those with snorkels

another pic

fanonenginecover.jpg

well secured it with some duct tape(read half a roll)
and it stayed put at 60mph, which is more than enough, weather or not it actually catches any air... thats still to be determined

but heres some more pics
68843_1647671391205_1219530682_1761859_372817_n.jpg

more than enough clearance:headbang:
68315_1647673551259_1219530682_1761874_4180130_n.jpg

Looks great! I just bought 2 sheets of 18x36 aluminum today myself. Maybe I'll get around to a cardboard template/mock-up this weekend as well?? I might need another sheet or 2. Regular price was $48.xx per sheet, but I was able to work a deal at $48 for both :)

Got a wind tunnel handy... Maybe some streamers taped to the car or on a stick held up into the wind would help indicate where it might be best located as ya speed down the road...

please do this.
Or if this info is already out there, can somebody point it out?
I know, I know... search here I come.

well i used a leaf blower, and i think it sort of is working, but i havent cut the slats out of the engine cover yet, so i think the air flow is just getting cavitation, and i also need to make a plenum box to force the air around the carburetors as well

HA! Great Idea Thai... I understand...

... that some are even marked with their VELOCITIES... like 110mph worth of airflow!

I think ya haveta really aim it at the WINDSHIELD though... and maybe tape some streamers all over the place to see what's going on.

DO MAKE US A VIDEO of this if ya do!

I wonder if one of those CARPET DRYING fans might be better! Rent a couple of those anywhere...

Options

Hi

Really interesting discussion. I bought a Faza snorkel this summer and was planning on installation over the winter. I was playing with the ideas of pins on the engine covers and rails. I prefered the rails options because I'm not sure I will be using the snorkel daily. Maybe just at the track to impress the other competitors (well, until they saw my times...). I was also thinking about pins on the snorkel base.

Tony's idea to make it fit UNDER the engine cover is interesting. It never occured to me. I will have to look at how much engine cover needs to be cut to clear the snorkel while the cover is opening. It may be too much since the snorkel is relatively high.

The rear hinges are not a bad idea either. I also have seen one guy with a side opening engine cover (I think the Scorpion are opening like that). But it is way too much for my fabricating skill talents.

The bad rearview, I could live with if I only use it while racing. Especially since I want it to draw air to the carbs, not just for easthetics pleasure.

Please, keep sharing ideas. I like that.

Daniel Forest
Montreal

I have to ask, do snorkels do much? It would seem like you'd have to have a fairly constant high speed to make much difference, not to mention an engine and intake system that actually would benefit from the rammed air. They look cool (on a racer anyway). I like the idea of one that would slide into a modded engine cover, then could be removed and a blanking panel slid in when not needed (street use).

Daniel... my idea of placing the snorkel...

... under the engine cover was basically for a snorkel of my OWN design.

I would NOT hack up a FAZA snorkel to do it.

As Thai demonstrated, it really doesn't take that much to design your own, especially using paper and foam board to start.

I also planned on placing it directly BEHIND the driver and then duct the air over to the carbs or to the FI intake... ONLY ONE rung of the stock engine cover would have needed to be removed for a fairly decent sized snorkel body to fit and then stand up to the stresses of wind and side pressures.

Lastly... I envisioned also building in TWO pieces with a base affixed below and then the body of the snorkel slipped through the cover and then bolted to the base. (The curvature of the snorkel body would be so that the cover could open and close fully also...) Secondly... the INLET could also then be a FISH-MOUTH or FLAT-OVAL design peeking over the Targa Top or designed in almost any configuration you want without being restricted by the engine cover's slot's width.

In a word, YES...

1. Cooler air...
2. Increased pressure
3. Cool looks and intimidation

And as I said earlier... I used the stock side vent as a snorkel of sorts as the "intimidation factor" was a bit too much for the 80 or so horsepower I had on tap.

For a few bucks (2 1/2" X 3' ducting and some duct tape) you can "STARE AND COMPARE" for yourself and see if I'm a liar!

HA!

TonyK's passenger side scoop

1. Cooler air...
2. Increased pressure
3. Cool looks and intimidation

And as I said earlier... I used the stock side vent as a snorkel of sorts as the "intimidation factor" was a bit too much for the 80 or so horsepower I had on tap.

For a few bucks (2 1/2" X 3' ducting and some duct tape) you can "STARE AND COMPARE" for yourself and see if I'm a liar!

HA!

Back at the 20005 Freak Out I took this picture of TonyK's X with his custom side scoop:
im0012719jg.jpg

I thought I had a pic from behind to show how the air was routed, but I can't find it. Bummer. :(

IIRC, he had a flex tube that left the scoop and followed the contour of the inner targa down toward the engine bay. Then it entered the engine bay thru a hole cut in the the pass side engine bay corner trim. Then over to his carb. Maybe TonyK will have a pic he can share.

This thing also doubles as a passenger hat catcher. So that's a plus. :thumbsup:

Back at the 20005 Freak Out I took this picture of TonyK's X with his custom side scoop:

I thought I had a pic from behind to show how the air was routed, but I can't find it. Bummer. :(

IIRC, he had a flex tube that left the scoop and followed the contour of the inner targa down toward the engine bay. Then it entered the engine bay thru a hole cut in the the pass side engine bay corner trim. Then over to his carb. Maybe TonyK will have a pic he can share.

This thing also doubles as a passenger hat catcher. So that's a plus. :thumbsup:

I like that. If you had one on each side it sort of resembles the run about a little:

url

:italia:
There is a point where form meets function just doesn't work (for me). That snorkel for the MR2 is one. Its just plan ugly.

How about make the angle of the sides match the sides of

the roll bar...more air and well......just a thought........:) / \
My best....Bobr

HAHAHA... indeed it is, Tim...

... but I would call it more "menacing" than "ugly".

I sure looks "effective" as well!

Back