the saga of the stuborn studs

tool exchange

You could just buy the tool then sell it "gently used" in FSW when youre done with it, I'm pretty sure someone would buy it...

Or maybe someone somewheres got one they could loan you if you did the ship and return thing?

I have hesitated to post in your thread.

I have been where you are. Source/Borrow the head removal tool. You will get it off and be done with it.

Mirafiori Tool Crib

they have one ... I've used it.

http://www.mirafiori.com/~pete/tools/faq.html

it's "run" by Pete Angel if i remember right ... his address
pete.angel*worldnet.att.net
off a post from last year.

dunno if the particulars/procedure has changed or not(it's been some few years), but when I borrowed one, i sent a check/deposit to Pete, paid for the postage and it showed up on my doorstep some few days later. i used it and sent it back and got my deposit back. I think you get 30 days to do what you need to do with it.

seriously, it was the easiest removal of a profoundly stuck head I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

jim
'02 ducati monster
'81 X
'73 pinzgauer 710M
'02 hyundai accent

Last edited:
Yeah, Kroil does smell a bit. I always figured if it smells that much it must work real well.

I just thought of another trick that might free up the head from those studs. If you centerpunch and drill the center out of the studs you will relieve some pressure put on them by the rust and you may be able to free up the head without damaging it. Just don't drill all the way to the level of the bottom of the head as you will want to leave a short bit of solid stud just above the block to weld a nut on to to remove what's left after the head is removed.

Back