those with snorkels

wannabfast

Thai with a 78 in MN
so im planning on making a snorkel out of sheet metal, but i was going to make a mockup with cardboard then use the pieces to transfer to sheet metal
now my question is does this affect how the engine cover opens or do you remove the scoop then open the engine cover?

I do not have one, but I have already made plans for my own. I have a few solutions for this issue, pin the snorkel to the engine cover, pin the engine cover to the car. or use a combination of a hinge & pins on the snorkel to make it so it can fold.

The original snorkels were either...

... affixed solidly to the cover or hinged, and then they did indeed restrict their opening. Many removed the hinges and pinned the engine cover down as well.

BUT... since yur doing your own... I once designed one that I mocked up but never made... that would allow the STOCK late model cover to still use its hinges and open as it normally would.

The principle was that I would cut out ONE horizontal bar and mount the snorkel to the engine or to the chassis below the cover... with the snorkel peeking over the top, while still allowing the top to be removed... and shaped it in such a manner that the cover would open (around it) while it stayed in place.

It looked very much like the original FAZA but much easier to live with.

SECONDLY, I dressed the snorkel to the LEFT SIDE directly BEHIND the driver so that the view to the rear and to my right was not obstructed.

It looks well balanced from the rear with a single LARGE exhaust on the RIGHT!

The reasons I did NOT build it was twofold. 1) I could get almost the same REAL power increase by using the left side vent ducted directly to the carb... and 2) I did not have all the power that the VISUAL look of the snorkel would have alluded to.

I have a Faza snorkel which I have fitted every which way till Tuesday (whatever the heck that means - isn't that an 80's band??).

I have considered quick screws or hood pins. I even mocked up a pair of "tracks" that I would attach to the engine cover and they would run parallel with the heat vents/slats and be the length of the snorkel front to back. Then the edges of the snorkel would fit just under and could slide it in and out. Then a pin to hold the snorkel from sliding off as I shot down the freeway :)

Fitting the cover to the left although would definately help with seeing behind, I think the benefit from the forced air would be less at least for a carb'd car. Am I wrong?

-Tim

IMG_4412.jpg

The originals hinged at the rear

so im planning on making a snorkel out of sheet metal, but i was going to make a mockup with cardboard then use the pieces to transfer to sheet metal
now my question is does this affect how the engine cover opens or do you remove the scoop then open the engine cover?

The snorkels had a hinge at the rear and a clip at the front. Prior to lifting the engine cover you would unpin the front and rotate the snorkel towards the trunk lid. The when you lift the trunk lid the snorkel should end up on the targa bar or thereabouts.

Side Hinge?

Never messed with a snorkel but what about hinging the engine cover from one side edge rather than the front edge? I think this would allow the snorkel to be fixed to the engine cover. Just a useless thought.

carl

well i mocked one up today, and suprisingly enough it does allow for the engine lid to be opened while in place!!!:nana:

68949_1646160753440_1219530682_1759096_2756231_n.jpg

40150_1646161793466_1219530682_1759099_3898011_n.jpg

71806_1646161313454_1219530682_1759098_5633499_n.jpg

enjoy

I like the #3158 & 3159

nice mock up.
Youve inspired me to make my own this weekend. Thanks Thai

i should add that the rear wider area is wide enough to cover the twin carbs

ill be running with this scoop on sunday, ill probably put another piece of cardboard at the top to make it flow better from the top to the bottom

Here's an image for ya

Not sure who's car this is, but I've always liked this scoop. As I understand it, he has a fan mounted underthe scoop for extra venting/airflow.

fanonenginecover1.jpg

I'd bet it's an exhaust fan....

Scoop on the driver's side, opening facing rear... Brett M I think may have one as well, without scoop. Draws air up and out vs. down and into carb.

I think you have some good ideas Tim...

... and looking at your foto... one can see how well that snorkel would work with a pair of down-draft carbs with where it sits now.

The idea of a couple of slides is great and an easy solution... so would a hinge at the rear of the snorkel... and as you said... there are so many different ways til next Tuesday to do this.

As I stated, with my idea, my design would not have had the two-carb-hump in the middle and the entire "base" of the snorkel would have fit UNDER the engine cover with only the "upright" sticking up through a "widened" vent slot in the cover. The snorkel dressed to the left-hand side, would have then been "ducted" in such a manner over to the carb or carbs, on the right-hand side... or to the FI intake directly on the left!

I think it woulda been really cool and actually woulda worked well also in many respects. But like I said... I really needed the POWER to match the LOOKS.

Just ask old George (Cossei) about that in his currently all stock engine powered Martini-Clone Dallara Racer! HA! But now he's working on the engine too!

WATCH OUT!

Good solution Thai...

Note that most other snorkels are CLOSER to the Targa and interfered with the hood opening.

Yours appears to get around that... The only question now is if it is indeed still in a high pressure part of the air stream coming over the roof.

I (frankly) feel that the original FAZA scoop actually MISSED it as the air was thrown over the top of it. Yours instead, may be in an area of turbulence.

Got a wind tunnel handy... Maybe some streamers taped to the car or on a stick held up into the wind would help indicate where it might be best located as ya speed down the road...

Unless, this is just and exercise in looking HOT... disregard my previous comments.

Back