The long march begins for the 78

GREAT JOB JIMINY...

One thing you may want to consider though... and you can always change it if you don't agree...

I found that TEN bolts or screws are really not necessary especially since you retained the "flare" and rigidity of the original panel, as well as the panel itself. I only install four bolts back in mine so it is that much easier to access.

You might even consider using something like four DZUS 1/4 turn fasteners as well or some other form of cabinet or window latches. Just a thought...

You can always drill the ten holes and use quick-nuts or even sheet metal screws if you want to later.

In any case... I hope this inspires others as well... This access really makes a difference and you'll never regret taking the time and effort to do this.

Thanks Tony

That's a good idea. I will give some thought to reducing the number of bolts. I know I always got frustrated whenever I took the panel out of my 79 or 86. "10" is a lot of bolts to remove. :)

Nicely completed job, Jim..........!!

......Today, I decided to put in the rear access panel.
..........I will be able to install the access panel I got from Tom (AngleT
).

.......WELL DONE!
What is the "boxed-shape" section (going from the LH side towards the centre) on the access panel that shows in your last pic?
I also have an access panel from a later X (that I intend to install in my '78 'at some later date'), but the one I have is just a flat panel i.e. no "boxed section" like the one in your pic.
Just wondering what that particular portion is designed to protect/cover or whatever?? :hmm:

cheers, Ian - NZ

It is for the FI fan

.......WELL DONE!
What is the "boxed-shape" section (going from the LH side towards the centre) on the access panel that shows in your last pic?
I also have an access panel from a later X (that I intend to install in my '78 'at some later date'), but the one I have is just a flat panel i.e. no "boxed section" like the one in your pic.
Just wondering what that particular portion is designed to protect/cover or whatever?? :hmm:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Hi Ian,

That boxed section is for the injector cooling fan. In the FI cars the fan was moved to the trunk and blows thru the boxed section till it meets a duct that carries the air to the injectors.

IMG_0465.jpg

The dirty orange rubber snout coming from under the intake manifold is the duct to the injectors.

The 79-80 US spec 1500's were still carb'ed, so they did have flat access panels.

Getting back at it

Pretty sad when I look back and see the first post was Oct 2010. :( Oh well, I admit that I bit off more than I could chew with this project. I have run into a few challenges that just made me throw up my hands and walk away for a few months. I am back at it again and I would like to get the car running this spring. We shall see.

I got a steel line and a tubing bender and created the return line to carry the fuel from the output of the regulator back to the tank. Then I decided to fix the one serious rust area I have found. It is at the bottom edge of the distributor access panel. This is the only hole in the car. I guess some water got into the insulation.... repeatedly.

rust hole.JPG

I cleaned it up, then patched it with POR-15 and fiberglass mat. It worked pretty well and seems solid. I still need to add another coat, but hopefully it will hold up over time.

rust patched.JPG

Next step is to get the engine and transmission back in. They have been sitting behind the X staring at me every time I go in the garage.

engine behind 78.JPG

Time to get to work.:hammer:

Attachments

• rust patched.JPG
    rust patched.JPG
    565 KB · Views: 77
  • rust hole.JPG
    rust hole.JPG
    663.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
A wise old saying, Jim..........!

.....Pretty sad when I look back and see the first post was Oct 2010.........
.......Time to get to work
.:hammer:

.....goes sumthin' like "perseverance is a great teacher"!!

Stick with it, mate!! :clap:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Thanks Ian

I will keep after it till its finished. I want to drive it this summer. :)

A little more progress

I have made some more progress in my slow motion engine swap. In addition to completing a bunch of housekeeping tasks for the swap to the 1500 FI ( fuel return line added, fuel pump and filter mounts, etc, etc), I finally shoved the engine back under the car. This was just a bit less scary than when I had to jack the car up uncomfortably high to swap the gas tanks. I had my neighbor come over and make sure I didn't do anything stupid, like get crushed by the X. :)

Before:
engine behind 78.JPG

After:

IM003077.JPG
IM003080.JPG

Someday, I will get this thing running. Anywho... this was enough for a Friday evening.

Last edited:
Way to go Jim,

I was beginning to wonder if Mac-X would be done before yours. :)
Looking like you have a good start on getting it back together again.
Nice work, BTW. Keep up the momentum.

Thanks Bob

I "hope" to get this car running before summer is over. I still have some challenges like adapting the FI gas pedal/cable setup into the carb's car. The guide tube in the center tunnel is too small to accept the FI accel cable. :(

Adapting the FI gas pedal

I'll have this same challenge so if you get to this before me, I'll be paying close attention.
I'm not too worried about it now but keep us posted with your findings. I'll do the same.

One more 1300 item to use...

...when converting 1300 car to 1500
is 1300 linkage on camcover.
Allowing 1300 cable to hookup to linkage on camcover.

Haven't done 1300-to-1500 conversion with FI,
but looks like hybrid of 1300 & 1500 bits
would accomodate the secondary FI-only short cable.
FI linkage stopper boss on camcover looks like it could be fabricated.
Have done conversion to 1500 with carbs.

Pedal end is different for FI

...when converting 1300 car to 1500
is 1300 linkage on camcover.
Allowing 1300 cable to hookup to linkage on camcover.

Haven't done 1300-to-1500 conversion with FI,
but looks like hybrid of 1300 & 1500 bits
would accomodate the secondary FI-only short cable.
FI linkage stopper boss on camcover looks like it could be fabricated.
Have done conversion to 1500 with carbs.

Hi Mike,

I had the same thought when I started this project. I was talking to Matt at FFO last summer and asked how to convert the linkage, he told me about all the changes in the accel cable set up. :(

As it turns out, everything from the linkage to the accel pedal changed for FI. The spring that was on the accel cable at the linkage end on the carb setup is now at the pedal for FI. So you have to use the FI linkage and get an FI specific pedal. The FI accel cable housing is thicker and the ferrule that mates to the in-tunnel guide tube is bigger, so the tube must be modified. In short, nothing matches up. :(

So in addition to all the engine bay and electrical work I had to pull the interior to work onside the tunnel. That is when I discovered that the FI ferrule wouldn't fit the carb tube. I threw my hands up last October and walked away for a few months.

Thanks Tony

I am getting close to the point where I will be dragging Chris over here to help me get this thing running. Boy do I ever hope it runs. :help:

Bob Brown you magnificent b*st*rd!! :)

Lots of progress this week thanks to BobbyB. :king: He is in STL on business all week and has stopped by the house twice to visit. Monday went well, we just looked at the 78 for a while and chatted. Tuesday I had an appointment in the evening, but we got together again after work on Wednesday. I asked Bob what he wanted to do and he said, "Let's put your engine in." I was actually thinking about the gentleman's clubs on the East Side, but I couldn't turn down free labor.

So after almost a year of hanging around engine-less, the 78 project took a big leap forward tonight. Here is the result of all Bob's efforts. I tried to stay out of his way. :)

From the pass side:
IM003082.JPG

From the driver's side:
IM003083.JPG

Thru the access holes I cut into the 78.
IM003084.JPG

From behind:
IM003086.JPG

A peek underneath:
IM003087.JPG

LAst but not least, Bob left about 9PM and said "You better have those wheels on next time I see the car." Here you go Bob. :hug:
IM003091.JPG

That is way more progress than I would have made on my own in one night. Thanks Bob!

Last edited:
Gentleman's club ehh?

Ha-haah! That counts me out! :devil:

Well, truth be told, I did more watching than working. :shock2:
Jim was underneath the car a whole lot more than me. It's more fun handing him tools. :eek:

I think all Jim needed was a little incentive, so the free labor offer kinda took him over the edge. :laugh:

All went together without incident. Looks more like a car now, right Jim? Maybe we can get part of the FI system sorted out tonight...

This will surely be a nice ride when completed. :thumbsup:

YOU TWO ARE PRIME EXAMPLES...

of what I love about this site, these cars, and the great people associated with them!

Jim... ya gotta tell me how ya got Bob to actually do some work though...

All he does when he comes to L.A. is eat all my food and drink all my beer. Then he wants to P-A-R-T-Y! (p.s. Don't tell Carol!)

Back