
I am learning as I go

I am not sure how skilled I am. Seems if I were really skilled it wouldn't take me 2 days to muster the courage to cut a hole in the firewall. :)

Or if I was skilled, maybe I wouldn't lose the spark plugs. :( Can't figure out where they went. Guess I will get some more.

Believe me, I will being hounding you for help when I get the engine back in.

Added a rear access panel to the 78

I have put off working on the 78 for far too long. Today, I decided to put in the rear access panel. Here are some pictures.

I really hated to cut into the really well preserved rear trunk, but I figure I will need the access once I start reinstalling the engine.
IM003032.JPG

I drilled some various sized round holes in the corners of the raised areas in the existing panel.
IM003033.JPG

Next I used my new Harbor Freight metal shear (it has a freakin' laser beam) to start cutting from hole to hole. My goal was to preserve as much of that raised lip as possible in hopes that it would help with long term stability of the remaining metal.
IM003035.JPG

Large opening on right side completed.
IM003036.JPG

Smaller opening on left completed.
IM003040.JPG

After I completed both openings I went back with a die grinder and smoothed the edges of the openings so I wouldn't cut myself in the future. I also rounded a couple of cuts in the corners to hopefully avoid any cracking down the road.

Once I get the 10 holes drilled (hopefully tomorrow) I will be able to install the access panel I got from Tom (AngleT).
IM003037.JPG

My next project is to create hard line for the FI fuel return and get it installed.

Last edited:
Back