The Tale of Sears Pointless, March 2010

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
We finished up getting the X ready for this LeMons mid week with new adjustable struts on all four corners. This was some what risky, if they did not work out, we would need to remove it all and install the old struts and re-set up the chassis to what it once was.

After some chassis tuning by Chris and the other drivers, we got the new suspension to work well enough for this event late Friday afternoon, but there were still various chassis dynamics problem, which we will work on at future track days. At the end of Friday, the car ran great. For those who had seen this car before, they will note the car is now noticeably lower than before. Due to the increased performance of the X, tires were more of a factor than before. So we decided to run the car with our spare set of 14" wheels and tires in place of the 15" we saved for Sunday when the speed of the race will increase significantly.

Day one of LeMons tends to be a sorting out day, the race tends to be slower with more cars breaking down and drivers getting the feel of driving at LeMons.

We rolled the X into tech for the usual checks in costume, six chefs and one wrench fairy..
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUF4xvlTMn8"]YouTube- Sears Pointless Tech BS 1.mpg[/ame]

http://www.youtube.com/user/jmarsh4441#p/u/2/93RoxQLf_Wc

Jay liked our rolling Italian restaurant and gave us a zero penalty laps before we got to BS judging. The car ahead of us got bounced in tech for a problem with the roll over cage. This caused us to be held up until they were moved out of the tech area. We rolled into the BS judging area with chef’s a serving and Italian music a blarinn. We served Jay, the Judges and all the LeMons staff Meatball sandwiches that were well received.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jmarsh4441#p/u/1/4UAN9nbxMP4

http://www.youtube.com/user/jmarsh4441#p/u/0/KM0uRJjbiIQ

Jen and I went up to the control tower to check if the transponder for our car was working properly. We had transponder problems at Thunder Hill, which could have affected our results for that race. The track timing and scoring folks were having software problems, which caused the cars to roll under yellow for over ½ hour. Jay just stood there and stared at the timing and scoring folks who were arguing over what to do about the problem. They eventually started the race on a back-up timing and scoring system. This is why the results for Saturday were weird.

We headed up to turn two where the green flag was finally dropped.

The X started the race on our spare set of 14” wheels and tires knowing that day one is basically a shake out day where cars die and new LeMons drivers and teams get initiated to LeMons racing.

The X ran without incident until mid-afternoon when I got a call that the transaxle lost 4th gear. During the driver change and re-fuel, I had a look see at the transaxle linkage and all appeared well. The X still ran, so we sent the X back out on the track with the transaxle basically stuck in 3rd gear. The X ran on track for about 3 hours stuck in 3rd gear until the end of day one. Adding insult to injury, the engine developed a mis-fire at high RPM…

That was when the decision was made to try and find a spare transaxle locally with no success. So, I decided to drive back home and put together a spare transaxle and another transaxle of unknown condition (for parts if required) and bring it back for installation later that night. The drive home took about an hour and a half. Once we got home, I dug out the spare, opened it up and made it right. When this was done, we looked and looked for the box of spare ignition parts.. an hour passed and that box of parts were not where to be found. I did find a spare dizzy and only a few other bits required which had to do for now.

We loaded everything in the SAAB, drove up to Sears Point and arrived just before 10:00 PM. The newly put together transaxle was unloaded from the SAAB where the rest of the crew began the installation process.

xmissioninstall.jpg

I began to figure out why the engine was mis-firing and not revving.
The crew suspected Cam timing culprit, but that checked out to be fine.

The problem turned out to be a broken connector to the dizzy magnetic pickup. We had spare terminals, but not the special crimp tool required for these terminals. I considered pliers crimping the terminal on for a moment. That passed quick knowing that if that connection were to fail, the X could end up dead on the track and any chance of finishing this LeMons. It was good thing that brought a spare set of already crimped and shrink tubed dizzy wires. These were spliced into the ignition wiring harness. Once this fix was done, all that remained was to set the timing and verify the fix is good. We finished installing the transaxle after mid-night. That was one long day..

Sunday’s race began just as we arrived back to the track at about 9:30 AM. The X was running well again and our usual race wheels and tires back on the car. For the entire day, the X ran flawless and fast. Driver changes and re-fuel went problem free and the X simply hammered on the track. As of 2:20 PM, we were in 7th place overall and 3 laps behind Eye Sore Racing’s turbo Miata. There is no question this is one of the fastest cars at LeMons on Sunday, Steven was cranking 2:17:xx per lap, that is about as fast as anything running that day.

Later that morning, we got curious and wondered what failed in the transaxle. I got the guys to drain the transaxle and took it apart on a folding table. This is where 4th gear failure was revealed to the light of day.
xmissionontable.jpg

4thgearfailure362010.jpg

It is interesting to note the “Members Only” Porsche 928, built by Evil Genius Racing (a pro-race shop) chased the X for 5 laps until the end of the race.

At the end, we finished 15th overall, missed winning in class (the Bad or L2) by one lap.. again. I’m a bit amazed we did this well considering the X ran stuck in 3rd for so long, mis-firing and transaxle change.

I watch some of the race from turn 7 while spotting for our drivers and LeMons has some of the very best racing anywhere. This is due to the differences in the cars, drivers and all else that happened at LeMons.

The race was red flagged when the Cadaviler Wagon rolled and caught on fire. This was a terrifying moment for all involved, as the chance of an explosion was very real. The ER crew should be given a medal for their quick work at putting out the fire and taking the injured driver to the hospital. The driver is OK, but suffered broken vertebrae. The tone of the race changed after this event. It was a reality check for everyone at LeMons. Other cars went off, there were cars that crunched and broke but surprisingly few for the number of cars racing at Sears Point.
frozentrack.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2QTjjheyGE"]YouTube- 24hoursoflemons-ONSET-SearsPointCrash.AVI[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01Enj8zHTY"]YouTube- Sears point, Cavalier crash, Saturday.avi[/ame]

The car that won IOE was the Air Prance Citroen DS.. IMO, a LeMons legend in the making.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRwAKnXJwEw"]YouTube- Team Air Prance IOE Award[/ame]

http://jalopnik.com/5487906/and-the-real-winner-is

Link to the results:
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=110315...I9W1rEor45Pnq4D4-hrIvXUuTHxWgi9x5TQak6b323A==

great writeup!

Overall...

This race was called the best lemons ever, and I would agree. Great weather, great competitors and camaraderie, great venue. The corner workers even got into it, dressing in costumes and giving each corner a theme - complete with props (this was *their* idea!).

From the team captain's chair...

The team is starting to get it's act together - I took a bit more of an "in-charge" posture and, while it's hard to do with friends, it seemed to help. Past races were managed pretty loosely, which would lead to people wandering off - not knowing where/when to be, etc. This time, everybody fell into their role quite neatly - and rotations of spotters, pit-crew, drivers went very smoothly compared to past races.

Having a schedule, team talk, good radio communication - helps immensely. I'm amazed at how much communication needs to go on to make things work. Sears has an "unusual" advantage in that cell phones WORK there. Other tracks - Thunderhill, Reno, Buttonwillow - are in the boonies, and there's little/no cell coverage. I'm working on radios for next race.

The debate over tires raged into Friday evening, and that led to us swapping 14's for 15's on Saturday a.m. Seemed like a good strategy and in hindsight it was; but we only have the 14's as a spare set, and that proved too much gear ratio for 4th. This has me thinking about getting a second set of 15s so we can have set-A and set-B, and not bump into this problem again. 15" rubber is getting harder to find in the size we want. So we'll have to sort that out.

You never know what to bring for spares. Some teams talk about bringing entire cars, and just swap numbers when one breaks. Frankly, the heroic fixes are a big part of this event (there's even a trophy for it), and number swapping is not really in the spirit. Our goal is to have fun, and driving a broken car is not everybody's idea of fun. The transaxle swap was hectic, and very tiring. But in the end, it was a good fix and the car was fantastic on day-2 with a "fresh" gearbox (or, ok, if not fresh - at least working).

From the driver's seat....

This car is just a blast to drive under race conditions. I've driven a lot of fast cars on the track, but this guy is just a little scalpel - slicing, dodging, weaving - able to change directions in an instant, mid corner, corner entry, exit.

There's a lot of modern hardware at Lemons, that benefits from not being old and worn out, and from engineering and manufacturing techniques from this decade. Further, spares and sneaky go-fast parts are plentiful for these cars - and we've always been just on the border of slow and not-quite-fast-enough.

This car is *fast* now. It's a combination of a fresh engine (we probably ran the entire last race on broken rings), some dyno time to get the jetting set properly, and a good-fresh handmade suspension (which we cobbled together out of new and fabricated parts). Having Bernice at the helm for the mechanicals has also been a big plus - she's made some good, calculated decisions for what to address and what to leave alone. The whole package is working extremely well now.

On the track, I could tell we were being chased - there was a white MR2 (the Sushi Power car), a matte black 944 (CRUZ mobile), a Neon, a staggeringly fast Peugot 505, and now to find out the 928 was after us as well.

It was great to not just chase, but be chased. It adds a whole new dimension to the event, and it's a great amount of fun.

Next is to keep sorting the chassis, reduce weight wherever we can, get our tires sorted and get radios sorted. Some other tricks up our sleeves, but you'll just have to wait to find out what they are. ;)

Last edited:
Congrats to the team

Another successful weekend I would say. Congrats to you all and thanks for all the hard work keeping the X flag flying in the Lemons series.

I love that pic of the track, I might have to use it as a desktop background for a while.

The event was a blast.

Bernice assembled a great motor and the car handled just fine. I look forward to the next race!

Regards,

We rolled the X into tech for the usual checks in costume, six chefs and one wrench fairy..
YouTube- Sears Pointless Tech BS 1.mpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/jmarsh4441#p/u/2/93RoxQLf_Wc

Jay liked our rolling Italian restaurant and gave us a zero penalty laps before we got to BS judging. The car ahead of us got bounced in tech for a problem with the roll over cage. This caused us to be held up until they were moved out of the tech area. We rolled into the BS judging area with chef’s a serving and Italian music a blarinn. We served Jay, the Judges and all the LeMons staff Meatball sandwiches that were well received.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jmarsh4441#p/u/1/4UAN9nbxMP4

http://www.youtube.com/user/jmarsh4441#p/u/0/KM0uRJjbiIQ

You guys had a great theme! Very funny.

Guys....let me introduce myself..... I'm Brian, a fellow car nut and owner-driver of the "Evil Genius Porsche 928" that races with the Italian Stallions in Lemons!!!

I just finished editing a bunch of video from the final stint on Sunday when I was driving and spent about 20 minutes battling with the X all the way to the checker!! It was a classic battle of heavier-more powerful car vs the light nimble less powerful car... oddly enough the power to weight ratios of the two cars is quite similar...(16.1 whp/lb for the 928 about 17.5 for the X) the racing weight of the 928 is 3150lbs and it has 196whp going through a one legger slushbox...not exactly super efficent but it gets around pretty good...

Here are some videos from Sunday afternoon
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY3GrqRey-k"]YouTube- Sears Pointless Italian Stallions!!! part 1 of 2[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQx2LsRpmGc"]YouTube- Sears Pointless Italian Stallions part 2 of 2[/ame]

It was a total BLAST chasing you guys around.....I barely snipped ya right at the line at checker....but we were already out of contention since we got hit with a hefty penalty during BS inspection...but I am happy with our 173 laps on Sunday... It makes me wonder how your super fancy adjustable coil overs got past the BS judges? They must not have looked? My advice is to dirty them up ALOT....

Will you be running again at Going for Broken? I hope so, its too much fun running with you guys! We already have a pseudo battle going with the "Brits" in the Jag V12 guys (we call them Wankers) might as well add some Italian's to the "rivals" list!!

Hope to see ya in May!!!

Thanks for the videos Brian.

I was the driver in your videos. It was fun racing you. I had a blast as well. The coilovers were fabricated completely by our team, within the residual value, so it wasn't any problem at BS Inspection. We won't be at the next race, but plan to enter the Thunderhill event in August.

In my opinion, your team is one of the best at LeMons, so I look forward to battling you guys in August.

See you then,

Brian, I've also battled you guys in several 25-Hour Enduros!

I've driven Pro7 Mazdas and Miatas in several of the 25-Hour Enduros in E2, placing as high as 6th Place. I'll look you up at the next race.

Regards,

I've driven Pro7 Mazdas and Miatas in several of the 25-Hour Enduros in E2, placing as high as 6th Place. I'll look you up at the next race.

Regards,

Steve - speaking of 25 hour enduro; Versus aired the survive the 25 enduro from the last held at Thunderhill. It was pretty cool.

Steve
Great!!!!! Your car really puts up a fight!!!! Clearly your drivers are no slouches either..... I did manage to get my 2nd best lap time following you...2:19.44...not too bad with the super slow 9a....

Coilovers from residual...I WISH.... I get precisely ZERO residual....as in I can't spend a nickel....or a penny for that matter!! The good news is I wasn't planning on changing anything anyway!!

I'm actually a newcomer to EGR.....I don't even have a "real" race license :>) Only lemons and DE for me......of course the "other" drivers on my team and the V8olvo are VERY good and I learn a bunch just from hangin around with them and watching the video of them driving my car (5 seconds a lap faster than me:))

Even if you can't make Going for Broken, hopefully you can make the dyno day-BBQ the week prior at EGR...the last one was FUN!!!

I saw it. They featured only a few of the cars.

Steve Hoelscher and I were in the general areas they were shooting, but I didn't see either of us.

Thanks,

Back